Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:42 AM

810 posts, read 667,820 times

Advertisements

I think every traveler has a "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" location or so. You had a pretty good time. The food was decent. You even got some great pictures. But for whatever reason........ you're good with ONE visit in your lifetime. The reasons can vary: it was expensive, it was a little too far, there are other places you'd rather see, there wasn't a ton to do, etc.

Tell us where you went and a little bit about it. Then tell us why you're unlikely to revisit.

Please stay away from terrible locations where the overwhelming climate of your visit was negative or underwhelming. I'm looking for GOOD to VERY GOOD spots that you're content to cross off your list and move on. Here are a few of mine:

-Puebla de Zaragoza, Mexico: Very charming colonial city with an impressive historic center. The architecture is pretty amazing and parts of it made you think you were in Spain. As the culinary capital of Mexico the food was very good and had offerings from all over the world. Very laid back with friendly locals.

won't revisit because: It just took too long to get to by bus/car. Where I live airfare is more expensive than Europe If you connect in Mexico City. A week was about 3 days too long and made us wish we split time with Mexico City. Not enough attractions to warrant a single trip. Landlocked. Air pollution.

-Brussels, Belgium: Wonderful architecture. Grand Place was amazing. The beer, waffles, and chocolate were worth the price of admission.

won't revisit because: While there were some scenic spots (especially near Grand Place) the majority was a little rough around the edges, dirty and worn. Lots of scaffolding and construction. (The dome of the Palace of Justice has been in scaffolding for 15+ years!!!) Being the capital of the EU the whole places (including the subway) seems to close up shop after 5PM. A bit underwhelming if using it as a leg with other European capitals. Brussels is a great base to visit far more interesting places like Ghent or Bruges but not a destination per se.

-Key West, FL: Party central, especially on Duval Street. Good time city. Something fun for just about everyone. Excellent Fish tacos. Great for cruise ship port.

unlikely to revisit because: You're in Florida and there are less crowded more scenic places. Takes too long to get to (Even from Miami). A little "too" touristy. Tropical drinks/bars too expensive. Very small.

now some of yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 08:52 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Phuket, Thailand
Needless to say, the beach was great, the food was awesome, the price was reasonable.
But I'm not likely to revisit Phuket because it's far away and I want to explore other beaches.

Tokyo, Japan.
I spent a whole week there and I think I had seen everything I wanted to see.

Crater Lake, Oregon
The most beautiful lake I've ever seen in my whole life. Actually, I really want to visit it again in summer. But the inconvenient location makes re-visitation too costly(time and money).

Old 06-23-2017, 10:02 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
New Orleans

Loved the history, architecture, and food options and I think it's one of those "bucket list" places for a lot of people just because it is so legendary in American history and culture. The French Quarter is indeed a very unique and special place and I'm very glad that we got to see it, thanks to our kids who got us a gift card for a wonderful restaurant on Royal St. because we were vacationing in the general region. The downtown along Canal St. is also very charming and lovely, I didn't even know they had such a nice downtown!

Don't need to go back because:
First and foremost, my DH didn't like it. At all. And since he's my traveling companion, there you go. We were there during the day which was great but you can tell that it turns into "crazy party central" at night (duh, Bourbon St.) and we don't party at all, so we don't need to go back to see how the nightlife is. Also, some parts of the city that we had to drive through to get down to the French Quarter still looked depressingly ravaged by Katrina (houses with gaping holes in the roof), even after all these years (we were just there last month). I guess I would go back if it was with our adult kids who have never seen it, but aside from that, I think we're done.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 AM

810 posts, read 667,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
New Orleans

Loved the history, architecture, and food options and I think it's one of those "bucket list" places for a lot of people just because it is so legendary in American history and culture. The French Quarter is indeed a very unique and special place and I'm very glad that we got to see it, thanks to our kids who got us a gift card for a wonderful restaurant on Royal St. because we were vacationing in the general region. The downtown along Canal St. is also very charming and lovely, I didn't even know they had such a nice downtown!

Don't need to go back because:
First and foremost, my DH didn't like it. At all. And since he's my traveling companion, there you go. We were there during the day which was great but you can tell that it turns into "crazy party central" at night (duh, Bourbon St.) and we don't party at all, so we don't need to go back to see how the nightlife is. Also, some parts of the city that we had to drive through to get down to the French Quarter still looked depressingly ravaged by Katrina (houses with gaping holes in the roof), even after all these years (we were just there last month). I guess I would go back if it was with our adult kids who have never seen it, but aside from that, I think we're done.
Thanks for your contribution. I was wondering if New Orleans would surface. Both My in-laws went, along with my brother and his wife on a separate trips. The consensus from both was "yea. we saw it.....Bourbon street smelled like puke and urine.."

Old 06-23-2017, 10:32 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
New Orleans

WOW!
This is mine too.
Absolutely loved loved the architecture and uniqueness of it... and while I love good food and drinks.. I see no reason why I'd go back.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:03 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Venice, too expensive for our tastes and it didn't feel like Italy at all.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:21 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
New Orleans - I went twice before Katrina and don't want to see what it's like after.

Borneo - loved it, but once is enough. I'd certainly return to Kuala Lampur and other places in Malaysia, though.

Escondido, Mexico; Freeport, Jamaica; Nassau, Bahamas; Falmounth, Jamaica, Cartegena, Columbia; Acapulco, Mexico;
La Goulette, Tunisia - all cruise stops where I enjoyed it, but Iwould absolutely just stay on the ship if I were to stop there again.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:23 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Thanks for your contribution. I was wondering if New Orleans would surface. Both My in-laws went, along with my brother and his wife on a separate trips. The consensus from both was "yea. we saw it.....Bourbon street smelled like puke and urine.."
Well, we didn't actually walk down Bourbon St., but as we drove in we crossed it at an intersection and my first thought was, "Oh, wow, the notorious Bourbon St.!" and my second thought was, "Why are they hosing down the street at 8 am?" In retrospect I wonder if it was to clean up from all of the revelry the night before, especially after I got home and read some online accounts of what exactly goes on down there at night. It's definitely not my cup of tea, that's for sure.

There were also quite a few really sad looking homeless people down in the French Quarter. One guy looked like he was maybe in his early twenties and he was filthy, barefoot, and had a black eye and other marks on him that looked like he had been beaten the night before. Not that you can't find people like that anywhere else, but it added to the slightly seedy feeling of the area overall.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:04 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Milan -- there's a lot to see and do...the Duomo, the shopping, the castle, the Last Supper. Speaking of supper there was some very good food.

But it was too big for my liking...with extremes of glitzy and gritty. There are two (or more) Italys and this is one that I don't need to see again.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
New Orleans - I went twice before Katrina and don't want to see what it's like after.

Borneo - loved it, but once is enough. I'd certainly return to Kuala Lampur and other places in Malaysia, though.

Escondido, Mexico; Freeport, Jamaica; Nassau, Bahamas; Falmounth, Jamaica, Cartegena, Columbia; Acapulco, Mexico;
La Goulette, Tunisia - all cruise stops where I enjoyed it, but Iwould absolutely just stay on the ship if I were to stop there again.
We went AFTER Katrina and the bus tour of the 9th Ward was one of the hightisghts of ourtrip. You won[t see a lot of wreckage, but sone wonderful rebuilding. WE LOVE NOLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel