Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:50 PM

6,763 posts, read 5,066,113 times

Advertisements

Edit: Barrow, AK record high is 79F. How's that?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 04:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I've been interested in Upper Peninsula of Michigan for quite some time.

To me, it sounds like a far less touristy place than world famous destinations like Yellowstone. I hope the cost is also more reasonable. Is it possible to spend a whole week there without breaking the bank? I need a decent place to sleep, camping isn't my thing.

Thanks
If you aren't starting in the Midwest, the expensive part os probably plane ticket- airports have limited service with limited competition. Flying into Green Bay and picking up a rental car there might be the best option.

Houghton (Keewenaw Peninsula), Marquette (central UP), and Sault Ste. Marie (eastern UP) are all small college towns that should have generally affordable hotel options. Munising, the gateway to Pictured Rocks NL, is smaller, but does have some modest to mid-level hotels and motels that shouldn't be too bad.

If the exchange rate is good, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario is bigger than its Soo twin across the river, and might be a good hotel and shopping option.

If you're on a budget, Mackinac Island is probably best done as a day trip- pick a hotel near the ferry depot in St. Ignance (UP) or Mackinac City (LP) that fits needs and budget.

In general, it's a colder area further away from Chicago and Detroit and that keeps prices lower than Northern Lower Peninsula resort areas like Traverse City, Charlevoix, and Petoskey.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:38 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
An absolute guarantee? Not in North America. Record high in Fairbanks, AK is 99 F. Leadville, CO: 90 F. Astoria, OR: 101 F. Churchill, Manitoba: 98 F.
Astoria, OR: 101F. Given my experience 2 years ago, that doesn't scare me. Like I said, previously, it was 100+ in Medford, OR, that day, as I was headed for Gold Beach, and having taken the back roads into Gold Beach, it was still hot as blazes even 5-10 miles from the ocean, and it wasn't until the last mile that there was a dramatic turn in temperatures, where I needed a sweater.

Another poster suggested the coast of Maine, so that will be another consideration, just fly to Boston and head northeast!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,718,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you aren't starting in the Midwest, the expensive part os probably plane ticket- airports have limited service with limited competition. Flying into Green Bay and picking up a rental car there might be the best option.

Houghton (Keewenaw Peninsula), Marquette (central UP), and Sault Ste. Marie (eastern UP) are all small college towns that should have generally affordable hotel options. Munising, the gateway to Pictured Rocks NL, is smaller, but does have some modest to mid-level hotels and motels that shouldn't be too bad.

If the exchange rate is good, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario is bigger than its Soo twin across the river, and might be a good hotel and shopping option.

If you're on a budget, Mackinac Island is probably best done as a day trip- pick a hotel near the ferry depot in St. Ignance (UP) or Mackinac City (LP) that fits needs and budget.

In general, it's a colder area further away from Chicago and Detroit and that keeps prices lower than Northern Lower Peninsula resort areas like Traverse City, Charlevoix, and Petoskey.
I don't fly unless I have to.

But driving from Tulsa to UP is a little bit too much for me. Maybe it's cheaper to fly to Milwaukee?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
How about Australia? When I arrive for my upcoming trip, the forecast high in Sydney is supposed to be 50+ degrees colder than the forecast high here in Phoenix today. I'll be going from 110 to 58.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM

735 posts, read 872,517 times
How about a place that they are still trying to dig through 40 feet of snow?

Road to snowy and scenic Artist Point will open Thursday, WSDOT says | The Seattle Times

Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
After my failed attempt to cool off for a week from the Las Vegas heat, I'm already thinking of next summer of a guaranteed place. Key word: guaranteed!

Grand Junction was certainly no cool off, and neither was a trip to the east to Vail and into the mountains. So I wont' do that again! I forgot, at 10,000 feet up the sun is more fierce!

"Come back home to Minnesota!" Yeah, yeah, but no guarantees there, as I've checked the temps every single day for 21 years since I left there. A couple weeks ago, 90 and 93 in Minneapolis. And high 80's even in Duluth!

2 years ago I did the Oregon Coast. Driving through Medford at 100 degrees I couldn't believe there'd be that much of a cool off in such a short distance, but the minute I drove into Gold Beach, I needed a sweater.

So, I'm thinking of going back to the Oregon Coast next year again, unless I can find another guaranteed place in the U.S., if there is any other place. Yes, I know there's lots of foreign destinations, like in the Southern Hemisphere where the winters and summers are reversed, but I'm just not up to any more foreign travel. Been there, done that!

How about you? Any guaranteed places you can think of?

Hibbing was in the mid-30's this week for lows

Old 06-29-2017, 12:18 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
How about Australia? When I arrive for my upcoming trip, the forecast high in Sydney is supposed to be 50+ degrees colder than the forecast high here in Phoenix today. I'll be going from 110 to 58.
But, you'll have some higher humidity to make it feel much more comfortable! Unlike 58 in Phoenix with 5-10% humidity!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:10 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,610 times
Try Banff/Canmore. It could be warm but it's unlikely that it'll be hot. It snowed on me in August when camping just outside of Canmore and only a few hundred feet higher in elevation. In addition to pleasant weather, the scenery is jaw-dropping!

Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But, you'll have some higher humidity to make it feel much more comfortable! Unlike 58 in Phoenix with 5-10% humidity!
Not IME. When the humidity is up and the temps are down (forecast lows around 40), the chill is stronger.

Either way, I am going to FREEZE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel