Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:18 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Rest: just several days or so. Chicago is a one day destination or two. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 11:34 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
New Orleans. I have spent 2 weeks there and never did all I hoped to.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:55 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Also, it was neat staying in a place long enough to get a sense of what it is like to live there. We did grocery shopping, went to the gym, went out to bars and clubs, and made friends with the locals.
There is something to be said for just melting into the scenery and the rhythm of a place. If I had a week and wanted a complete break from my usual rat-race, and had the money, I'd skip the city routine altogether and find a place with a little bit of culture and some history to it and rent a guest house or maybe a small villa in a hill town in Umbria or non-touristy Tuscany, someplace on the coast in Croatia or even Central America or the Caribbean. I've done that a couple times. Of course, the season would have to be comfortable and not prone to hurricanes or volcanoes.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:43 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
New Orleans. I have spent 2 weeks there and never did all I hoped to.
What's funny is, I happen to be in East Texas right now and I'll have a week to spend. New Orleans is 4 hours' drive(or 7.5 hours Amtrak train) from where I am.

I'm considering visiting it.

Actually, I know quite a few people who have been to New Orleans. But almost all of them hate it.

Personally, I don't mind giving it a try. My only concern is safety.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
What's funny is, I happen to be in East Texas right now and I'll have a week to spend. New Orleans is 4 hours' drive(or 7.5 hours Amtrak train) from where I am.

I'm considering visiting it.

Actually, I know quite a few people who have been to New Orleans. But almost all of them hate it.

Personally, I don't mind giving it a try. My only concern is safety.
I loved NOLA, though it helped that I enjoy museums and good food. Here’s a food itinerary:

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...rience-825273/

and an attractions itinerary (scroll down to see what was actually done):

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...nerary-818647/

For safety, I’d suggest staying at lodging in the French Quarter within a rectangle bounded by Canal, Decatur, Ursulines, and Bourbon Streets. Stick to the main streets where there are plenty of people after dark, and don’t hesitate to take a cab of it seems right.

Even though the nasty housing project northwest of Rampart St. is gone, it’s prudent to avoid wandering in that area, especially after dark. And don’t go into the three St. Louis or the Lafayette cemeteries unless you’re taking a guided tour.

You should be okay during daylight hours otherwise. Just keep aware of your surroundings.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I loved NOLA, though it helped that I enjoy museums and good food. Here’s a food itinerary:

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...rience-825273/

and an attractions itinerary (scroll down to see what was actually done):

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...nerary-818647/

For safety, I’d suggest staying at lodging in the French Quarter within a rectangle bounded by Canal, Decatur, Ursulines, and Bourbon Streets. Stick to the main streets where there are plenty of people after dark, and don’t hesitate to take a cab of it seems right.

Even though the nasty housing project northwest of Rampart St. is gone, it’s prudent to avoid wandering in that area, especially after dark. And don’t go into the three St. Louis or the Lafayette cemeteries unless you’re taking a guided tour.

You should be okay during daylight hours otherwise. Just keep aware of your surroundings.
Thanks!

I'm also considering taking Amtrak, which will arrive NOLA after 9 pm. Is safety near train station a big issue?
Otherwise, I'll drive there. I guess hotels in French Quarter will charge a hefty parking fee, though.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Thanks!

I'm also considering taking Amtrak, which will arrive NOLA after 9 pm. Is safety near train station a big issue?
Otherwise, I'll drive there. I guess hotels in French Quarter will charge a hefty parking fee, though.
I'd take a cab from there, more because of distance from there to the French Quarter than from any sort of safety consideration, though it might be prudent to do so for the latter reason as well. I found NOLA easy and safe to get around using public transportation, nearly all the attractions and restaurants worth going to are close by a streetcar or bus. I didn't drive in NOLA, so I can't help you with the questions about parking fees.

If you go, enjoy! I sure did.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Rest: just several days or so. Chicago is a one day destination or two. That's it.
Curious what cities you DO consider a week long trip. Chicago is most certainly not something you can fully explore in 2 days. If you're an animal lover, art, science, history, or space buff any one of the museums can easily take 4-5 hours to go through. The art museum, field museum, and museum of science of industry cannot be fully explored without a dedicated 8 hour visit or so.

Then you have Sears Tower or John Hancock, Navy Pier, architecture tours (both walking and by boat). Lincoln Park Zoo, the lakeshore beaches, river boat cruises and dinner cruises. Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox games. Gangster tours, haunted history tours, walking tours. You name it.

The nightclubs or bars are endless, we have a very robust Jazz scene, concerts and fest's all summer throughout different parts of the city. Restaurants galore to fit every taste and budget. Our shopping is top notch only behind New York and LA.

Not really sure what you expect but not even a sliver of a percent can be done in 2 days. If what Chicago does have to offer isn't for you, then admit that but don't say there isn't enough stuff to fill your time for 7 days while you're here.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Curious what cities you DO consider a week long trip. Chicago is most certainly not something you can fully explore in 2 days. If you're an animal lover, art, science, history, or space buff any one of the museums can easily take 4-5 hours to go through. The art museum, field museum, and museum of science of industry cannot be fully explored without a dedicated 8 hour visit or so.

Then you have Sears Tower or John Hancock, Navy Pier, architecture tours (both walking and by boat). Lincoln Park Zoo, the lakeshore beaches, river boat cruises and dinner cruises. Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox games. Gangster tours, haunted history tours, walking tours. You name it.

The nightclubs or bars are endless, we have a very robust Jazz scene, concerts and fest's all summer throughout different parts of the city. Restaurants galore to fit every taste and budget. Our shopping is top notch only behind New York and LA.

Not really sure what you expect but not even a sliver of a percent can be done in 2 days. If what Chicago does have to offer isn't for you, then admit that but don't say there isn't enough stuff to fill your time for 7 days while you're here.
Chicago is one of the few big U.S cities that I haven't visited. I'd like to see Chicago in 3-4 days I guess. There are plenty of museums, but I can't stare at artworks 5 hours a day, 7 days a week. With performance arts like world-famous Chicago Symphony Orchestra, there should be plenty of things to do.

However, it's likely that my excitement will fade after 4 days, even though technically there are endless things to do and see.

By far, NYC is the only U.S city that I wish I could stay a whole month.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Check the schedule for Chicago. (Free concerts (or open rehearsals) / free museums / interesting events
Free museum day is usually Tues ... or you can have a local resident "check out" a free museum pass from Libraries.

other dates:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/9/...admission-days

other ideas...
(I go to cities that are hosting 'Chamber Music or arts or Drama Festivals; for week / month, have done so in USA, Asia, Oceania, and Europe) Very nice venues / often free concerts at lunchtime and open rehearsals in AM.

Enjoy the trip.

New Orleans did not attract me for over 3 full days. I felt safe night and day, but some street people are aggressive, but not violent (yet). Streets are pretty stinky (open urine / no public toilets). I enjoyed an afternoon at the horse race track (in town). Graveyards a fun, but close very early.

If you drive, go VERY slow in school zones (20mph IIRC). They allow an outside LA company to mount traffic cameras in school zones and send you a $75 ticket, then gives a couple bucks to the jurisdiction. There is a CHEAP parking lot bordering the tram route, (the ONLY cheap parking lot). Tourist office / net search will find it. Street parking worked for us, but a daily metro pass and cheap parking would have been less time consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel