Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 03:27 PM

3,265 posts, read 5,019,147 times

Advertisements

I would imagine every airline has those who love it and others who hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 03:46 PM

10,381 posts, read 8,028,929 times
Every US airline is awful, each in its own unique way.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:52 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,643,967 times
Well, this is how it should be :

https://www.iflya380.com/fly-smart/f...tml?origin=GSO

Old 06-05-2018, 04:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,047,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
What do you think is the best and worst airline you've flown with in the U.S. ?

I think Delta is pretty good, and not too impressed with American.
In terms of meanness, all airlines are equally good. For eg, almost everyone charges for bag, seats and food. Looks like service is just getting the passenger safely to the other point.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,282,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
well... those are pretty tough to accommodate at most USA airports... but my flights on A-380's have been very nice, in spite of Economy class instead of Suite Class.

I hope SWA would use A-380's with 'first on' boarding style!!!

but... they (A-380s) are REALLY inefficient at the gate (SWA forte... flip turns (shortest time at gate of any carrier, get that plane in the AIR earning revenue...!) FAST!!!

I LUV boarding procedures at SWA!!! Fine for short flights!
  1. get on,
  2. find a seat,
  3. sit down and
  4. GO!!!

I have recently been using this similar procedure for boarding international flights! (boarding LAST)

Old 06-05-2018, 06:19 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,643,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
well... those are pretty tough to accommodate at most USA airports... but my flights on A-380's have been very nice, in spite of Economy class instead of Suite Class.

I hope SWA would use A-380's with 'first on' boarding style!!!

but... they (A-380s) are REALLY inefficient at the gate (SWA forte... flip turns (shortest time at gate of any carrier, get that plane in the AIR earning revenue...!) FAST!!!

I LUV boarding procedures at SWA!!! Fine for short flights!
  1. get on,
  2. find a seat,
  3. sit down and
  4. GO!!!

I have recently been using this similar procedure for boarding international flights! (boarding LAST)
Excuse my ignorance on this as I've never flown SWA, but is there ever any issue or dispute on who ends up having to get the middle seats?

Old 06-05-2018, 06:50 PM

5,207 posts, read 3,136,446 times
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance on this as I've never flown SWA, but is there ever any issue or dispute on who ends up having to get the middle seats?
The big problem with SWA are people who claim some reason for boarding early (infirmity, children, etc.), then try to "reserve" seats for their friends and family who board later. This is just wrong in most cases and it causes a lot of angst as people find preferred seats are already taken even though they are in the first group of "regular" passengers to board.

The flight attendants stay out of any disagreements so it's kind of law of the jungle where the weak and timid get the shaft.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
on SWA No seat is reserved, +/-; you check-in 24 hrs in advance for a 'line-up' sequence, OR you pay $15 for 'early boarding' (A Group / first 60) , or you pay MORE for priority position fare (A 1-15 + other perks), or you meet 'A-List' status (# of legs flown / yr).

Depends I have never seen a dispute, as it is 'first on gets their choice', as they fill up... the 'first on' can get SQUASHED (by a monster middle seat person who has not other choice). That is the risk... EVERY seat is an AVAILABLE seat, i.e. you cannot buy a vacant seat. Depends on your routing, as there may be some vacant seats, as SWA no longer 'over-books' (Too bad, as I previously could get $2000 - $3000 / yr in 'bumps', and 10+ FREE nights / yr in hotels when bumped. )

Tho priority listing on Legacy carriers... I find SWA a DREAM for boarding in USA (only better idea is to board window seaters first from rear of plane, then middle then Aisle) The SWA model would NOT work so hot in Europe or Asia (A LOT more segregated / demanding culture). USA is pretty 'compliant' in comparison. (you don't see public social revolutions in USA too often)

SWA =
  1. MUCH fewer carry-ons (fee checked bags)
  2. No one looking for a particular seat
  3. No one in the WRONG seat
  4. FAST seating, (pick the first one you like)
Usually staff is very helpful and pleasant, and also interested in
Get on and GO = happier customers, happier investors, happier employees. Get to destination quicker and with less PAIN.

SWA is NOT always the cheapest, but I have NO other airlines that gives me FREE changes (of which I have had 12 in the last 7 days.) No PAIN, except for current Blade inspections / flight cancellations. But SWA has honored tickets / routing / timing as well as possible. And has sent a few extra Flight coupons for the trouble.

Worse case on SWA seems to be when a family gets delayed in boarding and they ask for volunteers to take a middle seat to allow family to be together (happens about 1x per 20 flights). USA flights are so short... it is not a huge burden and people gladly help out (often receiving perks ./ drinks / coupons / or nothing...(that's OK too)) We all just want to Get on and GO!!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:25 PM

My big complaint about SWA is a liberal 'companion pet(?)' policy (Trying to accommodate people to a fault).

I dislike getting fleas, from some selfish person who is putting at risk and inconvenience 180 other passengers so they can drag along a 'companion' (emotional support) animal(?).

I care way too much for my pets to put them at risk of dying in a plane crash.
and my pets are far happier 'holding down the fort' (protecting the home). It gives them a 'purpose' in life

Old 06-06-2018, 02:14 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,050,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
What do you think is the best and worst airline you've flown with in the U.S. ?

I think Delta is pretty good, and not too impressed with American.
Delta = Doesn’t ever leave the airport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel