Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:51 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,972,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Admittedly, Disney would not be my choice of vacation under any circumstances. However, I've already been there so have little desire to go again.

What seems most depressing to me are families who spend money they don't have during the peak school vacation periods with the biggest crowds and the very highest prices. Creating great pressure on themselves to create the 'perfect' vacation for their families. Once in a lifetime. It just has to be perfect because so much money (often on credit) is being spent. Huge wait times for everything and having to pay for 'fast passes' (or whatever it's called) for every ride. Trying to get in the restaurants at the peak family dining times, and being pushed quickly through so that the next family can take your table, etc, etc.

or...

Be free to choose the very lightest crowd times of the year for the visit. The times when almost everything also costs much less. things move at a slightly slower pace with less crowding. Free to choose later dining times when families are in bed and it's less busy. Relaxed. No pressure to overspend or create the elusive "perfect" vacation for the family while fighting through the thousands of other families trying to do the same. Just take a few days and enjoy at your own pace. Doing it for yourself with no pressure for perfection. Just because you always wanted to do it.

Which one is more depressing?
Our Disney vacation for our family of 4 two weeks ago cost us about the same as it would had we gone to the beach for a week. We didn't feel the need to stay in a resort we couldn't afford. Fast passes don't cost extra. We took whatever reservations they had available that week because we booked 3 months out. We ate dinner at 9:30 at Ohana's. Most of our reservations were for earlier (7:15, 6:30, 6pm, 7, 7:30). We just adjusted our schedule as needed to make the reservations work for each particular day. Was the whole vacation perfect? Heck no. Did I think it would be? Heck no. I'm a parent and I know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 03:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,538,865 times
Thanks for all the input so far. I've decided on the following:

Friday: Hollywood Studios
Saturday: Magic Kingdom
Sunday: Epcot

I'll get a regular 3 day pass without the hopper option. I'm also not going to eat at any restaurants that require a reservation. I will be staying "on property" but not at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Frankly, they didn't offer any perks for $400-500 a night. When I pay those types of prices, I expect a little something extra.

Once I get my housing situation worked out (I'm moving), I'll start booking things. Hopefully in the next 2-3 wks.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:01 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,707,053 times
Do NOT do Hollywood Studios right now. It is a huge waste of money because a large section of it is closed for renovations. You're basically only getting 1/2 a park for what you are paying. On the other hand, Animal Kingdom just opened up a whole new section (the Avatar section), so you are actually getting to see something new if you go there.

If there is something new and they have morning extra magic hours, you do that instead of wasting your fast pass on it. You just wait there when the park opens and run to that ride. Since you are single, you can do this. I'm a Floridian and this is what Floridian veterans do as well. So if you do Animal Kingdom you want to do the Avatar ride that way, and at Magic Kingdom it has been Mine Train for a while. I think they redid Soarin' at Epcot so that is probably the one there.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 PM

337 posts, read 277,152 times
I don't know if DW has this (DL does) but they have lines on many rides if you are a single rider. I've gone to DL solo and it was great =)

Old 07-22-2017, 07:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,538,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Do NOT do Hollywood Studios right now. It is a huge waste of money because a large section of it is closed for renovations. You're basically only getting 1/2 a park for what you are paying. On the other hand, Animal Kingdom just opened up a whole new section (the Avatar section), so you are actually getting to see something new if you go there.

If there is something new and they have morning extra magic hours, you do that instead of wasting your fast pass on it. You just wait there when the park opens and run to that ride. Since you are single, you can do this. I'm a Floridian and this is what Floridian veterans do as well. So if you do Animal Kingdom you want to do the Avatar ride that way, and at Magic Kingdom it has been Mine Train for a while. I think they redid Soarin' at Epcot so that is probably the one there.
Thanks for your advice. Truth be told, I'm not a big ride person. I only plan on going on 2-3 rides per park. A couple of extra for Magic Kingdom (about 5). I don't care if half of Hollywood Studios is closed. It will be more than enough.

I'm not running, rushing, or waiting in long lines for any ride. Between FastPass, the single rider line, or just slow traffic, my wait limit is about 15-20 minutes. Anything longer and I'll move on. I'm already researching the least attended attractions.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:

When did they close half of Hollywood Studios? We were there during the week of July 4th and none of the rides were closed.

Also Animal Kingdom opened at 9. I think that was the same for everyone as the line was quite long to get inside the park. The Avatar ride always had a line most times it was over a 2 hour wait. It never had fast passes open.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,707,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
When did they close half of Hollywood Studios? We were there during the week of July 4th and none of the rides were closed.

Also Animal Kingdom opened at 9. I think that was the same for everyone as the line was quite long to get inside the park. The Avatar ride always had a line most times it was over a 2 hour wait. It never had fast passes open.
A huge portion of it is closed to rebuild the Star Wars section, which won't open until 2019. It is the area where they used to have the Cars show and the Osborne lights show in the holiday season, as well as Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area for the little ones. If the OP doesn't like rides, I think Hollywood Studios has even fewer offerings--- at least Animal Kingdom has something to see.

There are some days that the park opens early if you are a resort guest. Those are extra magic hours. They are usually one hour before the park opens and then a few hours after it closes, but AK hasn't typically stayed open late in the past. It is usually only once or twice a week, so if you aren't there that day of the week, then you can't go during the extra magic hour.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
A huge portion of it is closed to rebuild the Star Wars section, which won't open until 2019. It is the area where they used to have the Cars show and the Osborne lights show in the holiday season, as well as Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area for the little ones. If the OP doesn't like rides, I think Hollywood Studios has even fewer offerings--- at least Animal Kingdom has something to see.

There are some days that the park opens early if you are a resort guest. Those are extra magic hours. They are usually one hour before the park opens and then a few hours after it closes, but AK hasn't typically stayed open late in the past. It is usually only once or twice a week, so if you aren't there that day of the week, then you can't go during the extra magic hour.
I saw the construction for the new Star Wars section. There was plenty for us to do that day and we stayed at the park all day because we had a dinner reservation at 6:15. I thought it was comparable to Animal Kingdom in the way of rides. Yes, AK closed at 10 I think the day we were there. We stayed at one of the resorts and our travel lady gave us a breakdown of the park hours and anything special that we should see for everyday of our stay.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 PM

252 posts, read 359,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Okay. I need help with a choice. I know I want to see Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I need a third park.
IMO best park in Orlando is Discovery Cove.. Expensive but well worth it. They only let in approx 1,000 people a day.

Last edited by seaduced; 07-22-2017 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel