Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
This is a very interesting topic. I think it could be said most black people don't do things most white people do. I have not seen very many American blacks in my world travels to AUS, NZ, UK and Europe. It could be said they don't really do anything white people do, for the most part:
How many black people do you hear about taking trips to go snowboarding or mountain biking or rock climbing? How many black families do you see at the campground with a 40' 5th wheel? Not a lot of folk.
I don't completely know the answer, but my guess is a lot is based on socio-economic factors.
I actually think it's more a case of socio-economics than anything else. I'm sure wealthy middle and upper class blacks go snowboarding, on vacations to Europe etc just as much as whites, but of course I could be wrong. Also, likewise, how many dirt-poor white farmers from the Ozarks or West Virginia go to say Paris?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:09 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I actually think it's more a case of socio-economics than anything else. I'm sure wealthy middle and upper class blacks go snowboarding, on vacations to Europe etc just as much as whites, but of course I could be wrong. Also, likewise, how many dirt-poor white farmers from the Ozarks or West Virginia go to say Paris?
I'm sure some dirt-poor whites from the Ozarks have never heard of Paris, or if they have they're probably thinking of Paris, TX.
I just know from my personal experience that I never see any blacks on the ski hill or in the mountain bike park.
Every single time I go camping, it always looks like a very white version of a LL Bean or REI catalog.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:25 AM

37 posts, read 323,687 times
Default America is full of upper middle clas Black People

America is full of upper middle class Black People WHO DO NOT TRAVEL.

People are trying to hide behind the economic argument why Black people are rarely seen at tourist attractions. That is a weak argument in an era of huge increases in the prosperity of African Americans.

Black people in my observation just do not share a love for travel in the same percentages as white people. It is a cultural differences. Yes, I see a handful of blacks at Disney, the NATIONAL PARKS, at a Broadway Show, at the Museum, at the historical center of Williamsburg VA but they are not represented in the percentage of their population. Maybe 1 in 100, instead of 1 in 10.

The question that has not been answered is WHY?

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM

347 posts, read 696,126 times
Just surmising here but maybe

1. African Americans tend to get more pleasure from purchasing material things than travelling. Given disposable income they are more likely to buy a nice car or clothing. Absolutely nothing is wrong with that.
2. What's the savings rate for African Americans of means? Maybe it is higher than that of European Americans of equal means, meaning maybe AAs prefer to save their extra money.
3. Gross generalization alert!! It's my opinion that European Americans and people of Euro descent in general tend to be quite adventurous. I saw this quite a bit in Canada, where I decided to try my hand at skiing. I always remember being on the chairlift and overhearing these two Euro Canadian moms talking about how important it is to introduce their kids to skiing from a tender age - in this case about 3 years old for one of the kids! So if one is looking for non Euro Americans in adventure travel like skiing, camping, hiking trips....they might be tougher to find.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 AM

37 posts, read 323,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Magnolia View Post
Um I am Black and love to travel and I always seen plenty of other blacks at hotels and resorts.
Everytime someone makes an observation about an ethnic or cultural group there is a posting like this. Good, just because YOU are black and YOU like to travel to resorts and museums does not mean that most others who share your skin color do.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
I'm sure some dirt-poor whites from the Ozarks have never heard of Paris, or if they have they're probably thinking of Paris, TX.
I just know from my personal experience that I never see any blacks on the ski hill or in the mountain bike park.
Every single time I go camping, it always looks like a very white version of a LL Bean or REI catalog.
That's interesting, because like I've said I've seen more than a few black American tourists here in Oz (which surprised me too), and Americans as a group are pretty far down the list behind English, Germans, Canadians. None of them fit the stereotype and the way they spoke was the same as the white American tourists. This didn't strike me as weird at all, I pretty much forget they were black.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's interesting, because like I've said I've seen more than a few black American tourists here in Oz (which surprised me too), and Americans as a group are pretty far down the list behind English, Germans, Canadians. None of them fit the stereotype and the way they spoke was the same as the white American tourists. This didn't strike me as weird at all, I pretty much forget they were black.
I'd have to agree - when I have been in AUS it's always Brits, Canadians, Europeans etc. Very few Yanks it seems

Old 04-09-2011, 12:19 AM

983 posts, read 4,443,006 times
Been a while since I first posted here.
As far as skiing, there are a few black ski clubs, but you are correct in the numbers being minimal.
As a black person that travels (but haven't been outside of the states yet) I find that many blacks tend to do events, or family reunions, or fraternity/sorority functions. We tend to travel where there will be other blacks for social or networking purposes.

Not to say that some blacks are not taking trips as individuals or couples because they are.

From what I have seen our reasons for travel seem to be different. I was just recalling a friend of mine who falls into the category I mention above, event/group traveler. He has two sons, and I have never known him to take them on a trip out of the country just to expose them to it. I think other cultures expose their children to travel early on.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
Quote:
Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks
I know the National Parks have made a huge effort to attract Blacks to the Parks. Why wouldn't they feel welcome? I don't understand this one.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 PM

776 posts, read 1,674,047 times
This country would be in a much better place if more were ready, willing and able to travel outside of their comfort zone, their local culture..ect.. Education, disposable income, free time, good health, access to inexpensive flights from the larger cities sure help make it easier to wind through the maze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel