Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 07:46 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,917,438 times

Advertisements

Ever since I moved to Dallas, I've been delighted to have Southwest as an option. I fly a lot for work and don't get to use Southwest much for that, but I prefer it for my personal travel if at all possible. So much easier to board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 08:48 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,699,164 times
Boarding should be first come, first on IMO. Not lining up the passengers like a chow line. I could care less if first class were seated first, that's fine since them suckers paid much more money for a handful of "perks". But everyone else just get on and board at will.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:00 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,715,129 times
If they board by rows, wouldn't family be able to enter together even if they are spread out across the row (from one window seat to another). I have semi big family and when we travel together, if we don't have seats next to eachother (which airport assistant are always willing to switch our seat to be next to eachother) but if we don't have seats together, we are with in 1-2 row of eachother. Not a major issue, people don't need to line up by exact number. Board it by every 5 rows, some international flights do that. And if a family happens to be at that cut off row then break the rule and jump in. Few extra people won't make huge difference but it will help overall speed.

now people who enter first taking up all the overhead space will be an issue that needs to be kept in check

Old 12-17-2018, 09:04 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
4 pages and no one has noted this new Delta system is not even in effect yet.
It does seem to be more in line of the Airlines trying to monetize everything (e.i. frequent flyer points based on how much you spent on your flight).
-In terms of confusion - infrequent flyers are confused regardless, nothing improves that. "Gate Lice", those clueless souls that crowd around the loading areas 1/2 hour before they will even be called to board, will continue to be a problem.
-In terms of boarding - you have a flight leaving from Atlanta on Delta where literally half the travelers have frequent flyer status, and any boarding system you can throw out the window as they are all going to be boarding before the normal zones. No difference here.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,785,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
They should have two doors, one near the front and one near the back. That would cut the boarding time in half, problem solved.
Some flights in Kona, Hawaii are loaded this way. Gotta walk up air stairs to do it though-what a hassle!

The deal is, it doesn't matter how efficiently the aircraft is loaded because they always commence boarding with ample time.

Boarding the slow old folks and families first hasn't changed, has it?

Then comes the upper crust of society. You wait for them at the hotel and rent a car office with their "priority" check in, you wait for them at security with their bought "Pre check", then finally you wait for them to board.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,344,881 times
Fastest boarding was when they used to do it by row, back to front (for planes with only one entrance). I have no idea why they stopped doing this and went to the current randomly-assigned groups system, except that probably the genius MBAs at Corporate figured out they could charge a little more somehow and make an extra $7.00 profit per flight.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,734,981 times
Would be interesting to try an experimental system where the airplane staff stows everyone's carry on for them in an efficient systematic way. Then everyone would board the plane straight to their seats (not that half of these morons wouldn't still figure out a way to clog the aisles, maybe lock the overhead until everyone is seated then they can get up to look inside if they must)

Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,867,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Would be interesting to try an experimental system where the airplane staff stows everyone's carry on for them in an efficient systematic way. Then everyone would board the plane straight to their seats (not that half of these morons wouldn't still figure out a way to clog the aisles, maybe lock the overhead until everyone is seated then they can get up to look inside if they must)
Delta has actually done some pilot programs with 'valet carry on' in recent years, but apparently results were not what they wanted since it never went system-wide.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:15 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,395,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The reason airlines don’t do boarding the actual efficient ways is plain and simple. They make flying suck so much that they want/need to reward higher paying passengers by letting them get on early. They will never do anything but that unless it hurts their bottom line.
Would you agree that most businesses feel the same way? Isn't it about the bottom line?

It is not really that bad. I spend my working day watching planes board--people seem pretty happy to me!

Old 12-17-2018, 12:36 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,533,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
What's the point of a carry on if I can't have it with me, and it's still at risk of getting lost because it's not in my possession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel