Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:43 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times

Advertisements

Hey, has anyone ever found a good deal to fly into Shanghai (PVG) from the U.S.? Any good websites to consider besides the obvious such as Orbitz, Expedia, etc?

I appreciate any advice you can give me as I need to book a ticket quite soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 PM

124 posts, read 509,431 times
I always use Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare & Discount Travel Deals - Kayak.com for my initial search for flights, it pulls different prices from many websites. I use kayak to see what carriers fly the route I want and then spend a while trying numerous sites. It tends to be time consuming but it is worth it in the long run!

Not sure where you live but try different airports for departure and different dates if you are flexible. It is amazing how just by changing a day can really affect the price.

Other sites to consider:-

vayama - international travel solved | homepage
Cheap Flights, Cheap Hotels, Cheap Airfare, Airline Tickets, Travel Deals - SideStep
Travel Deals: Airfare, Vacations, Cruises, and More | Travelzoo
Air Gorilla - cheap airline tickets, travel and discount airfare

If you are flexible maybe try bidding on flights via Cheap Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars -- Discount Airfare | Priceline.com

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Thanks for the reply. I'm very curious about this "bidding" process on Priceline. Just how negotiable is it? Have you used this function before? And if you sign up and include your credit card does it work like a real auction and you'll be forced to buy the ticket?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:41 AM

124 posts, read 509,431 times
I have used priceline many times for bidding on hotels but never for flights. I presume flights would be somewhat similar to hotel booking. When booking a hotel you choose the area and rating you wish and then place a bid.

We have managed to get $200 rooms for $45 - I love priceline!

I think you have to be flexible with priceline and we normally have tight dates when we travel which is why we have not used them for flights.

There is definite strategy to bidding, there are a few websites that try to make the bidding process easier.

Priceline bidding tips for priceline hotels, airfares & car rentals. How to use priceline.com
Priceline and Hotwire Forum
BiddingForTravel.com - The informed Priceline Travel Bidding Forum

This website seems to explain the bidding process in good detail: -

Bid on Airline Tickets - Priceline Airfare Savings & Bidding Strategies

I also found this info on the bidding methodology for airfare: -

Priceline Airfare RE-Bidding - Priceline and Hotwire Forum

If you use Priceline -let me know how it goes!

Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I'd take an American airline over any Asian airline, even if they are more expensive.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
To the OP:

Try wego.com

They are consistently cheaper than kayak and they're really good for non-us-originating flights. The real trick, though, is to pick the flight you want (write down the number, dates, locations), usually the cheapest one on wego or whatever search engine you use, then go directly to the airlines home page and book through them. This often saves you between USD 40 and USD 200 per ticket. Sometimes it is more expensive to go through the airlines website, but usually you can get at least a modest savings, especially on asian airlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'd take an American airline over any Asian airline, even if they are more expensive.
As a frequent international traveller to both Europe and Asia, I recommend the exact opposite of this gentleman's suggestion. With the exception of asian budget carriers vs. American luxury carriers (and the associated price difference) every American-based airline I have flown on has had far inferior service to their asian counterparts. Even, surprisingly, in the case of Air India.

US airline fleets are aging and their high labor costs mean they can't afford the same sort of upkeep that asian airlines can, and it shows. Fly trans-pacific on an asian carrier and you are almost garanteed personal seatback entertainment with your choice of movies and games, free alcohol (beer and wine), and the services of a fully-staffed attentive aircrew. American airlines are more hit-and-miss. You might find yourself on an aging 747 squinting to see the distant movie screens playing whatever happens to be on that route and having to deal with a harried and understaffed aircrew.

I can't say about maintenence, but if they can't afford to upgrade their cabins or properly staff their crews one wonders about the engines and airframe inspections.

The best of the best asian airlines, IMO, are (from best to good):
JAL
Eva
Malaysian Airlines
ANA
China Airlines

Old 05-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Asian airlines certainly are superior in service but they hire pilots with a fraction of the experience of American crews.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times
Quote:
Asian airlines certainly are superior in service but they hire pilots with a fraction of the experience of American crews.
Nice generalization. I wonder why there is always 5+ Asian airlines in Top10 of world best airlines and there is always exactly a zero US carriers in such list.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:27 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
Yes, and we've all read the news stories about American crews experienced enough that they decided they could pilot an aircraft filled with 200+ passengers better after having a few stiff drinks.

You may or may not be flying with a more experienced crew on a US airline. I would check the statistics collected by actual experts before actually believing this.

Every trans-Pacific asian airline I've ever flown on was piloted by either an American, Austrailian, or British pilot. I would venture a guess that these are ex-military pilots with the most experience of that airline's pilots as they are flying the carrier's best planes on it's most crowded and most profitable routes.

Keep in mind, I am only opining based on my own experiences.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
Nice generalization. I wonder why there is always 5+ Asian airlines in Top10 of world best airlines and there is always exactly a zero US carriers in such list.
Because those rankings are for cabin service...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel