Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 10:37 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,411,859 times

Advertisements

We are leaving for Mexico City soon. Unfortunately, my husband suffers from chronic post-viral cough. For the last ten years, every time he gets a cold or flu, he coughs and coughs for weeks and weeks afterwards. And I mean he really coughs, like he is coughing up a lung.

He came down with a head cold a few weeks ago and is yet again hacking away. I am sure he doesn’t have the coronavirus virus. He hasn’t travelled anywhere where there has been an outbreak and doesn’t know people who have. Also, no local outbreak here. Beside, he just has the cough, no fever, no shortness of breath. Just the coughing he usually gets.

We’ve has it checked out in the past with our PCP and there is nothing serious going on. My husband says his throat just really really tickles him constantly and that is why he is always coughing.

So I am sure he just has his typical post-viral cough.

Nonetheless, I am really worried about the flight there and about any potential health screening in Mexico City. I told him he really needs to wear a mask on the plane or else he will get the stink-eye from everyone. But I am thinking of having him take the mask off as we go through screening and just. not. cough. if he can possibly handle that for ten minutes or so. Also, if the screener asks if he has been sick recently, he could just say No as he actually had the cold over three weeks ago. That way we won’t get stuck with additional screening, potentially miss our connecting flight and whatever else. Of course, he is an inveterate truth teller (whether or not the truth in question is actual helpful), I think I will have a hard time getting him on board with the not coughing and saying he hasn’t been sick.

Anyway .... what to do? Is there anyway to know what the health screening protocol is there in Mexico City? I looked online and couldn’t find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 12:32 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
Canadian family removed from plane because of their young daughter coughing. The plane was diverted to another airport and the family removed.

<snip>Air Transat removed a family of five Canadians from a flight after their child began coughing on the plane, prompting a demand for medical documents which they could not provide.

The couple said the girl, 21-month-old Lila, had been examined that morning by a doctor, who said she was fine to fly.

But when flight crew asked for a document to prove this, they could not provide it.

When a second doctor — another passenger on the flight — was asked to examine the baby, he also said her health also wasn't bad enough to stop them from flying, TVA Nouvelles said.<snip>

https://www.businessinsider.com/fami...navirus-2020-2

Old 03-06-2020, 02:25 PM

18,171 posts, read 15,743,695 times
Quote:
We’ve has it checked out in the past with our PCP and there is nothing serious going on. My husband says his throat just really really tickles him constantly and that is why he is always coughing.

Root cause time. Husband has post-nasal drip, which creates the constant need to cough because of the tickle. It's not 'serious' but it is incredibly frustrating for the sufferer and the people around the sufferer.

Solution: Mucinex (or its generic, Guaifenesin) 400mg. Every 4 hours.

I get post-nasal drip when I've either had a cold or allergies emerge and the urge to cough and try to clear it is incessant. I finally realized that thinning out the mucus was *the answer*. Ever since then it's been fine. Once the mucus is thinned-out then the tickle goes away. Mucus still flows down the back of the throat from the sinuses, as nature intends, but you don't feel it. No tickle, no gagging, no need to cough.

I keep a big bottle of Mucinex generic in my home. It's safe, it's effective and certain times of the year, it's my go-to.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:27 PM

5,771 posts, read 11,402,301 times
Mexico City is not a favorable destination from someone suffering from cough, sinus or throat issues. First, for most who live at low elevation, it takes a couple of days just to adapt to the altitude at well over 7000' above sea level. Then there is the air pollution, which is often in the unhealthy range, including now. It might make the coughing worse.

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...ity&cityid=745

Old 03-07-2020, 05:42 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,411,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Mexico City is not a favorable destination from someone suffering from cough, sinus or throat issues. First, for most who live at low elevation, it takes a couple of days just to adapt to the altitude at well over 7000' above sea level. Then there is the air pollution, which is often in the unhealthy range, including now. It might make the coughing worse.

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...ity&cityid=745
We’re just passing through the Mexico City airport. Mexico City is not our final destination.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:55 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,597,287 times
... and you'll have just gotten off a plane where the air pressure was the equivalent of 6-8k feet anyway.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:51 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
We are leaving for Mexico City soon. Unfortunately, my husband suffers from chronic post-viral cough. For the last ten years, every time he gets a cold or flu, he coughs and coughs for weeks and weeks afterwards. And I mean he really coughs, like he is coughing up a lung.

He came down with a head cold a few weeks ago and is yet again hacking away. I am sure he doesn’t have the coronavirus virus
I’m sure your husband isn’t going to expose anyone to his weeks old head cold, however if his health is questionable then “he” is venerable to other issues. Unless an MD has checked him out for travel it may not be worth going at this time. Medical professionals are saying that seniors and anyone with health issues should avoid travel at this time.

Quote:
We’ve has it checked out in the past with our PCP and there is nothing serious going on.
However that was “then” not “now”; unless he has been checked out by an MD recently you should “think” about going at a later date.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel