Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:25 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
The forum's search function is currently under maintenance so I will use that as my excuse to ask my specific question....

I have already made the dumb mistake of booking a roundtrip trip using two different airlines, connecting in both directions at LaGuardia. That's done and, no, I won't do it again. I will have only carry-on bags, so I am not concerned about the baggage check. But I am a little confused about where I will get my boarding pass for the second leg, on the return trip. I don't have a smartphone, and when I am on my return trip, I won't be able to print my boarding passes. After I get off the [Delta] flight at LaGuardia, where will I get my boarding pass for my connecting flight on Southwest?

The only bright spot in this is that I have given myself a pretty long layover, so if I have to go out to the ticketing area, then back in through security again, I can. (But ugh.)

Thanks!

You can check into your Southwest flight 24 hours before and put your boarding pass on your smart phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 12:38 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You can check into your Southwest flight 24 hours before and put your boarding pass on your smart phone.
You missed the line where OP said he doesn't have a smart phone.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You missed the line where OP said he doesn't have a smart phone.
Well...I sure did...

Old 05-18-2017, 11:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
I absolutely agree. I have a sort of ridiculously high level of loyalty to Southwest for this and other reasons. But I was / am trying to get to Vermont and I am tired of the driving required from Southwest's closest targets, Albany, NY and Manchester, NH.
Where in Vermont? I winter at Killington. I usually just drive to Boston/Logan and take a nonstop. It's cheaper and quicker than dealing with a connection in some hub. You never get stranded. It's 2h 45m to Logan. It's 90 minutes to BTV and 2 hours to MHT. Door to door, flying out of Logan is always the fastest way as long as you avoid the Boston rush hour. It also lets me use JetBlue which is by far the best airline in New England. Wider Airbus seats. More seat pitch. You can usually get an aisle seat in row 20 or higher where you're in boarding group 3 where you have space for your roll-aboard. Or you can pay extra for the front of the plane and early boarding. Other than the change fee, it's almost always better than Southwest.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Where in Vermont? I winter at Killington.
Middlebury. (Departing from Chicago, with Midway being by FAR the more convenient airport for me.) I'll read and think about your suggestion more carefully, though. Thank you for helping me try to solve this!

Old 05-20-2017, 10:30 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
I have already made the dumb mistake of booking a roundtrip trip using two different airlines, connecting in both directions at LaGuardia.
It's not a dumb mistake. If it is the best path that fits your flight plans, costs less, and you have enough buffer between flights go for it.

Kiwi.com slaps together some amazingly cheap flight itineraries by doing this, although they have some type of guarantee for missing the connection that thankfully I've not had to learn about yet.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Whatever you do, make sure you don't check a firearm in your baggage. I've heard of people just changing planes in NYC getting arrested and thrown in jail for having a pistol in their checked baggage, even though it was legal at the point of origin and the destination. Personally, I would avoid that hellhole at all costs.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's not a dumb mistake. If it is the best path that fits your flight plans, costs less, and you have enough buffer between flights go for it.

Kiwi.com slaps together some amazingly cheap flight itineraries by doing this, although they have some type of guarantee for missing the connection that thankfully I've not had to learn about yet.

Thanks for this response. I have changed my flights for this trip but I have been briefly looking at kiwi.com (and its guarantee) and I may be using it in the future. I had not heard about it before.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel