Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,000,641 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the DC area for work. Most of my coworkers aren't from around here, but it seems like every night they just go home to their apartments and play games or watch anime, or occasionally out to a local bar to drink. We're one county away from the city of DC, and many people at my office have never been there, or to Arlington, Alexandria, Maryland, etc., and don't display much interest when I talk about things I've seen and done there. Their lives exist within a 2-mile or so radius.

How is it so overwhelmingly normal to just not be curious about your surroundings?

Last edited by TheTimidBlueBars; 05-11-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I agree with you, Years ago, I lived in a suburb of San Francisco, yet I knew people who only went there once every 10 years or so, & did not know any of the neighborhoods or famous locations. Now have moved to a different part of the state & we try to go on a day trip to the surrounding areas, every few weeks, I love exploring new places. But some people live in their own tiny bubble.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Meh, DC is overrated in my view. The vote for best food city is a joke. We go there when there's a reason, catching a jazz show at Blues Alley, or when we play host to out of town visitors. The traffic jam, the pricey parking, the horrible metro service, all major turn offs. The only thing to recommend is the free museums.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Meh, DC is overrated in my view. The vote for best food city is a joke. We go there when there's a reason, catching a jazz show at Blues Alley, or when we play host to out of town visitors. The traffic jam, the pricey parking, the horrible metro service, all major turn offs. The only thing to recommend is the free museums.
I don't think it's specific to any one place. When I was in Chicagoland, most of my friends never had any interest in going anywhere besides their particular suburb and nearby ones and the north and west sides of the city, and thought it was bizarre that I did.

Maybe I'm just weird because I like to check out different neighborhoods and towns for their own sake, and I don't need a specific thing to do there. Still, it seems like most folks don't even make the slightest effort to see if there are any particular destinations they'd enjoy.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I don't think it's specific to any one place. When I was in Chicagoland, most of my friends never had any interest in going anywhere besides their particular suburb and nearby ones and the north and west sides of the city, and thought it was bizarre that I did.

I worked in one of the distant Chicago suburbs and was surprised that MANY of the people - including the NATIVES - had never been to the Loop or hadn't been there in 10+ years. For many of them, the only time they headed into Chicago was for a sporting event or a concert.

In all fairness, I lived in Dearborn, MI and never made it to the Henry Ford Museum.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Unless you are very interested in museum, arts, music or whatever the downtown has to offer.

There's no reason to leave your comfortable suburb.

Don't forget how dangerous parts of Chicago and DC can be!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:03 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
I think it is pretty common. You get jaded and took what you have for granted.

I go to attractions nearby rarely but frequently fly internationally for exotic vacations.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Oregon is a Big state. Lived here over 60 years and I am only somewhat familiar with Oregon's western & coastal 25% of the state. Moving within a year to Washington State. Retired now and if I get over the health and family obligations, I'd do more traveling.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:30 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree with you, Years ago, I lived in a suburb of San Francisco, yet I knew people who only went there once every 10 years or so, & did not know any of the neighborhoods or famous locations. Now have moved to a different part of the state & we try to go on a day trip to the surrounding areas, every few weeks, I love exploring new places. But some people live in their own tiny bubble.
And I wouldn't be surprised if most San Franciscans don't roam around town much either, but instead stay mostly in or near their own 'hoods.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Get to the local stuff later (when fuel prices are high, body ability is low)

Fortunately I have always had a National park / wilderness / or thousands of acres of adventure within 5 min walk of home. So... I do a lot of exploring in my back yard.

I do really like a few familiar places to go and have a good time.
Amsterdam, DC, SF, Singapore and Sydney are favorites. (lots to do nearby)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel