Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
That was an anamoly, although it weirdly happened twice closely timed together. Even so, SW Airlines is actually the best but I didn't rate them as such because of the open seating, first-come first-serve approach which creates a cattle run during boarding. It works well if you luck up and get a seat in an area that you wanted but doesn't when you don't.

$15 (up from $12.50) buys you "Early Bird" (if that is important to you) $30 buys you A;1-15 (I am usually A 16 - 18 (for free... frequent flier), but due to many changes, I have NO problem boarding AFTER A: 1-60 (very orderly on 4,000+ flights / day)
CHEAP in comparison to
(2) 50# bags on a legacy carrier ($60+)
+ $20 - $40 for a Seat selection
($300 to $400 EXTRA for family of 4) (Free on SWA)
SWA Never felt like a cattle run, as "Line up in numerical order" beats anything I experience in Europe or Asia. (Budget carriers) and I timed my last Legacy Boarding (Delta and UA) EACH were over 2x as long process as SWA (There were 5 boarding groups on my UA flight last week!!!) People 'hunting' for specific seats and jamming far too much JUNK in their carry-ons, due to PAID luggage

I find my 'Risk' of getting a BAD seat partner FAR worse on legacy carriers / assigned seats (tho I ALWAYS check for vacant rows a few hours before boarding.).

SWA, you find a HUGE person in a row by themselves and take the empty seat (Aisle or window). and HOPE (trust / accurately predict based on passenger load (which I always check)) that the middle seat will stay vacant.

If hunting for a middle (C / late boarding)... you find the FIRST middle between (2) skinny minnie's

USA flights are SO SHORT, a middle seat is NOT death. I get stuck in Middles on many 10+ hour International flights (due to last minute changes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
It's subjective but in my personal experience:

Best: American or Jet Blue

Worst: United or Southwest.

United had a late arrival that caused me to miss the connecting flight which was the last one scheduled that night. They were rude and did not offer any compensation for hotel/meals, etc. Worse, the airport I was at stopped cab service/shuttle service at 10PM so yup, I got to spend the night in the terminal.

Southwest because of their cattle-call boarding process and poor maintenance on their planes.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,583,449 times
Default What a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Spirit has been the ONLY carrier I have been rudely responded from. And that filters from their CEO who has that same attitude.

Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza responding internally via email about a complaint from an unhappy Spirit customer who wanted a refund. Baldanza’s thoughts on his customer:

"We owe him nothing as far as I'm concerned. Let him tell the world how bad we are. He's never flown us before anyway and will be back when we save him a penny."
Terrible attitude! Not surprised that these words are from the mouth of the CEO of Spirit Airlines. Flew Spirit once for a round-trip half way across the country, NEVER AGAIN. They nickel and dime you to death. They are the fastfood of airlines. In my experience, their employees appear to have been formerly working for fastfood restaurants that went out of business due to poor customer service. No pride in doing their job nor attempt to conduct themselves professionally. I've seen some of their ticket agents while on the clock huddled around the ticket counter laughing and talking about their personal life and gossipping about their coworkers: totally oblivious to the fact they're at work and customers are all around them. I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit's CEO was hired due to some type of work-release program or got the job through mob ties or some such.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,491,240 times
Quote:
Terrible attitude! Not surprised that these words are from the mouth of the CEO of Spirit Airlines. Flew Spirit once for a round-trip half way across the country, NEVER AGAIN. They nickel and dime you to death. They are the fastfood of airlines. In my experience, their employees appear to have been formerly working for fastfood restaurants that went out of business due to poor customer service. No pride in doing their job nor attempt to conduct themselves professionally. I've seen some of their ticket agents while on the clock huddled around the ticket counter laughing and talking about their personal life and gossipping about their coworkers: totally oblivious to the fact they're at work and customers are all around them. I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit's CEO was hired due to some type of work-release program or got the job through mob ties or some such.
Well what do you expect for the price they charge? You pay rock-bottom prices, it would be ignorant not to expect bottom-barrel service. You don't go into McDonalds expecting grade A service and high quality food. You go simply because of the price and put up with the crap they put you through because it doesn't hurt your wallet as much.

To me, saving money to fly ULCCs just isn't worth it so I fork over the extra money to fly a legacy or foreign carrier.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:51 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,660 times
I prefer American and have not encountered any problems. Living in Charlotte, though, I am partial and did fly USAir before the merger. Their hub is here and offers a lot of direct flights. I would rather pay more to get somewhere in a few hours than takes me a day with layovers. You cannot get time back.

Also Delta is good for international flights. Cannot beat the complimentary wine. lol.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I prefer American and have not encountered any problems. Living in Charlotte, though, I am partial and did fly USAir before the merger. Their hub is here and offers a lot of direct flights. I would rather pay more to get somewhere in a few hours than takes me a day with layovers. You cannot get time back.

Also Delta is good for international flights. Cannot beat the complimentary wine. lol.
What free wine...?...

Old 06-08-2018, 02:26 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Frontier is even worse than Spirit.

You will pay for every little thing, by the time you finish paying for the extras it comes to the same price as the major,non budget airline prices.

There is also no snacks given.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:41 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Quote:
That was an anamoly, although it weirdly happened twice closely timed together.

When you get right down to it, everything discussed in this thread is an anomaly. As such, random people on the Internet aren't going to ever be a reliable source of the answer to this question. You like Southwest enough to run to their defense; there are others who revile them. Even trends among respondents are irrelevant because the things that differentiate airlines from each other include things that make their fans more or less technologically-inclined, and things that make their fans more or less driven to push their opinion as fact.

I'm not saying that this forum is useless, just useless with regard to this question, because this specific question hits all the high points of what makes random people on the Internet a horrible source of information.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Home airport really does matter for many including myself

Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
All are good as they brought myself and family home safe every single time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel