Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,627 times

Advertisements

Hello Upon thinking about how I want to live my life and what I could do to live a more fulfilling one, I'm considering paying off my debt, saving some money and then leaving the U.S. to explore as much of the world as I can. Right now this is just an idea but if I could make it a reality, I would be extremely happy.

I'm wondering what suggestions you could give regarding places in the world that could do any or all of the following:
  • Allow an American to work, even if it's for a low wage.
  • Provide an experience that would change my perception of life as I know it in the states.
  • Give me the opportunity to meet new people and learn about different cultures hands on.
  • Give me the feeling that I am doing something productive and fulfilling with my time.
I've considered visiting the following places, feel free to comment on those as well:
  • Germany - I have ancestry from this country and the architecture and beautiful landscapes are calling me there.
  • Japan - I am mesmerized by Japanese culture and have been dreaming about going there for the past eight years.
  • Somewhere in Africa (perhaps Egypt) or South America - I have not done much research on specific areas that I would be interested in visiting or living, but I would really like to experience a culture that would take me out of my comfort zone and allow me the opportunity to see how drastically different life can be in places other than the U.S.
I have a list of 15 other countries that I am interested in, but those are the main ones that I know for a fact I would be interested in visiting.

Do you have any advice for places that would provide a high level of culture shock, without exposing myself to murder or rape on a daily basis? I really feel that there is something in my life that is missing, some part of me that is not being fulfilled by living the day-to-day drudgery that is school and work. However, when I mention this idea to people I'm usually told that many places in Africa and South America specifically are crime ridden and I would be stupid to go there. I'd like to think that's B.S. but I can't say for sure as I've never been out of this country before. Am I naive or are they being paranoid?

I would just like to reiterate that I have not done much research on this and definitely plan on doing so before I would start making plans to make this idea a reality. This wouldn't happen for at least 2-3 years.

Thank you for any and all input Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
You could probably get a job teaching English in a South American country or an Asian one (including Japan). The company/school that would hire you could sponsor your work permit/permit in those countries.
On the other hand, it is very difficult for an American to get a work permit/visa for any EU country (including Germany unless you are eligible for citizenship via one of your parents/grandparents).

Old 05-03-2010, 02:13 PM

312 posts, read 909,924 times
I would recommend you the Philippeans, the forgotten paradise.
You can live there very cheap, it's probably one of the most affordable countries in the world,
and they have everything you could need. World Class cities and some of the most beautiful beaches
and food.

That's where I'm gonna retire.
Or you could try the Islands in the South Pacific, ex. Fiji, Tonga, Sri Lanka?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You could probably get a job teaching English in a South American country or an Asian one (including Japan). The company/school that would hire you could sponsor your work permit/permit in those countries.
On the other hand, it is very difficult for an American to get a work permit/visa for any EU country (including Germany unless you are eligible for citizenship via one of your parents/grandparents).
That would be excellent, actually. I have already decided that before I go anywhere, I want to learn as much of the native language as I can. Obviously if I spend time traveling between countries this may become more of an issue, but I would like to be able to use language to my advantage.

Thank you for the advice, that's exactly what I was looking for on the work front.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
I would recommend you the Philippeans, the forgotten paradise.
You can live there very cheap, it's probably one of the most affordable countries in the world,
and they have everything you could need. World Class cities and some of the most beautiful beaches
and food.

That's where I'm gonna retire.
Or you could try the Islands in the South Pacific, ex. Fiji, Tonga, Sri Lanka?
Thank you for the suggestions I'm definitely going to look into some of those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World