Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 07:03 AM

28 posts, read 38,898 times

Advertisements

I'm just glad to see so many people interested/tkg. about another important aspect of intergrating America. After all, our diversity; our DIFFERENTNESS from each other, are the jewels in our crown. We don't all have to look, sound , and think alike to come together, and stay together, and do great things. Personally, I feel that vaca ads also need to become more diverse. They are still geared toward white, mixed, or very light-skinned, curly haired AA's. Although being over 50, I'm happy to see as many minorities in ads as I do now,-- Travel ads are still too narrow-minded. It's psychology too, you know. Show more travel commercials with darker-skinned AA's, Hispanics, Asians, Indians, Caucasians, etc., and they just may come! Sometimes I wonder if that may be why vaca spots DON'T have their ad people target more minorities!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 PM

134 posts, read 286,412 times
Well I am a black female looking to travel outside of the country for the first time this year. Any suggestions on where to go for the "first" trip outside of the country? I was thinking London and Paris or is the caribbean better? Any info on tourist groups will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Why should the fact you don't see your own race featured in travel ads even matter? You know they don't select people for those ads to be representative. Think blacks are being ignored, try ugly people, or fat people. Yet I see plenty of fat uglies going on holiday .

Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled1 View Post
Well I am a black female looking to travel outside of the country for the first time this year. Any suggestions on where to go for the "first" trip outside of the country? I was thinking London and Paris or is the caribbean better? Any info on tourist groups will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Anywhere!
My first trip outside of the country (unless you include road trips from Syracuse to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls as a child...lol) was to Italy.
I hate tour groups, but if you're nervous and are going it alone for the first time, you could try going with a tour.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
If African Americans buy the best vehicle they can afford maybe they prefer the comfort compared to flying. Perhaps they are more sensitive to the intrusion of airport security. And most never flew when flying was considered a pleasure.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Anywhere!
My first trip outside of the country (unless you include road trips from Syracuse to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls as a child...lol) was to Italy.
I hate tour groups, but if you're nervous and are going it alone for the first time, you could try going with a tour.
Thanks Doobage. I keep reading and hearing great things about Italy. One more question, where do you find your travel packages and deals. Saw some great package deals on hotwire. Ever used them?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
Quote:
Thanks Doobage. I keep reading and hearing great things about Italy. One more question, where do you find your travel packages and deals. Saw some great package deals on hotwire. Ever used them?
My first stop is usually to check Travelocity. For some reason that's my go-to site though I couldn't really tell you why, haha. Make sure to shop around, not just on travel sites but on airline and hotel sites too. When I went to Seoul I booked my flight directly from United Airlines' website.
Book as early as you can because rates are always changing. Out of curiosity, I checked the prices on those Seoul tickets a month after purchasing them. I kid you not—the same seats were $500 more!
Also another tip: it's not always the case, but sometimes you can get a better rate by booking on "odd" days of the week like Tuesday or Wednesday instead of Fridays or the weekends. Hope that helps!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Quote:
I used to work for British Airways Tours a couple of decades ago. It was amazing that we could put together incredible tours for people (hotel/car rental/shows/attractions/etc.) for almost the same price as it would cost someone purchasing only a ticket.

The good part was that no mistakes are made and you are covered if there are any problems. For a first time European traveler, there are certain things that you don't know and they can end up being costly mistakes. Just a taxi ride from an airport not planned in advance can cost you a bundle in Europe.

I'm not sure how the prices are in comparison to the variety of discount online booking sites, but it is certainly worth checking out and knowing every small detail will be gone over with you...so you don't have any regrets later.

Flight deals and special offers - British Airways

They do have a special to Italy at this time, but if you plan to travel in the far future, you could bookmark the site and keep an eye on the special deals as they come along.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I'm not sure if the thread was only referring to European travel, but here in Orlando, FL...we have LOTS of African American tourists.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I used to work for British Airways Tours a couple of decades ago. It was amazing that we could put together incredible tours for people (hotel/car rental/shows/attractions/etc.) for almost the same price as it would cost someone purchasing only a ticket.

The good part was that no mistakes are made and you are covered if there are any problems. For a first time European traveler, there are certain things that you don't know and they can end up being costly mistakes. Just a taxi ride from an airport not planned in advance can cost you a bundle in Europe.

I'm not sure how the prices are in comparison to the variety of discount online booking sites, but it is certainly worth checking out and knowing every small detail will be gone over with you...so you don't have any regrets later.

Flight deals and special offers - British Airways

They do have a special to Italy at this time, but if you plan to travel in the far future, you could bookmark the site and keep an eye on the special deals as they come along.
Thanks Glory! This is great info and what I was looking for. I will look into British airway tours. Ever heard of Gate1 travel? They have an 8 day Paris/London special for $1099 right now. This price includes air + land.

Are the tours worth buying in advance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel