Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,355,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

Bad- Southwest (I absolutely hate their open-seating and their A/B/C lines which no one respects).

Since they line you up by number, it is difficult for me to see how people game the system. I do NOT see that on any of the flights on Southwest that I have been on.

That MIGHT have been the case 10 years ago ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 03:30 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
I used to fly Southwest pretty much weekly. Throw some money at it and you always get an aisle seat. A-List Plus gave you the early boarding number for free and threw in free WiFi. Unfortunately, they haven't been doing a very good job maintaining their planes. The failures are pretty well documented. I can't remember the last time I flew on one that had a new interior. The ones I fly on are dirty and worn. As a business traveler, it's nice to know you can grab a flight on short notice and not have a middle row death seat back by the blue toilet water. It's also nice to know you can change flights without the annoying change fee that the bean counters always question on my expense report.

I've flown 30,000 miles on United this year. As long as you're in Economy Plus and not in those 30" seat pitch seats designed for dwarves and elves, it's fine. I have first tier elite FT status so I at least get early boarding so I have a spot for my roll-aboard and usually can move to an Economy Plus seat when I check in. You really have to fly 50,000 miles with them so you get Economy Plus when you book the ticket to get the good experience. Without any FT status, you have to get the United Explorer credit card for the early boarding and pay for the Economy Plus seat to have a reasonable experience. The equipment I fly on is mostly new with clean cabins.

I like JetBlue the best but they're not in my current travel pattern. The Airbus has a wider seat. They haven't resorted to 30" seat pitch.

I don't fly American or Delta much at the moment. One US Airways Boston/Philly round trip last summer. I used to be Chairman's Preferred on US Airways so I've seen it all with total service breakdowns in Philly. It doesn't seem to have changed putting American logo on the jet. I used to fly American on a lot of international flights. Boston/Miami/Santiago Chile quite a few times. Quite a few Europe flights. It's fine. It's been a very long time since I've flown Delta anywhere but Atlanta. Not a great airport and that probably soils my opinion about the airline.

I fly Air Canada a lot. It's far better than any US carrier. The US seems to be a race to the bottom for service and quality of the experience.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,425,219 times
I usually fly out of Houston's main airport, where United has 80% of the flights (last I heard). The flights have generally been OK and it helps that I almost always fly business class (I don't have kids, so who am I going to leave money to?). So, I fly in a comfortable seat, but I gotta say, the "food" included in the ticket price is rather pathetic. I just flew from San Francisco to Houston in biz class and the only food offering was a dry hamburger. That's a far cry from the food on the old Continental. But ... at least I didn't have to rest my old carcass on one of those Economy seats. Has our country gone so far downhill that Economy seats can't be comfortable? I don't really care about food service, but I don't want to arrive at my destination with a sore back.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:25 PM

200 posts, read 175,626 times
I love American simply because they're the only airline on planet earth that doesn't make me change planes in Atlanta!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,786 posts, read 58,271,470 times
I fly SWA several times / week, and have never had someone 'trick-the-system' into early boarding, and frequently those who are 'confused' / mistakenly out of sequence - get sent back to their rightful positions. But... I do see plenty trying to get ETB (extra time boarding) pre-board status, tho few are successful. (You can ALWAYS pay for early boarding when you buy your ticket)

I have never had a less than clean / modern plane on SWA and frequently get brand new 800's on the routing I travel (I do not prefer 800's as the overhead bin lids drop DOWN (in your face / hit your head). The high quantity short routes (<1hr) and quick turns (10 minutes) cause a few planes to get a little more dirty during the day (peanuts on the floor). I have NEVER found a SWA flight crew to be less than totally responsive to any needs of service. (i.e. I could ask them to clean my space and they would do it, or relocate me).

SWA did 7 changes at the gate for me in ONE day last week, so I was pretty pleased. I made all my connections, in spite of aircraft being pulled out of service.

UA and Alaska has often done the same. I have been granted 'honored' ticket on competing carriers when TSA messed things up.

Flying is quite successful, in spite of complexities.

Spirit has been the ONLY carrier I have been rudely responded from. And that filters from their CEO who has that same attitude.

Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza responding internally via email about a complaint from an unhappy Spirit customer who wanted a refund. Baldanza’s thoughts on his customer:

"We owe him nothing as far as I'm concerned. Let him tell the world how bad we are. He's never flown us before anyway and will be back when we save him a penny."
http://www.spiritairlinesfacts.com/
https://newrepublic.com/article/1215...irline-america
http://review.chicagobooth.edu/magaz...is-so-terrible
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...nes-World.html

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-06-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 PM

23,630 posts, read 24,182,090 times
United is by far, the worst. Multiple boarding classes and high change fees. Southwest is simple and their customer service is pretty good.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:37 PM

23,630 posts, read 24,182,090 times
If you happen to get a “C” boarding pass, it usually means “center”, unless you get lucky. (Southwest fliers will understand the humor here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Excuse my ignorance on this as I've never flown SWA, but is there ever any issue or dispute on who ends up having to get the middle seats?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 PM

15,585 posts, read 7,614,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I can't stand American and avoid at all cost!

I will probably get crap for saying this........but I actually like Southwest!
So do I. Efficient, and reasonably priced.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,534,094 times
All USA airlines are fine and safe. That is my first concern.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:07 AM

4,707 posts, read 3,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I complain about SWA some, but I keep flying it... the positives outweigh the negatives. I'd like to have assigned seats, but the absence of change fees is more important.
And in fact, I flew on SWA this afternoon (BUR to SFO). There were about 50 empty seats on the aircraft, so a hint to those who have travel flexibility: fly mid-day mid-week if you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel