Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will air travel really change or is the media scaring people?
Yes, Air Travel will Change Forever. 50 52.63%
No, Air Travel will Not Change Forever. 45 47.37%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 02:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that once ANY business realizes that they can cut costs and get away with it, they will not go back to "how it was" (meaning more consumer oriented). I think that for the great majority of people, air travel will just be like taking a Greyhound bus, ...The ONLY advantage to flying is that it is a shorter amount of time unless you get a very cheap discount flight -- and, to me, in that case, the cost savings (if any) would not be worth the hassle.

While I real enjoy road trips... My photo album from 1 yr ago shows we flew Den to Wisconsin ($39 + one flew for free (annual companion pass)). So on your next trip to Door County... We were there before you can get to Nebraska.

But... If you have plenty of time and not too many places to go you can cover it by road trips.

Greyhound?
After my last trip with bail bond breakers, and the 'seatmate decapitation' in Canada kinda soured my taste for Greyhound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 03:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorandesert92 View Post
what i hate out of this whole pandemic is the mandatory mask requirement. I hate wearing a mask. I have breathing issues and i suffocate in one of those. The next time i travel, at the airport, i'm just only covering my mouth and not my nose. I'd be fine covering my mouth, but the fact that it's mandated, it is very unamerican and goes against our constitution. I bet you anything, back when we had polio, turbecoulous, and spanish flu, the measures were not as strict. This goes to show covid-19 is much worse than any pandemic we had ever.

I really hope the mandated mask requirement will not stick forever. I fear it will, and eventually we will be like china. I'm just living in fear. I'm not the only one who hates mask mandate requirements. I have friends who hate it too and they don't go anywhere at all where it's required. I also feel polio was nothing compared to covid-19, but i could be wrong.
You can't make me not be stupid!!! I ain't a-gonna do it!!! Don't confuse me with science and epidemiology and virology and stuff like that!!!! It's a violation of my rights!!!!

Listen here buddy, the regulations are trying to save your life and keep you from killing others.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorandesert92 View Post
What I hate out of this whole pandemic is the mandatory mask requirement. I hate wearing a mask. I have breathing issues and I suffocate in one of those. ... I bet you anything, back when we had polio, turbecoulous, and Spanish Flu, the measures were not as strict. This goes to show COVID-19 is much worse than any pandemic we had ever. (do your research (very ez in 3 minutes...) masks REQUIRED in previous pandemics and lessons learned from those who tested fate (many died as a result of 'de-masking' too soon)

I really hope the mandated mask requirement will not stick forever. I fear it will, and eventually we will be like China. I'm just living in fear. I'm not the only one who hates mask mandate requirements. I have friends who hate it too and they don't go anywhere at all where it's required. I also feel polio was nothing compared to COVID-19, but I could be wrong.
You are wrong... There is a lot more medical understanding / technology / decades of 'practicing medicine' (i.e. failures to learn from). ONLY if we follow the science, known controls and prevention (masks / social distance / hand and face hygiene / tracking / isolation of 'super spreaders') and rational decision process (That excludes politicians and media)

Yes... by the nature of the need to be RESPONSIBLE we (all) will lose some freedoms and be inconvenienced (need to wear masks and self isolate), and some will still die.

Have you ever LIVED in China?, do you know how the Chinese and expats actually feel about the government? (not TRUSTING!!!! as we (USA 'sheep'). From my contacts within China during Covid, the residents / citizens very much took EXTRA personal measure, far superior to government recommendations. (Those in countries with high controls KNOW their gov is lying to them...).. Just do the research on Taiwan (it too is China, kinda...) (0.3 deaths / million vs USA 300 deaths / million). Taiwan got inundated with fleeing Chinese early in Covid, yet 441 cases and (7) deaths TOTAL in a country that has a LOT of high density living (worse than NYC). with NO LOCKDOWN!!!!
Never fear. There are ways to be safe!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-...ntive_measures
On 31 December 2019, Taiwan Centers for Disease Control (CDC) implemented inspection measures for inbound flights from Wuhan, China in response to reports of an unidentified outbreak.
On 24 January, the Taiwanese government announced a temporary ban on the export of face masks for one month to secure a supply of masks for its own citizens.[71][72] The ban was extended twice; on 13 February until the end of April,[73] and on 13 April until the end of June.[74] On 6 February, the government instituted a mask rationing system, requiring citizens to present their National Health Insurance card.[75][76] Prior to its implementation, the system was extended to holders of the Alien Resident Certificate, and people with valid entry permits.[77] People with odd-numbered identity documents were permitted to buy masks on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; those with even-numbered identity documents were to buy masks on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays; anyone is allowed to buy masks on Sundays. Adults were allowed to buy two masks each visit and children four, with the restriction that a minimum of seven days must elapse since the last purchase. The date restriction for children under thirteen years of age was revoked on 27 February.[78][79] Starting 5 March, adults were permitted to buy three masks weekly, and the children's quota was raised to five.[80] Masks were available for pre-order online from 12 March.[81] In April, the mask rationing system was revised, so that adults could buy nine masks every two weeks. From 9 April, the specific date restrictions are to be removed. In addition, Taiwanese nationals can send 30 masks every two months overseas to first or second-degree relatives.[82][83] Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs assumed responsibility for distribution of masks to families of diplomats.[84]

It really is quite interesting to live in different cultures and understand how they cope with urgent health matters. Taiwan Government stated that 'healthy adults' do not need to wear masks, even on public transit, and the public outcry was immense! The people KNEW they needed to wear masks and were very angry the gov suggested otherwise!
I wonder if Taiwan has an informed and engaged electorate Bet they do NEXT time USA is FAR from that level of social participation and responsibility as a citizen to care for and about each other.

Trust us... NONE of us like to wear masks. We are only doing it for YOU, and others we meet. It certainly does not protect us! (and we know that)... it is out of respect for YOU, that we endure this minor hardship and hassle.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:49 PM

656 posts, read 813,821 times
Some moron tried to blow up a plane with a shoe bomb ages ago, so now millions must remove their shoes for security theater, to address a problem that no longer exists.

More air travel nonsense to come.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:05 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Some moron tried to blow up a plane with a shoe bomb ages ago, so now millions must remove their shoes for security theater, to address a problem that no longer exists.

More air travel nonsense to come.
Remember that guy who had the explosives in his underwear back then? Glad that security inspection never caught on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel