Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 11:39 AM

263 posts, read 234,214 times

Advertisements

I live in Silicon Valley. When dropping my car rental on Friday late afternoon I bumped into a group of Polish tourists in 20's from Poland. I asked them reason for their visit and they told me for work meeting related but it looked to me more as students visiting their host friend who lives in Silicon Valley. They could be for both reasons but the fact that it was late Friday start of weekend and they did not have credit card and needed their friend to come to pay with CC, indicates most likely students who looked like they are in undergraduate college age range.

After introducing myself to them and few chats we did not exchange contact information including their host. I understand they did not want to invite to a road trip with a stranger but I felt disappointed that the local host did not want to actully get to know each other but rather they left quickly once they got their reservation. They all could had been visitors but unlikely.
Actually I could tell the moment I recognized they speak Polish and I came out to them, they smirked an entire time like they felt akward.

What your luck have been so far when you have met your country men in a foreign country? Did you make friends?
Does not have to be from your country. In case for English it could be from any English speaking country in nom-English country for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:50 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
When I'M traveling the last people I want to meet are other Americans.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:38 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
When I'M traveling the last people I want to meet are other Americans.

Exactly how I feel. I don't visit foreign countries to meet Brits, it's far more interesting chatting with locals.

Even at the airport going home I prefer not to, but I don't mind during transatlantic flights. Breaks the boredom of the flight, I guess.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:27 PM

170 posts, read 316,499 times
I made friends easily with people from here. I was in the Bahamas and since it was football season, I ran into a bunch of Niners fans which I thought was crazy.

But otherwise in most of my travels I really don't see much Americans.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:47 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
When I meet people from other countries that I have spent a significant time in, I can chat with them easily. Sometimes we exchange contact information and sometimes not just like any other person that I meet.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:24 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When I meet people from other countries that I have spent a significant time in, I can chat with them easily. Sometimes we exchange contact information and sometimes not just like any other person that I meet.
This is our experience as well.

OP - it sounds like you were making MANY assumptions about this group. Perhaps all your questions made them wary of you. Perhaps there was an age difference? Perhaps they had just arrived and were not concentrating on meeting people. Maybe their mothers taught them not to talk to strangers.

Whatever. For a group of people to arrive in a foreign country and not know they need a credit card to rent a car sounds bizarre to me. I suspect you're well shod of them.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:01 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Usually I avoid French tourists when I'm travelling, because they sometimes can be obnoxious (not even wanting to learn the basics of the language they travel through). The worse are the package holida tourists and retirees (those are often half deaf, so they tend to speak very loud to say the stupidest of things, like I won't come to the USA anymore, because they gave me my steaks well done although I had asked rare). French Canadians are different though and I always had fun time with tem (besides for us their accent is exotic but I like it, it's the way the French spoke in the 18th century).

Old 09-04-2016, 12:23 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times
I don't mind meeting other Taiwanese people when I'm traveling. I wouldn't actively look for them but they are usually pretty ok. Like well-behaved and willing to help fellow Taiwanese and stuff.

I definitely would try to avoid Chinese tourists though, which is both difficult and easy at the same time. Difficult because there are a **** ton of them, easy because they are very concentrated in specific areas and are extremely obvious. It's kinda an irrational kneejerk reaction but eh, I can't help it.

The other two nationalities I don't mind meeting are Singaporeans and HKers. They are usually fairly easy to chat with.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:33 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
When traveling, I try to meet other foreigners. Yes, I'm open to meet peopel from other English speaking countries but not U.S. so much. Not sure why, but I've had some interesting conversations with Americans on the plane coming back.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I purposefully stay away from other Americans. Hell, I don't even like travelers from other countries. I find most to be obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel