Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 01:47 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Personally, I don't plan to go to any new major attractions in the first year+ that it's open. It's just not worth the wait times, IMO. (This was DEFINITELY true in the case of Harry Potter at Universal) I figure if the park is going to put out that kind of investment to build the attraction, it's going to be there for a very very long time. I'll get there eventually. LOL!
I've never seen Avatar so it definitely wasn't worth it to me. The N'avi River Journey wasn't anything special and I could have skipped it altogether. I loved Dinosaur, Expedition Forest and the Safari.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 02:42 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
MEh, you aren't missing much. Disney is overrated. I really didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Do the Single Rider lines really move faster? Can I depend on them instead of burning through my FastPasses?

Old 07-20-2017, 06:58 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do the Single Rider lines really move faster? Can I depend on them instead of burning through my FastPasses?
Depends. I always went the last week of January to Disney then spend the first week of February with my grandmother nearby.

I never had a problem with regular lines.

Fast pass is good for going on something that you want to ride again. Or something that seems to have a long line.

If you insist on just 2 parks, Epcot is a definite and if you've never been there, I'd do the magic kingdom, where it all started. Oh, and in magic kingdom you MUST ride ' It's a small world" ( if it's still there, it's been a couple years since I was last, but I'm Disney world out). If you ride it you'll see why it's the brunt of a lot of jokes- in and out of the park....but it was also one of the First "amimatronics" .... besides Abraham Lincoln on the American history stage.

Best of luck and DO let us know what you decide and how you enjoyed it!

PS if you only go for a weekend, you'll WANT to go back to see MORE, trust me!

PSS: you have the option of doing a lot of online research, something not available when I used to go as a teen In the 70s and an adult in the 80s.now, as I said ive been probably 20 times, and can give the tour!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:05 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
I see on dating profiles, and otherwise hear from folks I talk to where single ladies like to visit Disneyland (the one in CA) on their own. From a safety, costs, social, and "crazy" perspective, they all seem fine. However, as for "crazy", do heed the advice here from others about peak times, and other tips. I hear they've gotten more crowded in recent years.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:43 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Single rider lines definitely move faster than the regular lines. Generally (but not always), FastPass lines move faster than single rider lines.

You're limited to the number of FastPasses you can "reserve" at a given time. You get three and have to use them before booking your next three. Use whatever FastPasses you can get, and definitely get them for the most popular rides. For everything else, use Single Rider lines. (BTW, not all rides have single rider lines)

Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Definitely not depressing for those of us who are used to traveling solo. I actually PREFER to go alone. Much less stressful and more enjoyable for me.
I love traveling solo. But not to amusement parks. It just seems inherently sad to go on rides solo.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:41 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I love traveling solo. But not to amusement parks. It just seems inherently sad to go on rides solo.
Definitely not. The ride experience is no different for me whether I know the person sitting next to me or not.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Definitely not. The ride experience is no different for me whether I know the person sitting next to me or not.
Exactly. Since I'm single, I'm pretty used to doing everything by myself. It doesn't bother me at all. This is not my first solo vacation.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I also wouldn't want to go alone. That seems depressing.
Admittedly, Disney would not be my choice of vacation under any circumstances. However, I've already been there so have little desire to go again.

What seems most depressing to me are families who spend money they don't have during the peak school vacation periods with the biggest crowds and the very highest prices. Creating great pressure on themselves to create the 'perfect' vacation for their families. Once in a lifetime. It just has to be perfect because so much money (often on credit) is being spent. Huge wait times for everything and having to pay for 'fast passes' (or whatever it's called) for every ride. Trying to get in the restaurants at the peak family dining times, and being pushed quickly through so that the next family can take your table, etc, etc.

or...

Be free to choose the very lightest crowd times of the year for the visit. The times when almost everything also costs much less. things move at a slightly slower pace with less crowding. Free to choose later dining times when families are in bed and it's less busy. Relaxed. No pressure to overspend or create the elusive "perfect" vacation for the family while fighting through the thousands of other families trying to do the same. Just take a few days and enjoy at your own pace. Doing it for yourself with no pressure for perfection. Just because you always wanted to do it.

Which one is more depressing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel