Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You know with so much diversity in ethnic food in the US (and other places) it's difficult to answer. The worlds gone global, you don't need to travel to Italy to get good Italian food. Travel and (or for) great meals is no longer a common component. To be honest, the best meals I've had are from a few places in my own town.

That being said - you can't have a bad meal in Italy, you just can't. It's all good. I love Indian food as well and have had good food in India but really a better Indian resteraunt in the US fills my needs as well. I love Chinese food, which is actually very diverse in China based on region and type, it's tough to classify. We all know the Chinese food in America is not like the Chinese food in China. My only problem with Chinese food in China is bones! I just can't take up the Chinese habit of eating it and then spitting out the bones on a plate.
Some places are food boring however - England, Netherlands. Again you can always find good Indian food in England and in the Netherlands you can find a good Indonesian reteraunt or two.
We have had quite a few bad meals in Italy along with many good ones. But the Italian food we have eaten in the US is nothing like the food we have eaten in Italy (where we have travelled a lot, my husband having been born there) In most western countries ethnic food is developed to suit the local palates but we have found that particularly in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
We have had quite a few bad meals in Italy along with many good ones. But the Italian food we have eaten in the US is nothing like the food we have eaten in Italy (where we have travelled a lot, my husband having been born there) In most western countries ethnic food is developed to suit the local palates but we have found that particularly in the US.
Well okay, some ethnic food groups like chinese (which I mentioned) and mexican are vastly different in the US. Italian as well - the Pizza is practically an American things now, we own it.

But if you look carefully in any big city you can still find real italian, real chinese (not MSG loaded fried rice), and real mexican food (not tex-mex). You are just going to the wrong places, it just takes some work and research.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:59 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
I've had amazing food almost everywhere. Top to bottom, if I had to pick one place to go for just food, it would be Singapore. Hands down. No contest.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:04 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You mean wild? They don’t exist anymore. I only had one piece in Vancouver. Everywhere is it’s farmed salmon.
Of course they do. It's better known as Chinook, and it's widely available. It's actually not the best tasting, JMHO. I'd rather have a nice coho than a big Chinook.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/chinook-salmon

Old 03-25-2019, 06:13 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I know it’s a tough one but what are some of the most delicious food items you have eaten anywhere in the world?
Guess I just age myself and it is not very original, but here it goes:
foie gras in Gascony,
Beluga caviar in Moscow, enormously sized gorgeous buttery pacific scallops in Vladivostok,
shabu-shabu in no longer there restaurant in New York City - LOVE all Japanese cuisine and its artistry;
the best steak tartar- medium spice at “21” NYC- nobody serves it anymore- out dated dish!
Dover sole- anywhere they can obtain the fish and properly prepare and de-bone it at the table
Everything in French Quater, New Orleans- from seafood to gumbo, to pastries
tasting menu at “ French Laundry” in Yontville, Napa Valley,
Kebabs just off the fire in Turkey and Montreal, CA- who knew?
Herring ! sandwich on a street corner in Amsterdam and the most awesome raw cheese with beer from Trappist monks obtainedfrom Belgium
A hole in the wall BBQ joints- don’t remember the names in Carolinas and Georgia...
Swordfish off the boat - Newport RI and traditional lobster bake- in the sand- there as well.
Shrimp right off the boat at the Fernandina Beach - near Amelia Island- shack on the dock- no longer there...
Breakfast- at Meridien hotel NYC- eggs benedict and the rest of the menu..
Thank you for starting this thread- great memories!

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-25-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Of course they do. It's better known as Chinook, and it's widely available. It's actually not the best tasting, JMHO. I'd rather have a nice coho than a big Chinook.

Wild King Salmon, not coho. That’s what they told me in Canada. The whole reason I went up there is for King Salmon.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:

or... actually (7) species of Pacific 'salmon-type' Anadromous fish... ( migrate from freshwater where they hatch to the ocean where they spend most of their lives and grow large before returning to freshwater to spawn.)

Alaska State Ferry | Alaska Marine Highway System

I prefer Steelhead, (ocean going trout) for which there is not a 'commercial' market.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Completely agree. I have had a number of bad meals in Italy. Most places are mediocre, but when you find the good ones, they are outstanding.

Most North American “Italian” food is terrible by most Italian standards. I have not been to an Italian restaurant in North America In 10years after learning about real Italian food.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
There was a seafood curry dish at this Pakistani restaurant in Sydney that was simply to die for (this places biriyani was pretty darn good, too). Seriously, I'd eat at this place multiple times a week when I lived in Sydney

On the whole, though, my favorite restaurant ever is right here in these United States of America. Little DC restaurant that serves Nigerian/Ghanaian food

Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
I've had amazing food almost everywhere. Top to bottom, if I had to pick one place to go for just food, it would be Singapore. Hands down. No contest.
Totally agree. We even had an amazing buffet breakfast at a Holiday Inn Express there.
But I do remember a most interesting breakfast in Matera, Basilica, Italy with beautiful potato focaccia. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel