Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 08:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
At one point, lot of people, myself included, chose to opt out of going through full-body scanner machines.

At the risk of this turning into a polarized topic, which is not my intention, am asking if people still do this, or, if TSA practices have changed.

Please don't be that person to compare it to the same amount of radiation as blah blah blag and kindly do not attack one side or the other for their personal choice.

I don't travel as much as before, and much of my travel was outside the US, but I have noticed in some cases that fewer people have had to go through the scanners, it seems to be random or selective at least who they make go through them, and when. Also I think I had heard that the scanner tech has changed since first introduced.

I don't visit this forum much, if there is a thread on this please point me to it and happy to take it from there.
Yes. I opt out. Always. I've never gone through a scanner, except once, by accident.

But what do you mean, fewer people "have had to"? No one has to. Anyone can opt out.

The funny thing is that sometimes people say that it wastes too much time opting out. Really? And you really need that time to sit waiting by the gate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 12:21 PM

530 posts, read 175,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

But what do you mean, fewer people "have had to"? No one has to. Anyone can opt out.
Yes anyone can opt out, but since there's no sign anywhere saying that people can, only the knowledgeable are aware.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:51 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,731 times
Quote:
Yes. I opt out. Always. I've never gone through a scanner, except once, by accident.

The funny thing is that sometimes people say that it wastes too much time opting out. Really? And you really need that time to sit waiting by the gate?
Depends on how early you get to the airport. I have Pre, so I rarely go through those machines anyway, but the oddball time I do, I just go through it. I'm not worried about it, I don't particularly care what they see and it's faster than waiting around to get wanded or find a different machine. Then again, I'm 100% not getting to the airport the 2+ hours early they tell you to. Depending on the airport and what time my flight is, I'll get there at best an hour early, especially for an early morning flight. Drop the car, self serve check in, drop my bag and off I go. Through security in 5-10 minutes, grab a bottle of water and a snack and head for my gate. I might wait half an hour or so, if that?

Old 01-10-2020, 01:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I'm not worried about it, I don't particularly care what they see and it's faster than waiting around to get wanded or find a different machine.
They don't see anything. The scanners currently in use yield a generic body outline with areas of concern highlighted with a box. Similar to this.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:12 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,889 times
I’ve never gone through a backscatter type machine, and don’t intend to do so. But I have had Global Entry for a good while now, so that’s not an issue.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I’ve never gone through a backscatter type machine, and don’t intend to do so. But I have had Global Entry for a good while now, so that’s not an issue.
Well, no one goes through backscatter, because they aren't in use anymore. TSA now uses millimeter wave scanners.

And even with PreCheck, you can still be required to go through the millimeter wave scanner. Most everyone goes through the metal detector, but those are set up to randomly select passengers for additional screening.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
Yes anyone can opt out, but since there's no sign anywhere saying that people can, only the knowledgeable are aware.
What a great point! Yes!

I wonder what would happen if there were big signs saying something like:

"Our security checkpoint uses a standard scanning machine. However, you are welcome to instead opt out and choose a personal search, for health reasons, privacy reasons, or anything else."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Depends on how early you get to the airport. I have Pre, so I rarely go through those machines anyway, but the oddball time I do, I just go through it. I'm not worried about it, I don't particularly care what they see and it's faster than waiting around to get wanded or find a different machine. Then again, I'm 100% not getting to the airport the 2+ hours early they tell you to. Depending on the airport and what time my flight is, I'll get there at best an hour early, especially for an early morning flight. Drop the car, self serve check in, drop my bag and off I go. Through security in 5-10 minutes, grab a bottle of water and a snack and head for my gate. I might wait half an hour or so, if that?
I don't get there particularly early. I get there maybe an hour and a half early - but that's not because of the scanning, but because I'm wary about traffic. I find that opting out of the scanning takes an additional 10-20 minutes, and that's time that I'd just be sitting waiting anyway.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:16 PM

530 posts, read 175,304 times
Quote:
What a great point! Yes!

I wonder what would happen if there were big signs saying something like:

"Our security checkpoint uses a standard scanning machine. However, you are welcome to instead opt out and choose a personal search, for health reasons, privacy reasons, or anything else."
It would be nice to have signs like that. I bet they don't put them up because they're concerned that more people would choose to opt out and it would take even longer.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:09 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
I bet they don't put them up because they're concerned that more people would choose to opt out and it would take even longer.
I suspect the vocal minority that are paranoid about scanners are exactly that... an insignificant percentage that makes the loudest noise about it (and probably everything else in their lives), so they greatly overestimate how much anyone else really cares.

Last edited by lieqiang; 01-21-2020 at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-21-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I suspect the vocal minority that are paranoid about backscatter devices are exactly that... an insignificant percentage that makes the loudest noise about it (and probably everything else in their lives), so they greatly overestimate how much anyone else really cares.
If they're paranoid about backscatter devices they're also uninformed, since backscatter scanners haven't been used by TSA since 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel