Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,016,667 times

Advertisements

I am 51 years old, African-American, and have never been off this continent. I took a road trip from New England to Texas when I was 15 and I have crossed the Canadian border in Maine for a day. I would LOVE to travel if my finances and household security would allow it.

By the way, I will take donations to finance my overseas adventures. Just PM me and I'll give ypu the account to send the money.

I'm an artist and every artist should get to see the Louvre just once.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 AM

845 posts, read 2,832,358 times
I've always noticed this too. At Disney World FL, which is in the Deep South close to a lot of Black population, there actually seemed to be more more French-speaking Canadians than there were Blacks. In the major tourists cities of Ocean City, MD, and Virginia Beach, VA, states with large Black populations, also hardly any Black visitors.

In my lifelong hometown, Washington D.C. which has the world's largest collection of various free-of-charge Museums which cover all variety of different fascinating subjects, the Smithsonian Institution, there are very few Black visitors in any of the buildings (except for the security guards). There are thousands of Blacks who live only a couple of miles away who have never even been in the museums a single time in their life, even though admission is free, and many exhibits touch on Black history. Many of them prefer instead going on bus excursions to Atlantic City or Delaware to waste their money gambling in slot machines - in conversations at the office, lunchroom, or commuter bus, they're forever talking about playing slot machines.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 PM

17 posts, read 53,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
In my lifelong hometown, Washington D.C. which has the world's largest collection of various free-of-charge Museums which cover all variety of different fascinating subjects, the Smithsonian Institution, there are very few Black visitors in any of the buildings (except for the security guards). There are thousands of Blacks who live only a couple of miles away who have never even been in the museums a single time in their life, even though admission is free, and many exhibits touch on Black history. Many of them prefer instead going on bus excursions to Atlantic City or Delaware to waste their money gambling in slot machines - in conversations at the office, lunchroom, or commuter bus, they're forever talking about playing slot machines.
I'm very sorry to hear that, Slowlane :/ I wish that were different, though it's something I've also noticed about Blacks and museums. Maybe it's not that big of a deal to some, but I think it's unfortunate. At my university, I'm the only Black person earning English Literature degree specializations in African American Studies and Museum Studies, so I can't help but wish more Americans in general were interested in museum visitations.

The museum specialization, however, is giving me the chance to make my first trip abroad, despite how much my parents were prefer otherwise (they want me to do an internship in the US, but I've made up my mind about going abroad). I'll be traveling to Ireland for a good 2-3 months with possible short visitations to France, Italy and the UK/Scotland (if I'm lucky). I'm too excited for words, though; received my passport today and I'm slowly getting ready.

That being the case, the lack of Black/African American tourists is something I see as a detriment. Because of this, I'm going to try and make it a personal priority to travel as often as possible, both now in my 20s and during my children's teen years - I'd like them to be well-traveled and if nothing else, know 2 languages if not more. I've also decided to try, while older, having a long roadtrip throughout the US, visiting all of those states I've only ever seen in pictures (I've only ever been to FL and SC really).

Maybe I'll live in a state for 6 months to a year each, and maybe I'll just stay for a few weeks. Maybe I'll freelance for work while traveling, and will settle down to work with a museum in the end. For now, there seem to be endless possibilities.

Regardless, though, there has to be a change in the pattern of being enclosed in this bubble without contact with the outside world - I feel that from the very inside of my being. I've been hit very hard with this desire to travel and although my school is funding this summer's trip abroad, I do hope that I will find (in some way, shape or form) the financial support/ability to do more in the way of experience in this area. Even if it means becoming a travel adviser, study abroad leader (leading teens on their trips during the summer) or Airplane stewardess for a while.

I thoroughly hope more Black people and Americans as a whole, become (and are economically allowed to become) better traveled. I think it'd do a world of good.

Last edited by Tamith; 02-23-2010 at 04:45 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I am seriously looking into study abroad programs. It is difficult to find one for Geographic Information Science majors(ironic because GIS is offered at the university I attend). Right now, I am looking for a job so that I can save up for a trip this summer. My plan: Save up enough money to fly to Paris and see other parts of Europe. For now, I am thinking about study abroad.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:57 AM

17 posts, read 53,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am seriously looking into study abroad programs. It is difficult to find one for Geographic Information Science majors(ironic because GIS is offered at the university I attend). Right now, I am looking for a job so that I can save up for a trip this summer. My plan: Save up enough money to fly to Paris and see other parts of Europe. For now, I am thinking about study abroad.
Good luck with the study abroad idea, Pirate =) Hope everything works out well with that! The program I'm signing up under is located here:
www.bunac.org

In case you're interested For most of the programs, you have to have proof of your being a university student, and you can get a good internship going in the UK if you wanted. There is also a very informative Peterson's study abroad book that my school has on reserve - if I see anything in there for your major (is GIS your major?), I'll let you know!

Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,951 times
I believe everyone here has very valid points. Just a matter of education (I've sought it on my own because formal education taught me very little), comfort level (I know what is comfortable once 'I' have experienced it for myself and not based on opinions or other people's experiences), old customs (I acknowledge these but, they do not dictate my life or actions...if many Black Americans do not have passports, that is them, I am Me!), income (I work to go on my trips the way anyone would, not brain surgery...poor people work and consume just like rich ones) and a bit of familiarity (if there is no Black population existing at the suggested trip destination, I know I will not be to consume certain things that I normally would and in many cases may need. Ex: skincare, haircare, food, art and leisure pertaining to me and my genetic characteristics.) I wouldn't want to put myself in a situation! Also, I would not want to feel the burden of having to represent most if not all of the African American population. (I dread having to constantly answer questions about my blackness.)

Old 03-14-2010, 05:39 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,849 times
I've been on travel forums where African Americans asked if they'd feel welcome if they visited countries like Scotland or Ireland where it's overwhelmingly white. They'd never considered visiting because they assumed they'd feel unwelcome. There would be no problems at all as far as I know. The only racism I'm aware of in Scotland is the low-lifes in the city slums who don't like immigrants of all races.

Come visit!! A Ugandan friend of ours is coming to spend a couple of months with us this summer. I'll post about it later. I hope she doesn't feel uncomfortable as she's never experienced being in the minority before. But I'll reassure her that people are just curious about her. I'll guarantee they will be friendly toward her.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamith View Post
I'm very sorry to hear that, Slowlane :/ I wish that were different, though it's something I've also noticed about Blacks and museums. Maybe it's not that big of a deal to some, but I think it's unfortunate. At my university, I'm the only Black person earning English Literature degree specializations in African American Studies and Museum Studies, so I can't help but wish more Americans in general were interested in museum visitations.

The museum specialization, however, is giving me the chance to make my first trip abroad, despite how much my parents were prefer otherwise (they want me to do an internship in the US, but I've made up my mind about going abroad). I'll be traveling to Ireland for a good 2-3 months with possible short visitations to France, Italy and the UK/Scotland (if I'm lucky). I'm too excited for words, though; received my passport today and I'm slowly getting ready.

That being the case, the lack of Black/African American tourists is something I see as a detriment. Because of this, I'm going to try and make it a personal priority to travel as often as possible, both now in my 20s and during my children's teen years - I'd like them to be well-traveled and if nothing else, know 2 languages if not more. I've also decided to try, while older, having a long roadtrip throughout the US, visiting all of those states I've only ever seen in pictures (I've only ever been to FL and SC really).

Maybe I'll live in a state for 6 months to a year each, and maybe I'll just stay for a few weeks. Maybe I'll freelance for work while traveling, and will settle down to work with a museum in the end. For now, there seem to be endless possibilities.

Regardless, though, there has to be a change in the pattern of being enclosed in this bubble without contact with the outside world - I feel that from the very inside of my being. I've been hit very hard with this desire to travel and although my school is funding this summer's trip abroad, I do hope that I will find (in some way, shape or form) the financial support/ability to do more in the way of experience in this area. Even if it means becoming a travel adviser, study abroad leader (leading teens on their trips during the summer) or Airplane stewardess for a while.

I thoroughly hope more Black people and Americans as a whole, become (and are economically allowed to become) better traveled. I think it'd do a world of good.
Perhaps a bit OT, but I have to comment on a very well thought out and well written post. May your dreams of travel come true. A rep to go with the praise.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey2LS View Post
I dont agree with any of these comments. I am black and have travelled all over the world and so have my family and friends. I have been to non black places like Austria and Luxemburg and never felt uncomfortable. I have never felt unwelcomed at a national park even in places far away from my "community" like when I went to Denali on my birthday or Crater Lake last year. I also love cruises and hanging out by the beach....I was raised in Florida, it is in my blood. And I also love to stay at hotels. I will be staying at The W in Seattle this weekend with my friend. Race is not a factor when it comes to where I will vacation.
You may not agree with those comments, but that doesn't mean their not true for many others...

So obviously your perspective is different about yourself and the world you live in...great...but to dismiss how others feel, just because you don't feel that way is...I don't have the word for it...

I don't doubt this mans sincerety in paraphrasing what his friends told him...
Again, we're all different, even A-Americans relate to the world around them in different ways....

Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen477 View Post
I don't think the question is whether or not African-Americans travel, but the mode of travel that is most used. I am not big on flying, which is funny since I enjoy going plane-spotting at the airport (an activity that doesn't draw many African-American enthusiasts, by the way). I just don't like how I feel when I'm in an airplane, so I don't travel by air frequently. I do, however, witness many African American travellers on highways and on trains.
Your post flowed well, until ya had to go and make that distinction...
the line I'm refereing to is..

'I enjoy going plane spotting at the airport [an activity that doesn't draw many African-America enthusiasts)

And how would you know?
And what was the purpose of making that distinction in your mind?
To show people that your not what? or that your more like whom?

In your mind, as you wrote that, who was your audience?

All I'm saying is although subtle in some, it shows we can all be 'racist' in our implications...
By implying always that all things open and creative and of science, have to do with 'wht'...and all things small, limiting and unproductive have to do with 'blck'...

I'm a person of color, as you are, and love aviation...but I'm sure as i walk down the street, people probablly assume a lot about me...what I like or don't like, without ever bothering to ask....as you implied in your statement. Infact I use to take pilot lessons...flew solo a few times...

It's better to just ask people what their interested in, rather than conclude things about others solely based on skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel