Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 09:18 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I have never enjoyed flying, and I have plenty of negative experience with TSA and airline crews.

But laptops being stolen? This is the last thing I'd worry about.
I normally wouldnt worry about the laptop, but its a $3,500 Mac Pro w/ large screen, and I need to it work while I'm on this trip. I own a small business, so there's some things I cannot delegate. I'm not into the cloud backup computing yet. I worry about the safety/security of that. TSA typically steals smaller things like Rolex watches, jewelry, cash clips, ect.. A large MacBook Pro would be hard to walk away with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Do all the other travelers a favor and stay home.

BTW I expect you would experience real annoyances on a cruise.
I'll avoid the other travelers as best I can. Especially the really old unhealthy looking ones who always feel compelled to tell anyone who will listen about their health issues ad nauseum.

I've read a lot of reviews about this cruise line & particular ship, and the complaints are about silly things like:

"the tap water doesn't taste good, so we had to drink bottled water"

"the Cavier is no longer unlimited, and now you have to ask for it"

"people left their clothes in the washer/dryer unattended, so I couldn't use them"

"they no longer give you whole bottles of Champagne because some were hoarding them to bring home"

I can deal with those annoyances, but thx for the heads up.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Beach, I know from the Braves board that you are a real person, but you come off as a really whiny little "person".

That said, fly from Orlando to Vancouver non-stop. It's worth it. No one is going to steal your stuff. Carry expensive items carry on.

Seabourn is amazing. But you probably won't like that either.
Too many people are taking my post too seriously. No sense of humor. I thought the tongue 'n cheek was obvious with the emoji's, but apparently not. Sorry.

I'll look at Orlando. We are leaning Tampa > Seattle because Tampa's 1 hour, and we get free parking right next to the airport in a very safe and secure fenced in, lighted, and camera monitored lot, and free shuttle to/from the Tampa airport from the Mercedes dealer. They even wash your car the day you return! Nice perk, and the free parking will save ~$200.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
An Alaskan cruise is amazing, but take a shower before you leave home. And open up to life.
Yeah, I tend to live in a bubble these days. I'm very selective who I want to be around, but sometimes its unavoidable. I can hardly walk into a WalMart anymore. Travel used to be a special occasion where people dressed up, and treated fellow travelers with the utmost respect, but no more. Now, it's a cattle call. Sad.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,684,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Yeah, I tend to live in a bubble these days. I'm very selective who I want to be around, but sometimes its unavoidable. I can hardly walk into a WalMart anymore. Travel used to be a special occasion where people dressed up, and treated fellow travelers with the utmost respect, but no more. Now, it's a cattle call. Sad.
Nobody can blame you for the bolded part. Walmart shoppers are a breed of their own. I live in a smallish town that Walmart has squeezed out other businesses and now order a lot online to avoid that BLEEP hole.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:31 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:

Ingesting some legal in Washington, BC and Alaska marijuana edibles could be a consideration. Given your expectations and attitude towards mingling in public, the consciousness alteration provided would likely promote a more enjoyable vacation experience. Start with 5 mg.

Maybe not a good idea for in flight though.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Airlines do reserve the right to deny boarding to passengers with excessive body odor, you know. And no packing durian- the smell actually cause the diversion of an Air Canada flight a little while back.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:24 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Jmo,
From SeaTac, take the lightRail LINK to Seattle. Get to street level. Walk across 4th (towards the stadiums/sound) to Amtrak. Catch the Cascades Train (better than the Cascades bus) to Vancouver Train Station. (Customs into Canada-USA is extremely fast compared to the air terminals). Walk/lyft to cruise terminal.

Seattle hotels for 2019 are over built. Rooms are very competitive priced. Lots of Airbnb. Seattle is a lot of fun and scenic.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:37 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
I normally wouldnt worry about the laptop, but its a $3,500 Mac Pro w/ large screen, and I need to it work while I'm on this trip. I own a small business, so there's some things I cannot delegate. I'm not into the cloud backup computing yet. I worry about the safety/security of that. TSA typically steals smaller things like Rolex watches, jewelry, cash clips, ect.. A large MacBook Pro would be hard to walk away with.
You do not want to pack your laptop with your checked luggage. Airlines are not responsible for lost or damage to electronics.

I luv my airline, but no way would I put my MacPro in my checked luggage. It will bounce around, have things stacked on it, be out in the cold, heat, rain, etc.

For all the flights my entire family have been on--they only things stolen were my son's Leatherman (brand new) and his Victorinox Swiss engraved army knife I bought him in Switzerland . He was going to a new job and they were tools for his trade.

(I replaced his Victorinox a few days ago while I was in Zurich!)

Old 12-06-2019, 12:52 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Twenty plus years of being a frequent flyer, and never had a single thing stolen. I have absolutely no clue what the OP is yammering on about.
You're being sarcastic, right?

My international friends have goods stolen a lot. souvenirs, cologne, perfumes, clothings, etc.

It happened to me once and that was at Phoenix Sky Harbor.
it's always a gamble on int'l travel because the people who load know you are not coming back soon or ever again.

Last edited by frankrj; 12-06-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel