Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:24 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Why is (Black) in parentheses? In case we thought African Americans were some other "color"?
I don't know, you'd be surprised. I've heard white South Africans and Arab Africans call themselves "African Americans" as they are "from Africa," which completely is contrary to what the term was intended to mean.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:56 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Why is (Black) in parentheses? In case we thought African Americans were some other "color"?
Charlize Theron is an African American but most people would not consider her one

Old 01-14-2015, 02:40 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't know, you'd be surprised. I've heard white South Africans and Arab Africans call themselves "African Americans" as they are "from Africa," which completely is contrary to what the term was intended to mean.
Yeah that's a valid point. I think most people instantly think 'black' when they hear 'african american', but I suppose there could be confusion. I was just curious anyways. The title is fine.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have only heard that reference in jest. South Africans typically refer to themselves as South Africans. American Arabs of any extraction typically refer to themselves as Arab-Americans.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:11 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I have only heard that reference in jest. South Africans typically refer to themselves as South Africans. American Arabs of any extraction typically refer to themselves as Arab-Americans.
I've heard the reference in jest and with people being very serious, to the point where people who are not black, but who are Africans living in America, will list themselves as African Americans on official documents (note, Im not claiming that most non-black Africans I've come across do this...in fact it's far from most). And I've had white South Africans, etc., get upset with me for calling them out about referring to themselves as African Americans. Note, the term African American isn't even supposed to apply to black recent African immigrants to the United States, but I hear them use that term at times also (they're more likely to refer to themselves by their country of origin, i.e. "Nigerian" or "Ghanaian," but there are a sizable minority that call themselves AA).

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 PM

200 posts, read 279,084 times
hey thanks lol

Old 12-17-2015, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 699 times
Its all relative, blacks travel to the same locations; beaches, amusement parks mostly on the East Coast and the south. Many travel within their states as well. States like GA, SC, NC, Texas, MD, VA, MI, IL, District of Columbia. Don't be fooled blacks and black organizations spend millions. The CIAA makes millions in one weekend. Black people travel and spend money on travel.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:31 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,797,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albry View Post
Its all relative, blacks travel to the same locations; beaches, amusement parks mostly on the East Coast and the south. Many travel within their states as well. States like GA, SC, NC, Texas, MD, VA, MI, IL, District of Columbia. Don't be fooled blacks and black organizations spend millions. The CIAA makes millions in one weekend. Black people travel and spend money on travel.
I think the members of the Nomadness travel group would disagree with that. It is a travel group with over 11,000 members where the entry requirement is having a passport with at least one stamp. The group plans trips and they are usually to places that are off the traditional path especially for Americans, for example they have taken trips to India, Samoa and Indonesia. In addition group members will plan their group trips that aren't as formally structured, but they are to places like Morocco and Iceland

Old 12-18-2015, 08:06 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albry View Post
I ran into a black woman I worked with who retired earlier this year. They went to Japan to visit her husband's daughter who is in the military and then took trips to Seoul and Hong Kong while they were there. She loved it and said travel was their retirement plan.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:56 AM

769 posts, read 830,758 times
I didn't read the whole thread, but if it hasnt been said, I will say it. Black people, by and large are more poor and have less disposable income, so they cant afford to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel