Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 07:53 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times

Advertisements

I've heard people in the know say that Allegiant uses old planes and they have mechanical issues all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit and Frontier are the same in that regard as well. Fly on those 3 at your own risk I honestly don't think I trust them. Southwest has small crappy planes but at least they are reliable and I don't think I have to worry about dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 11:16 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Until last week, I hadn't even heard of Spirit so when it came on top on Expedia I took notice. Flying round trip to LAX from PHL for $489 for two seemed like a bargain until you start paying attention. Checked bags $40 per passenger ($100 if checked at the gate) so we decided to take just one piece. But then you start hitting the weight limit (40lb). That's 15lb per person if you take out the weight of the luggage itself. Then comes the seats. There are no free seats, which makes you wonder what are the tickets for. Cough up $22 a seat. Once you board you realize you are sitting on basically what amounts to jumps seats, non-reclining and impossibly close. Sitting 6 hours in those seats is positively a health hazard. And here is the kicker. On the return flight, we go through Atlanta. You are charged another luggage fee between Atlanta and Philly. To make a long story short, here s the breakdown of flying a "discount" airline.
  1. Original ticket price(2)- $489
  2. Luggage(PHL-LAX)-$40
  3. Seats(PHL-LAX)-$44
  4. Luggage(LAX-ATL-PHL)-$80
  5. Seats(LAX-ATL)-$110
  6. Seats(ATL-PHL)-$70
    Total...............$833

I am not counting the aggravation factor, the horrible web site that crashed multiple times and the nagging feeling of wondering if you are doing things EXACTLy as required. I am sure I could have gotten the same deal with a "real" airline. How they stay in business eludes me.

Are you attempting to say your carry on bag weighs 10bs so you can only put 15lbs of crap in each?

We flew spirit to Denver for 90.00 all in round trip for two and we both just took backpacks. Easy as it comes but you do have to read and understand what you agreed to

Old 05-15-2017, 12:56 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

I have it all figured out - guys like you pay for it!
It works exactly like that.

I never understood how credit card companies make money because I make full payment every time, until I learned that a friend of makes the mininum payment each month for years.

There will always be a lot of people who think they need this and that additional services (checked in luggages, better seats, wines on board etc), which makes these companines profitable.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
I despise Spirit. I will not fly them and wish I would exempt them from those apps and websites that search low fares. Just seeing their stupid name irritates me. And I only flew with them twice.
#neverspirit

Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It works exactly like that.

I never understood how credit card companies make money because I make full payment every time, until I learned that a friend of makes the mininum payment each month for years.

There will always be a lot of people who think they need this and that additional services (checked in luggages, better seats, wines on board etc), which makes these companines profitable.
Spirit isn't just low cost though. They are awful. Like TAP and WOW. Icelandair is low cost, you have to buy your snacks and food and the seats suck, but it's not an unpleasant experience.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Spirit isn't just low cost though. They are awful. Like TAP and WOW. Icelandair is low cost, you have to buy your snacks and food and the seats suck, but it's not an unpleasant experience.
but as long as they offer low fare, people will fly with them. Most people only care about being transported from A to B. If it is 5 bucks cheaper, they will buy it.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's why so many people bring huge suitcases on board that are so heavy they can't even lift them into the overhead bin. Wait until airlines start having you put your carryon bag into that handy little sizer that's at every gate. 90 percent won't fit.
Can't remember which airline I flew last year to my nephew's funeral-maybe Delta- but they had a rule only soft bags like duffle bags without wheels were allowed in the overheads now. Any regular pull along carry on bag was checked at the gate for free. We had to pick it up on the tarmac and take it to our connectingg flight and they checked it at the gate their too.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:06 PM

212 posts, read 156,493 times
I will never understand why people complain about "hidden" fees on Spirit. They are far from hidden and I'm someone who typically skims through things. You need to know how you travel. I personally would never want to choose a sit at the airport (Southwest is an exception) due to not wanting the middle seat, being next to the bathroom, or being all the way in the back.

I just played on Spirit's website for round trip from San Diego to Baltimore. Flight is nonstop for $259. 1 piece of luggage checked in is $30 each way ($37 each way for a carry on....At first I didn't understand this, but due to people stuffing the overhead bins so much, I get it). $22 each way for an exit row seat soooooo total for luggage and seat is $104. Total cost with ticket is $363. If I were to book a flight on the same days and around the same times it would be $338 on Southwest with luggage) and $337 (ticket) on Alaskan, $25 each way for 1 checked in bag =$386.

In any case, Spirit for those who don't care about seat assignment might be cheaper but isn't always.

I recently got the Spirit credit card due to a promotion that they have which seemed pretty good- 1 roundtrip ticket from CA to East Coast included, and a $100 statement credit, and $0 annual fee (the first year...then $59 a year). I don't plan on keeping the card once there is an annual fee (usually I get those fees waived though when I try to cancel).

I have yet to fly Spirit though. The worst thing about it to me is the fact that it seems like nearly all of their flights have a really late departure due to delays.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
I never fly Spirit, I have never flown it but given the terms and conditions and the horrific ratings out there I would never even consider it, perhaps if it was free I would. In addition, as you found out Spirit is often more expensive than the others when the services provided are of an equivalent nature so it is basically paying more for the worst service ever. Why would anyone do that to themselves?

Old 05-22-2017, 06:44 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
OP. Thanks for the heads up. I was considering a flight on Sprint but changed my mind. Got a ticket on SW. Refundable also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel