Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:47 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,225,534 times

Advertisements

Playing along with cities restriction, I hardly see the point in listing cities that are all pretty much alike, Christian, and obscenely opulent, differing only by the period or architecture in the background.

I'd assume my readers to be fairly familiar with one first world metropolis or another, and suggest:

Tehran
Hanoi
Kinshasa
Singapore
Tashkent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 8,337,980 times
Well played cebuan, I'll second Hanoi, fantastic and vibrant place. I'll add a few smashing and memorable places I've been: Dubai, Antananarivo, Dhaka, Addis Ababa, Muscat. Bangkok, although overplayed, is still worth a go.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:08 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,225,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Well played cebuan, I'll second Hanoi, fantastic and vibrant place. I'll add a few smashing and memorable places I've been: Dubai, Antananarivo, Dhaka, Addis Ababa, Muscat. Bangkok, although overplayed, is still worth a go.

Been to all of them except Muscat, and I agree.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:30 AM

27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
I have been to Kolkata and Delhi, India many times.

There are some nice things about those cities. But to a westerner, I would advise to tread with caution. You have to be, ahem, “open-minded” about a lot of things that you simply aren’t used to.

They are definitely different than anything you’ll experience in the west.

I’ve been to Dubai and felt that it was mostly a mimicry of western cities and culture. It is too much at copycat United States. There is hardly anything Arab or Middle Eastern about that city, and I found that disappointing. If you’re looking for a rich, westernized playground in the Arab desert, then Dubai is the perfect place for that. But it’s not my thing.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,319,042 times
Istanbul - head of the Ottoman Empire, the Late Roman Empire, and a melting pot between Europe and Asia
Beijing - Global capital for the 21st century that embraces 3000 years of history
Rome - When in Rome isn't just a saying
London - Blueprint and model for every city in the 20th century.
Dubai - Global Vegas, only built with real money, not faux glitz.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,802,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
So where should a single man go to have fun where people are friendly (besides Bangkok)?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,188,743 times
Based on ones I have been too (and these aren't necessarily my favorite, just ones that people should see)

Barcelona

Berlin

New York City

Old 05-07-2019, 10:09 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,085,972 times
The "must-see" cities of the ones I've actually visited:

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Denver
Houston
New Orleans
Atlanta
Savannah
Charleston
Philly
NYC
Boston
Zurich
Zermatt

I need to get to more cities in European and elsewhere.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,725,931 times
I have had great times in Vienna, Seville, Amsterdam, Copenhagen. In the US, NYC, Chicago and New Orleans.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:51 PM

51,015 posts, read 36,724,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I agree, thats such a broad question. I personally have never been to Canada and really want to see Montreal. Depends on what you're into though. I love the feel of a vibrant city, but also love the mountains. Denver was awesome to me because of that. Seattle is also on my list, though I could never live there.

I really enjoyed Montreal. My gf's and I used to drive there once a summer, back in the days when our dollar was worth almost 1.50 Canadian. We'd go there and shop at The Gap and the same stores we have here, but it was like everything was on sale. They have a lot of festivals in the summer, we were there for a Comedy festival and an African festival. They have (or used to) an international fireworks competition in the summer, and you can take cruises out to get a good view. Everyone spoke English as well as French. My only complaint is we got a $150 parking ticket because the sign was in French and we didn't know we had to move our car at a certain time, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel