Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:04 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Weather can be the deciding factor on your first trip anywhere, and if the weather was lousy, chances are you're not going to take another risk to go back there. Twice to Amsterdam, and both times it was rainy, cloudy, drizzling. Never again!

Generally speaking, I all but refuse to return to places I've traveled to, no matter how much I enjoyed it, as it's a big, big world out there, not enough time to see it all. And I'm apprehensive that if I were to go back there, and it was an unpleasant experience (again, weather factors), overriding my first memories of the place.

I did Europe during my backpacking Hippie days and I want to preserve those memories. I'd be very disappointed in the Europe of 2019.

There are exceptions: Tijuana and Los Angeles.
I wanted to avoid traveling to places I've been to, but there aren't many options left in the winter. The only warm spot in 48 states is Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 02:21 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
No. I've only visited the Vatican once and while Rome itself was wonderful, Vatican City was the low point of that trip (especially Sistine Chapel). I've never fully realized the meaning of 'over-tourism' until I went there.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:32 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Generally yes. Having said that there are relaxing places we like to return to many times for a different type of holiday. But we certainly do experience a been there done that feeling quite often. Living where we do we often have stopovers on the way to Europe to break the journey. So we have been to Singapore Hong Kong and Dubai multiple times and the novelty has certainly worn off.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:55 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Sometimes. My first trip to Graceland was great, second was better, but my third left me feeling meh. I still enjoyed it, but it didn't hold as much excitement as the two prior visits. Same with my visits to San Francisco, Vegas, New Orleans, Maine/NH, Florida and my drives across Route 66.

The scenic beauty of Central and Northern coast of California still gives me the same charge, so does parts of Arizona and New Mexico.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
We haven’t done a lot of repeat travel to places but my wife and I have been to New Orleans many times and we have always enjoyed it.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:53 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Depends. I did Europe first time on a shoestrng, then three times self-drive. Huge difference, Post Hotel to Post Hotel, or Zimmer to Zimmer.

Also Central America, first time self-drive alone, second time by chicken bus with wife.

To speak of, there haven't been many places I've gone to twice under similar travel circumstances. But strong first opinions are seldom replicated. A place you love or hate the first time will regress to the mean.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:42 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I sometimes wish I hadn't traveled so much, earlier in my life, but I was always afraid I'd die young, and now at 69YO, it can become a dilemma, finding new places I haven't been to.

I've been racking my brain, lately, I want to go to some new places, and voila! That's it! I haven't spent much time in eastern AZ or western New Mexico, and have always wanted to visit the Zuni Indian reservation. That should do the trick! And throw in El Paso and Juarez (been there) for some dental work.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:25 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
My husband was battling a respiratory infection our first time in London and we had to really dial expectations back. For our London ‘do over’ we were both healthy and had a lot more fun.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:52 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I'm slowly working through the list of places I've been many times on business where I didn't have time to see/do much and we're now going back as tourists. The business view of a city where it's airport, hotel, office building, and business dinner is very different from the tourist view of a city.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:40 PM

988 posts, read 1,018,194 times
Great responses. I agree that it's hugely circumstantial. Beachmouse's first experience in London sounds like ours. My wife had a terrible cold AND it rained basically all day, every day during our visit. We haven't had the chance to go back, but very much want to, because we expect to really like London under better circumstances.

But sometimes a destination just isn't a great fit for you personally. As part of our honeymoon we visited Rome in good health and under blue skies, and didn't love it. 11 years later we returned and again were underwhelmed - for us personally it just seems a lot better on paper (ancient Rome, Vatican, etc.) than it is in reality (huge tourist masses, panhandling, overpricing, etc.). To each his own.

I also agree that when a vacation goes perfectly the first time around I'm hesitant to visit the destination again. We visited Iceland almost a decade ago during the shoulder season and before Instagram made everyone flock there. We instantly fell in love with the place, and it was so quiet that we felt like we had "discovered" an amazing destination off the beaten path. I think if we ever go back the experience will invariably not be as enjoyable, although I still want to return at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel