Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:52 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,235,363 times

Advertisements

I'll do two for each continent.

Eur -- Ohrid, Macedonia, and Stavanger, Norway
Asia -- Pokhara, Nepal and Isfahan, Iran
Afr -- Mopti, Mali and Ganvie, Benin
SA -- Sucre, Bolivia and Puerto Montt, Chile
NA -- Joe Batt's Arm, Newfoundland, and dozens tied for second, throwing a dart and hitting Marietta, Ohio
Non-contiment -- Willemstad, Curacao, and Darwin, Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 08:45 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,984,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I'll do two for each continent.

Eur -- Ohrid, Macedonia, and Stavanger, Norway
Asia -- Pokhara, Nepal and Isfahan, Iran
Afr -- Mopti, Mali and Ganvie, Benin
SA -- Sucre, Bolivia and Puerto Montt, Chile
NA -- Joe Batt's Arm, Newfoundland, and dozens tied for second, throwing a dart and hitting Marietta, Ohio
Non-contiment -- Willemstad, Curacao, and Darwin, Australia
Did your nose scrape the ceiling while composing that?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 18 hours ago)

35,875 posts, read 18,189,763 times
What an interesting thread!!!

I've been to Europe, but I want to limit my responses to the US, for brevity.

New Orleans
Terlingua, TX
Rocky Neck, Mass.
Mary Esther, Fla.
Cape Ann, Mass.

um, um, um.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,235,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Did your nose scrape the ceiling while composing that?

I don't get it.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,141,937 times
I have found that different folks have different strokes, so I will just say the good and bad of a lot of the cities I have been to.

New York
Good- Big, sprawling historical, energetic, lot's of attractions, more places to go than you can say. Wears its greatness like clothing.

Bad- a lot of it is a dump, and a lot of the attractions (Time Square, Empire State Building) are overrated.

Los Angeles
Good- Proximity to amusement parks. Natural history museum.

Bad- Traffic, smog, overrated tourist attractions (Walk of fame!). Always one turn away from being in a third world country.

Dallas
Good- Great people, good football fans, wonderful Mexican good, barbecue and steaks. I enjoy the spare landscapes surrounding the city.

Bad- Not a lot to do for a big city. Weather gets rough.

San Francisco
Good- Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, incredible views of ocean and the Bay, especially from the hills. Can walk the best parts of the city.

Bad- Shockingly small if you are not from here. They have turned this place into a real dump by allowing aggressive homeless people to run unchecked.

Santa Cruz
Good- Not a major city, but it is one of my favorite places on earth for its part-old timey, part state-of-the-art amusement park on the beach. You can walk there from the incredibly nice downtown, and walk up the way to the light houses. Wonderful atmosphere. If you are not having fun there, you are dead.

Bad- Like all California cities, they have allowed the Bohemian atmosphere to deteriorate by allowing dangerous people to live on the streets.

Rome
Good- If you like ancient history and churches, it is the single best place in the world.

Bad- Grifters, beggars and thieves. Also, you have to know where to eat because there are lots of places shoveling overpriced slop to tourists.

Verona
Good- Layers upon layers of ancient, medieval and Renaissance history. Never saw people having so much fun as at Juliet's balcony.

Bad- Hard to say anything bad, except that there were some of the grifters there, and it is a fairly small city.

Florence
Good- Absolutely incredible food, a great Duomo and a few other great churches, wonderful bridge, 2-3 great museums, and some Roman and Etruscan Ruins in the hills.

Bad- It is a small city that can be done in a couple of days, and once you have done it, you have done it.

Venice
Good- Completely unique. Besides the canals, the churches are the main attraction, and they have a cool out-of-place-in-Italy eastern feel. Great historical place.

Bad- Surprisingly little to do, and once you have done it, you have done it. If you don't like churches, it is literally shopping and riding around canals on the baporetto.

Milan
Good- A modern city of high fashion, nightlife, etc. A great Duomo, the Last Supper, a semi-authentic castle, and "the world's first shopping center." Some world-class soccer teams.

Bad-If you like historical Italy, there is VERY little here, and except for standing on line for hours to see the Supper, you can do it all in an hour. Maybe good fine-dining, but the great, authentic food isn't there. To be honest, I don't like Milan at all.

Pisa
Good- A leaning tower

Bad- Just a leaning tower

Paris
Good- Even if it is not your favorite place (its not mine), you can take in the atmosphere that makes it the place that so many people dream of seeing. It is a big, bustling city, but it has a kind of easy-going style and wonderful decoration to it. Lots of attractions and history.

Bad- I found a lot of the attractions overrated, and my favorite one, Notre Dam, just burned down. Not the biggest fan of French Food (give me Italian) and the grifters and thieves where there too.

Lima
Good- Nice people, a nice city square, nice churches and some good historical sights if you know where you are going. Peruvian food is very unique.

Bad- No insult to my wife's people, but the city is very disorganized, with sporadic trash collection (at least when I was there), wild dogs, and crazy driving.

Cuzco
Good- Great little village feels to a big city. Wonderful city square surrounded by historic churches. Great people and food. Inca sights just up in the hills. Very charming and underrated.

Bad- Man, that thin air gets on top of you. I never knew what a hangover was until I got drinking in Cuzco. Also have to watch the water as it is heavy in Sodium and Potassium.

Puerto Vairta and Mazatlan
Good- Sun, activities, nice folks.

Bad- humidity, and felt bad for a lot of the poor people there as I was being a tourist.

Complete dumps I have nothing good to say about:

Las Vegas
Tijuana
Newark
Reno

Old 05-14-2019, 04:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,884,471 times
In the US, if I could tell a foreigner 10 places

NYC
DC
Chicago
New Orleans
Miami
San Francisco
Charleston, SC
Sedona, AZ
Bainbridge Island, WA
Provincetown, MA or Portland ME or something in that realm on the East Coast

Old 05-14-2019, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 3,302 times
Two cities which have always stood out to me, and my interest is substantiated by the fact that even newspapers have called them the "Dames of the South":

Savannah, GA

Charleston, SC

Old 05-14-2019, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 3,302 times
Oh, and Charleston's also been listed as the top tourist destination in the U.S....on more than one occasion during annual polling.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM

4,277 posts, read 8,199,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTTig View Post
Two cities which have always stood out to me, and my interest is substantiated by the fact that even newspapers have called them the "Dames of the South":

Savannah, GA

Charleston, SC
Both are really great cities

Old 05-14-2019, 05:57 PM

23,689 posts, read 24,252,982 times
Lots of great cities out there, and the places I’d recommend::

Vancouver, BC
New York
Chicago
San Francisco
San Diego
Washington DC
London
Hong Kong
Singapore
Tokyo
Sydney

There are still many places in the world I haven’t visited, and hopefully will one day, this list is to be continued...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel