Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 07:50 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,312 times

Advertisements

Anyone been there? I'm going for work toward the end of January and will be staying an extra 3 days for some sight seeing. Tell me the must see places that I must check out.

I have to pack for about 10 days so I guess there's no way I'll get by with just a carry on. Any packing tips from seasoned travelers to Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
the usual sites (can cover most in one LONG day walking.)
You can buy a multi site pass for visitors.

Street markets and food.

Too bad you can't add some islands (Best part of Greece for my tastes)

Bring any prescriptions you need filled.. the pharmacies are awesome and helpful. Medical and medication advice for about 5 Euro.

Pack light! (We did a 1yr RTW with carry-on (one each)) Thrift shops are cheap and plentiful and you just leave your wares (Wears) for the next person.

10 days is ~ 3 changes of clothes that can be washed in a sink.

Wear (2) on the plane.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:35 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
Anyone been there? I'm going for work toward the end of January and will be staying an extra 3 days for some sight seeing. Tell me the must see places that I must check out.

I have to pack for about 10 days so I guess there's no way I'll get by with just a carry on. Any packing tips from seasoned travelers to Europe?
You need to hit the classics of course, the Acropolis Museum is great. The old Olympic Stadium is impressive and nobody goes there. Go up Lycabettus for great views. The Byzantine Museum is a must see unless you have seen many many Orthodox churches.

Make sure you have enough time to wander around the central neighborhoods: Plaka, Monastiraki, Psirri.. go see Poseidon’s temple in Cape Sounio if you can. Three full days for Athens is perfect.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:40 PM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
You can make it with a carry on. We did a month in Europe with a carry on each. All clothes should color coordinate. Take light clothes, & wash in hotel sink at night, they should be dry in the morning. Or use the hotel laundry system, it will likely be cheaper than paying for a checked bag ( if you have to pay a fee)

I love the Greek islands too, not sure if you have time to see any.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I have earned 2 free nights at Athens from hotels.com , my hotel at Athens has a view of the Acropolis. It will be interesting.
After that I will spend 3 weeks on two Greek Islands. The food is what I’m looking forward to.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:18 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,312 times
I wish I had time to go to the islands. Particularly Mykonos. I've seen pictures and it's beautiful! Unfortunately there won't be enough time.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm happy to get any suggestions I can before I go.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
They are all beautiful. Originally I thought of Mykonos and Santorini, now it’s Crete and Santorini. But I’ll be back. I was told, there are more than 256 islands in Greece, so there’s more time to explore other islands.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:10 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
I was in Athens years ago, and it is a great city to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
The old Olympic Stadium is impressive and nobody goes there.
I went there, just to say that I had run around the track (and I did). Then I and my friends got involved in a pickup soccer game with some Greek kids there. We didn't speak Greek, and they didn't speak English, but we had a fun time with plenty of laughs. They were better soccer players than we were, that was for sure.

Quote:
Make sure you have enough time to wander around the central neighborhoods: Plaka, Monastiraki, Psirri.. go see Poseidon’s temple in Cape Sounio if you can. Three full days for Athens is perfect.
As I recall, the Plaka is Athens' nightspot neighbourhood, and Monastiraki is a great flea market. Both are worth visiting. Also, if I recall correctly, there is a huge farmer's market within walking distance of Monastiraki--not that we needed meat or cheese or every kind of olive ever grown, but some of the best and biggest oranges I've ever eaten came from there. Other than that, I'd suggest Syntagma Square for the Changing of the Guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, performed by the Evzones; and the National Garden, if you want to take a break in a beautiful park.

There are the ancient sites that everybody wants to see, of course, but the above are suggestions for when you want to see something whose age is not measured in thousands of years.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:10 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,139 times
Check out local tavernas
The Acropolis
The Olympic stadium
The history museum
Just to name a few

Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
I enjoyed the changing of the guard on Sunday, the mad house at the Acropolis, ... beyond that, nothing. I prefer (the Isle of) Rhodes.

Athens is worth the trip, but I will probably never go back. However, I could spend time in Rhodes, or the mainland, outside Athens again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel