Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 04:24 PM

793 posts, read 331,861 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to go back to Europe in late June. I hope it happens. If the borders open up, I won't hesitate one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 07:34 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Too early to tell. There will be a lot of people fearful of risking travel even if things are back up and running normally, so it should be pretty easy to get flights if you need them. Because of this, costs will also likely be lower.

Have some people I know traveling now and posting pictures on Facebook, airports are completely desolate. So it may be relatively safe, regardless. Plus, they will likely be much more diligent about cleaning, even though airports are magnets for germs. The big question is whether the virus has died down with the warm weather. If it hasn't and it is crowded, there is a risk. Plus you don't know who will be sitting next to you (or in front of/behind you) on your flight or in the waiting area. I don't plan on doing any traveling this summer.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:34 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
We always go on several camping trips each spring and summer. The spring fling is out due to stay at home here in Washington state. Our home business really picks up in the summer so we need to stay at home to ensure it operates smoothly. We may sneak in a quick short trip to the nearby National Forest if it opens. Hopefully, we can plan on the fall trip to Montana, Wyoming and northern Utah. But, that depends on if they will welcome tourism. If not, then we remain home.

Be safe all and happy trails.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:10 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I will max out on PTO by late summer. I'm in Tennessee. I might do a nonstop flight. I'm not doing a layover in a big airport. Most likely it will be two, one week roadtrips.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:31 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Safe to travel this summer? If you feel safe enough to visit the ICU at the hospital with wearing any PPE then you should be ok to travel, otherwise it's best to stay home.

You might be safe enough to travel but are all the others; that's the question????

Old 04-22-2020, 09:51 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
At best, this is the summer for day trips to uncrowded places nearby only if things improve significantly by July. Most attractions will not be open. The idea that deaths will be down to zero is nonsense and there will not be an effective vaccine until next year. I would not plan a big trip.

We went to UK and Ireland on March 1st thinking we could outrun the virus, and we did for a while, but it caught up with us halfway through the trip in Ireland and everything closed but the bare essentials. We waited it out and made the best of it for about ten days but then there was the hassle of hotels closing and trying to get home as the airlines were cancelling flights. At the time, the first US Covid19 death was on February 28 so a March trip still seemed reasonable when we left. We dodged a bullet and did not get sick.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:02 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Atlguy View Post
I'm wanting to go back to Europe in late June. I hope it happens. If the borders open up, I won't hesitate one bit.

Late June is probably too early IMO....I'm hesitating about December..........

Old 04-23-2020, 11:53 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I will max out on PTO by late summer. I'm in Tennessee. I might do a nonstop flight. I'm not doing a layover in a big airport. Most likely it will be two, one week roadtrips.
You are right to be concerned about airports. We went through four in 24 hours including Heath Row and Dallas. Dallas was the worst as far as the likelihood of mass viral infection.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:46 PM

793 posts, read 331,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Late June is probably too early IMO....I'm hesitating about December..........
It really depends on the safety protocols the airlines follow. If they requite wearing a mask on an international trip, that will be a royal pain in the a*s!

Old 04-23-2020, 01:13 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Atlguy View Post
It really depends on the safety protocols the airlines follow. If they requite wearing a mask on an international trip, that will be a royal pain in the a*s!

AND a mask is not 100% protection anyway.......especially if you are crammed together like sardines on a plane.

So....you are planning on flying to Europe in June?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel