Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yep;they are all doing it. Pretty soon you will see it in adjusted dollars as costly to fly as it was in the 50-60's.Then it was too high for middle class people to fly routinely.
true and I would like to know their reasonings seeing as how the economy is so bad. Looks like they would want to make it affordable to the middle class. They are all greedy bastards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
true and I would like to know their reasonings seeing as how the economy is so bad. Looks like they would want to make it affordable to the middle class. They are all greedy bastards.

Alaska's profit margin is 3.45%. So on that $400 you just spent bringing you from A to B, they made $14 off you.

Yep, they sure are greedy.

The US Government makes more money off the airlines than the airlines themselves ever will.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
The reasoning behind all of this is that the economy is bad, and they need to pay their bills. Do you expect them to post billion dollar losses every quarter, and not try to do something about it?

It's simply amazing how many people out there are always expecting something for free.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Has the price of airline tickets really gone up? In 1987 a really good 21 day advance purchase supersaver round trip ticket between Anchorage and Seattle was almost $600. That same ticket today is under $500. By the time you add in all the extras such as checked bags and buying some food on the flight, it works out to about $600. Sure, along the way there have been specials. I have seen airfares for under $200. However those specials contributed to airlines pulling out of the Alaska market or failing altogether.
I definitely know it has has up where we live.

In Feb we went from stl to ric for $199- now to book it out to mid Oct it is $295

Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
The new policy basically at airlines is you pay for what you use. Airline tickets are generally much cheaper these days. Compare a transcontinental flight today to one in 1992 and you will see it is much more affordable now.

For example:
The airline could charge $450 for a Los Angeles-New York City flight and give you food, checked bags, hot towel, blanket, and more.
OR
The airline could charge $350 for the flight and the people that need to use these things pay extra to use or have them. Many people are fine being on a five hour flight for example without food and many people don't want gross airplane food anyways. If food is important to YOU, YOU pay extra, not everybody on the plane. Many passengers don't need to check bags and bring carry on size luggage only. Why should checked luggage be built into the price of their ticket as well???? If YOU need to check luggage, YOU pay extra.

This is just the new policy. Americans wanted the cheapest ticket possible and the airlines have given it to them. You could have less service for less money or more service for more money. Americans seems to want the cheapest ticket.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The reasoning behind all of this is that the economy is bad, and they need to pay their bills. Do you expect them to post billion dollar losses every quarter, and not try to do something about it?

It's simply amazing how many people out there are always expecting something for free.
I certainly DO expect my luggage to be put on the plane at NO charge. If you don't agree-we just disagree.

I need to pay my bills too.....BTW

Old 08-22-2009, 12:11 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Alaska Airlines / Horizon Air - Baggage Service Guarantee

If they don't bring your bags within 25 minutes, you get a $25 discount code for your next trip or 2500 miles.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
The new policy basically at airlines is you pay for what you use. Airline tickets are generally much cheaper these days. Compare a transcontinental flight today to one in 1992 and you will see it is much more affordable now.

For example:
The airline could charge $450 for a Los Angeles-New York City flight and give you food, checked bags, hot towel, blanket, and more.
OR
The airline could charge $350 for the flight and the people that need to use these things pay extra to use or have them. Many people are fine being on a five hour flight for example without food and many people don't want gross airplane food anyways. If food is important to YOU, YOU pay extra, not everybody on the plane. Many passengers don't need to check bags and bring carry on size luggage only. Why should checked luggage be built into the price of their ticket as well???? If YOU need to check luggage, YOU pay extra.

This is just the new policy. Americans wanted the cheapest ticket possible and the airlines have given it to them. You could have less service for less money or more service for more money. Americans seems to want the cheapest ticket.
I bring my own food and drink and don't want any of their crappy stuff. What they are doing with this new policy is encouraging all the fools to bring on board every piece of luggage they can and DO bring on. I've never been one to do that but they are forcing me to become one of "those" people.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Alaska Airlines / Horizon Air - Baggage Service Guarantee

If they don't bring your bags within 25 minutes, you get a $25 discount code for your next trip or 2500 miles.
LOL--for those who want to or have to fly AA again--that's ok. Lucky me--this is my last flight with them

Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is always possible to avoid traveling on airlines that charge checked baggage fees (which is now standard practice on most US airlines) as sometimes you need to fly to a destination that isn't served by airline that doesn't have checked baggage fees.
As for the European airline (which I believe is Ryanair) which wants to charge to use the restroom (which is crazy) is one that flies short distances (average flying time is around an hour or so I have been told).
I recently travelled on Ryan Air to France and was ticked off because my hand luggage was 2lbs over weight ...unreal, airlines are getting very greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel