Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times

Advertisements

Home Airports:

Sacramento-small airport, but offers many choices (East Coast, Mexico, Hawaii). Sac is expanding its airport, and when its all finish in 2011, it could be one of the nicest terminals in the country.

San Francisco- Huge airport, offers many amentites, and the gateway to the Pacific and Asia. It's a 20 minute BART ride from my house. I've never had problems at SFO, other than some delays.

my other favorites are:

JFK- a hop on a "A" train from Manhattan is a long,long ride, but leaves right at the terminal.
LGA- closer to manhattan
DFW- Huge airport, and it feels like a mall.
Sea-tac-

Least Favorite:
Long Beach- tiny airport, long delays, no concourse, no shopping. It is a dump.
LGA- other than being close proximity to Manhattan, this place feels old and inadequate.

So-So:
Washington Dulles- Nice airport, but it is freaken way out there. It's a 45 minute ride into DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
I love Sky Harbor (Phoenix). I've never had a delayed flight and the lines to security have always been short and efficient. I'm partial, too, though...

Second place is Redmond/Bend, OR (RDM). It's so beautiful there. They've been offering commercial flights for a few years but the runway and airport is so rural and small. The lines may be long there, but it's a quick process. I love to look at the window as we land because I always thing we're going to crash or run off the runway

Third, Denver. It's a HUGE airport, but I love the trains. I know a lot airports have the train, but Devner's is more fun. Most of my layovers are there...and there is an abundance of outlets so I can plug in my laptop.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
My favorite is ATL. It is very easy to navigate and is home of my favorite airline, Delta.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
My favorite is ATL. It is very easy to navigate and is home of my favorite airline, Delta.
Oh My, (I hope you are kidding ) You must also like Coca Cola Products

Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oh My, (I hope you are kidding ) You must also like Coca Cola Products
No, I am not. ATL is a great airport to connect. It is a much better laid out airport than most other major hubs (such as ORD, DFW, and IAH).

Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
No, I am not. ATL is a great airport to connect. It is a much better laid out airport than most other major hubs (such as ORD, DFW, and IAH).

It's even better when it's your home airport. And the trains to the city can't be beat.

If the Atlanta Airport was as bad as some would have you believe, it's pretty interesting that almost all new major Airports worldwide loosely base their designs on it (including Denver)!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
It's laid out pretty well, but they lack moving sidewalks at each terminal, and there is a slowness and ineptitude in that place. I have not found it to be a great place to either connect or fly in and out of. At best, it's been OK, but at worst it's been a travel nightmare.

It's big, it's busy, many workers are slow (like the pace of that city), and there's nothing special about that airport.

Plus, it's the hub of Delta, which I strongly dislike.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It's even better when it's your home airport. And the trains to the city can't be beat.

If the Atlanta Airport was as bad as some would have you believe, it's pretty interesting that almost all new major Airports worldwide loosely base their designs on it (including Denver)!
Actually my home airport is ABQ. But comparing ABQ to ATL isn't a fair comparison at all. And you are right that DEN copied ATL's design. They even use the same type of automated people mover (Bombardier CX-100).

Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Why are you under the impression that MARTA running from the Atlanta airport is so special or unique? It's not. JFK has the "train to the plane" subway line, Newark has the AirTrain linking to a major travel hub minutes away in Newark's Penn Station, and from there another 15 minutes into Midtown Manhattan. SFO has BART running from the airport to SF and other parts of the Bay area. I don't understand why you tout MARTA as if it's unique in running to an airport.

And, to be quite honest, taking a subway train to an airport is not such an enticing option. What good is it anyway when someone has a 6 or 7 AM flight? I almost always schedule the earliest flight possible. From NYC I do have actual 24 hour transportation to the airport, but MARTA doesn't start running till 5 AM, so it's useless if your flight is before 7:30.

Besides, it's not the most comfortable feeling in the world to lug around your bags on a train where THIS stuff goes on:

YouTube - ATL Hoodrat aka SOULJA GIRL goes crazy on the Marta!

Honestly, I have not seen something that crazy even on the NYC subways in decades. I would not want to be sitting there with luggage while the crack-infused hoodrats throw their tantrums. I wouldn't even want to carry my laptop on a train like this, I'd probably get robbed.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Wow. Thanks for absolutely ruining a perfectly good thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel