Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:10 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Don't tell me (regarding real estate, etc.), tell the person I responded to who said they tip ALL service workers. I know that, maybe he or she doesn't, why don't they tip the cashier at Walmart?

I agree with your list however once again notice the particularly difference between many of these rolls and the typical hotel housekeeper - restaurant wait staff, bartenders, bell hops, parking valets, hotel doorman, golf caddy, etc - their wages are structured by tax and labor law to include tips in many cases, they get paid LESS than minimum wage and are expected to meet and (in many cases) exceed it by work performance. Taxi drivers also to a certain degree, work separate from minimum wage rules as they have a wage but must deduct for car maintenance, etc. This is not so for hotel maids, who usually have a standard hourly wage of minimum or over. Many at the big hotel chains are also covered by unions. All these prior roles also have DIRECT contact with a customer, a hotel housekeeper is indirect.

I also note that this article, for some of the reasons for tipping or not, there is no reason or explanation given. Sales clerk it simply says "should not". Well why not? Flight attendants "not customary". Well why not? Not to argue that they SHOULD, but what distinguishes them from Hotel Maids? For the record, if I create a huge mess or ask for extra hotel service from a maid (or sales clerk for that matter, or flight attendant), I will tip...or if not appropriate I will inform managers of job well done.
Dd, I think tipping standards in the US are VERY confusing. Don't get me wrong. For example, when I was a kid my mother always tipped the kid who brought our groceries to the car. I don't require that service at home but when we go to a grocery near our lake house in a very rural area they insist on bringing our groceries to the car and they are not allowed to take a tip. Confusing, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 03:05 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
I don't want those with expense accounts or over 200k incomes advising me on tipping hotel houskeeping. Maybe I am the poor person that needs that $5 per day. The rooms cost enough.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:27 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've said before on one of the many topics about this.. My tip is.. They don't have to do anything while i'm there.

The DND sign goes on the door as soon as I open it, and stays throughout my stay. If I were to need extra towels, TP or whatever.. I'm usually walking down the hall when a cart is out there, i'll give a wave and say what room and that I need whatever, and pick it up off the cart.

Quite frankly, I don't want them in my room while I'm not in there and I don't expect a maid service cleaning up behind me daily. So, if I'm at a hotel for 5 nights.. They come in on the 6th day after i've checked out to get it ready for the next person and that's it.

One thing I will mention... For several years I was traveling for work and would have to do things at night. So, I was working 11pm to 8am or so. I always told the front desk that i'd be sleeping during the day, and that the DND sign would be out.. Please respect it.
This is exactly what I do. I don't want them near my stuff and don't need them cleaning unless I'm there for a long time (over a week) and need the room freshened.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:36 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I don't want those with expense accounts or over 200k incomes advising me on tipping hotel houskeeping. Maybe I am the poor person that needs that $5 per day. The rooms cost enough.
I for one am an advocate for tipping the maid — and I am nothing resembling wealthy, though I do enjoy travel and set aside a little money to do so if I can. Never had an expense account either, and never will.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Dd, I think tipping standards in the US are VERY confusing. Don't get me wrong. For example, when I was a kid my mother always tipped the kid who brought our groceries to the car. I don't require that service at home but when we go to a grocery near our lake house in a very rural area they insist on bringing our groceries to the car and they are not allowed to take a tip. Confusing, right?
Interesting. I have never ever heard of anyone "bringing groceries to the car" for you. What part of the country is this?

Old 08-12-2018, 09:00 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I live in a resort community full time and we have an international student population that arrive each summer and a large number of these students are the maids. I can tell you that they live for the tips they make. Yu can't get out students to work this type of job. I waitressed my way through college and the tips afforded me the luxuries that I otherwise would have had to forego.

It would not kill almost anyone to leave a tip. I am very neat as is hubby. When we go to a hotel we strip the bed of the spread or what ever they have on it and put it off to the side for our stay. So essentially making the bed is easy, additionally, I always leave the room very neat if I am leaving so they can vacuum without having to move shoes and things. When we leave the bathroom for the day, the towels that we used are folded together over the tub or the vanity so it is a quick pick up. There are so many slobs out there that I want my room to be as effortless as possible.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 AM

779 posts, read 471,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. I have never ever heard of anyone "bringing groceries to the car" for you. What part of the country is this?
Really? So interesting. Living in small town MN, this was common. I think most smaller midwest grocery stores do it (Most used to do it 30-40 years ago regardless of where you were).

It was my first job (or one of the duties of my first job).

Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

In West Texas, we have United Superstores. I remember every cashier till used to have a guy who will bag all the groceries and bring em up to your Car. I had a difficult time explaining to them that I come walking to that store. I dont recall anyone tipping them though.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:33 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Really? So interesting. Living in small town MN, this was common. I think most smaller midwest grocery stores do it (Most used to do it 30-40 years ago regardless of where you were).

It was my first job (or one of the duties of my first job).
It's commonly been offered almost everywhere I've lived around the US. The bagger just says, "Would you like help out with that?" and unless there is some pressing reason (like my arm is in a cast) I say no thanks. And as mentioned earlier, those employees always refuse a tip (I think they're not allowed to accept them).
Recently I've occassionally ordered groceries online, then go to the pick-up area outside the store. The person who loads the bags into my trunk says they're not allowed to accept tips. And I say that's a great policy! If they're being paid to load my groceries into my car, what is so "above and beyond" about, uhhhh, simply loading my groceries into my car?

Old 08-12-2018, 01:17 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Cleaning up for people daily is a job not for mentally weak. Its get old super fast, leave them a couple of bucks at least!

I leave the room as clean as possible because its a thankless job and I have sympathy for those that have no choice but to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel