Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:12 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
So many ties for third place, that I just can't pick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,812 times
The coast of Croatia, especially Dubrovnik

The Rhine river in Germany, between Koblenz and Mainz

London

Old 03-18-2019, 06:10 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I love Haarlem, its in my short list of my favorite places. I would live there if I could.
Add me to that list, i would also love to live there. Always dreamed about owning one of the houseboats out by the baseball fields. I usually stayed in one of the apartments above The Sativa just outside the train station. Haven't been there in a few years now.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,796,079 times
So far:
International:
Thailand-Love the food, it is inexpensive, and can experience a variety of environments (beach, city, jungle)
Brussels- Great food, shopping, great walkable city
Florence-Great food, love the architecture, another walkable city

Domestic:
Las Vegas- great food, favorite place to gamble, fun activities
New Orleans-great food, like the French Quarter, fun place to walk around
Chicago-great food, cool sights, great museum

Miami and Grand Cayman are frequent returns but that is mostly to visit family so I don't really count them

Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 AM

12,778 posts, read 14,992,488 times
OP back! Interesting guys!

Quote:
I love Haarlem, its in my short list of my favorite places. I would live there if I could.
I would never think to go to that specific location. Now is this city good mainly for those who are familiar w/ the city OR also for those who have no idea how it is there (such as me)? I don't know the culture, crime rate, or anything, so would I still like it? I'm a pretty cautious person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
New York City and Washington, DC. One never runs out of things to see and do.

The west side of Los Angeles. I never tire of the area or the beaches.
I live an hour from L.A. The simplest place I go to is there quite often for a day trip about 1 or 2 times a month even though I was born & lived there up to age 13. I mostly go to the shopping malls. But as you can tell, I never had my driver's license back when I lived there, so I could never just drive around on my own & explore.

Been to NYC & Washington DC each 1x too & would return to both.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP back! Interesting guys!

I would never think to go to that specific location. Now is this city good mainly for those who are familiar w/ the city OR also for those who have no idea how it is there (such as me)? I don't know the culture, crime rate, or anything, so would I still like it? I'm a pretty cautious person.

I live an hour from L.A. The simplest place I go to is there quite often for a day trip about 1 or 2 times a month even though I was born & lived there up to age 13. I mostly go to the shopping malls. But as you can tell, I never had my driver's license back when I lived there, so I could never just drive around on my own & explore.

Been to NYC & Washington DC each 1x too & would return to both.
Haarlem is a short train ride outside of Amsterdam. Like 15 minutes. Its a mini version of Amsterdam without the overwhelming touristy nonsense. Its super safe and very charming. One of the best pizza's I've ever had was in Haarlem. In fact, I've been to that place like 4 times now! They also have the Jopen brewery, which is a brewery built in an old cathedral. You can get off the train and walk 5 minutes and be in the town square.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Beaufort, NC (I want to retire there)

OBX, NC (anywhere out there)

Disney World. (Yes I really do love it even as an adult)
I love Beaufort! Have you ever taken the ferry out to Cape Lookout? That is a great time!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Quote:
Haarlem is a short train ride outside of Amsterdam. Like 15 minutes. Its a mini version of Amsterdam without the overwhelming touristy nonsense. Its super safe and very charming. One of the best pizza's I've ever had was in Haarlem. In fact, I've been to that place like 4 times now! They also have the Jopen brewery, which is a brewery built in an old cathedral. You can get off the train and walk 5 minutes and be in the town square.
To add some more because I have spent a couple months there total easily. There are some nice small museums, very laid back slow pace, and several beautiful parks.

My favorite food(Chinese) place closed a long time ago. Can't remember the name but when you left the south side of the station it was across the street to the west.

For tourist stuff they have a ton of small windmills. It is a very long walk but you can see the town and easily 10 small windmills. To the south of the train station is the square and more touristy stuff. To the north is more of a modern locals shopping district. There are 2 nice parks within a stones throw of the train station. The one just to the south west used to have 2 big Hyacinth Macaws that hung out there.

EDIT: To add that people in the Netherlands overall are not real talkative like us Americans are. Most will look at you kinda strange when you see them at the park or wherever and try to start a conversation with them.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:23 PM

830 posts, read 487,060 times
-The Northern Hemisphere
-The Southern Hemisphere

Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM

830 posts, read 487,060 times
But seriously:

- The Netherlands
- New York City
- Italy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel