Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 04:00 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times

Advertisements

Are you traveling for leisure or business right now amid the Delta surge?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ed/8100193002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 05:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Like this very minute?

Yes, as usual.

Have been more careful to not expose others.
Have rearranged a few trips and events to be less participants, and outdoors if possible.
Limit time with contacts, (<15 min)
A lot more solo travel. (Often via back roads / motorcycle)
Fewer museums, concerts, classes.

Covid is here to stay (we missed our chance to stop it)
Deal with it in all ways. (Travel, home, office, events)

Author SHOULD have written a proactive and beneficial travel recommendation article.

"This is what I would be doing if not for Covid, but this is how I can continue to do those things IN SPITE of Covid." Most activities are still possible to do.... Just do them differently. !

An example is the family reunion discussion.... Instead of lamenting.... Figure out how to host a safe one!

Granted, daily quick and accurate testing should have been available for the last yr. (As S Korea offered to CDC... <$4). USA cost can still be $240 and 72 hr results. . We have the technology and resources to mitigate Covid fear / disruption. Just Do It.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:44 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
We left for a 2 week vacation on July 31st. Yes we were a little concerned, but we were taking our trailer and camping/hiking for the majority of the trip. We felt like there was a small risk with these activities. We drove from Wyoming to Oregon and camped there for a few days. We saw Crater Lake N.P. but we stayed away from people as much as possible, and all the visitor centers required masks.

Then we drove down to the redwoods in Northern California. We did some hikes, but again stayed away from others and picked less popular hikes, or went at off times. We did grab a meal in Trinidad, but the restaurant was firm about their mask policy and again we went at an off time.

Finally we drove to central California to visit our families. We are all vaccinated, as are my in-laws and my mom. The three cousins ages 12, 10, and 6 are not vaccinated, and they had just returned from a trip to Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, and Midevil times. Guess what, one of the cousins tested positive for Covid when we were visiting and we were all exposed. Canceled the remainder of our trip. Never went to see my 93 year old grandma down in LA. Got tested for Covid and our family tested negative, one of the other boys tested positive but by then we drove the 23 hours back home.

Do I regret the vacation? Not at all. We had a blast. Do I regret seeing the cousins right after they had been in three very populated tourist areas? Yeah. Wish my brother-in-law had waited a few days before bringing his boys over to visit all of us. We showed up at my husband's parents house and they were already there and waiting. Hindsight is 20/20.

Would I take a 2 week trip given the state of things as it stands in the country now? Probably not. We knew we were pushing things as it was, and it bit us. Staying put for a while until things slow down again.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:47 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Less and less, day by day. Another record number of cases here in NSW, today we may travel even less. We can travel in our local government area but if outside it only up to 5ks unless we have an essential reason to travel. If we are in a red zone only 5ks.

Meanwhile Victoria, includes Melbourne, have extended their lockdown until Sept 2nd and looks like a night curfew coming in. Then the Northern Territory, including Darwin have just gone into lockdown because of a single Covid case. Canberra have extended their lockdown another fortnight.

Travel has become a distant dream.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:01 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Was in Mexico 3 weeks ago but wouldn't think of going too far from my home for now. We are in a very different place now with the Delta surge.

I get my booster shot tomorrow. I hope that gives me the courage to venture out more.

IMO not a great time to go out and about. I hope that after Labor Day I will have a better idea where this is all going.

Mind you I was traveling all over the world right after 9/11 but a virus is totally different.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:28 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
I'm typing this from a beach on the Oregon Coast.

I usually travel alone and I'm fine with dining outdoors, or getting takeout and eating in a park or whatever, so for me it's no riskier than being at home.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:16 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,407,070 times
Yes, for now. But thar way change as our vaccines wear off and Covid numbers increase .

Old 08-16-2021, 05:52 AM

829 posts, read 629,647 times
No. We've never been ready to travel on any type of mass transit - bus, train, plane, etc. - or stay in a hotel where air is recirculated. There are a lot of trips we'd love to take overseas, but even after vaccination, there was just too much uncertainty to feel comfortable doing that.

We were thinking of traveling domestically via car after Labor Day when school is back in session (as we always have) but have decided to sit tight for now and see where this is all going. Even if we rented a house or condo somewhere, we've pulled back a bit and aren't eating out at restaurants again - and that's a big part of the fun of travel/vacation for us. Fortunately, we live in a beach resort area with a lot of state parks, so it's not a hardship to stay home. So like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I tell myself "there's no place like home, there's no place like home".

Old 08-16-2021, 06:45 AM

290 posts, read 250,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Are you traveling for leisure or business right now amid the Delta surge?

Yes, frequently and whenever I want (leisure).

1. I'm fully vaxxed.
  2. I travel exclusively* in my RV.
  3. I am (almost) completely self-contained.
  4. My vehicle is substantially modified with long-range tanks (>2000 miles range).
  5. I only visit outdoor destinations.
  6. RV parks allow online reservations and checkins (no contact).

I can travel, see the sights, and have almost zero human contact.

*One exception: widowed father, also vaxxed. I stay in his house rather than the RV.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:50 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
We never stopped traveling since this all started and are continuing with 4 trips planned for the next 8 months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel