Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,729,878 times

Advertisements

My dad's personal goal (recently achieved) was to hit all four corners of the U.S.:

SE - Point Udall, St. Croix
NE - somewhere in Maine, we drove as far as we could to the West Quoddy Lighthouse (East Quoddy is in Canada, we saw that one too)
NW - Cape Flannery, WA (amazing, also go to the Quinalt Lodge if you're there)
SW - somewhere near San Diego and the border
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,253,241 times
juniper - that's definitely pretty cool, but i'm just thrown off by st croix ... the other 3 seem to be the main 48

now if it was a good excuse to get to the USVI that's fair enough, but it does raise questions about other states like Alaska and Hawaii and other territories like Guam

Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,222,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03 View Post
My wife & I will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary next May and are starting to think about places to go. What would be everyones top 10 places to visit in the US?

I was thinking maybe northern CA via HWY 101 on through the Redwoods National Park up through Oregon and maybe even onto Seattle if we could do all of it in 5-6 days? She's more into warm weather, beaches, & exploring cities while I'm more of an outdoorsman enjoy traveling to National Parks for some light hiking, scenic drives, etc. Places that we could get a good mix would be perfect!
I have done this trip (well, not all the way to Seattle) and it is great. You will get to experience some of the best urban areas in the country along with some of the best natural beauty. You will not be disappointed with the views driving along 101 - they are amazing! I think this is about the best road trip a person can take in the United States. You should know that the beaches up there are nice for scenery, but are cool from the cold ocean water. So don't expect a typical fun in the sun beach experience.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,816,679 times
My top US destinations (no particular order)
1. Washington DC
2.New York City
3.Drive Pacific Coast Highway
4.Drive to Key West
5.Yellowstone National park
6.Sedona

Old 11-19-2009, 07:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Las Vegas would be number one for me.

Key West, Coastal Texas (Mustang Island), Wisconsin Dells, Fishtown, Michigan, Mackinac Island, Charleston, SC would all be good too, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-19-2009, 08:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,135,502 times
I've seen most every place mentioned so far and my advice would be to go with your first instinct and see the PCH & Redwoods north of SF but don't miss heading a bit east for the most stunning location in the Lower-48, Yosemite...

(from Wikipedia)

Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,028,773 times
My top Destinations would be.
1. Alaska! Nothing in the US is better or more amazing!
2. Washington DC
3. LA/San Deigo
4. Miami with a visit to Key West and the Everglades
5. New York City
6. Boston
7. Yellowstone
8. San Francisco/NOCAL
9. New England, Maine, Vermont
10. Las Vegas

Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,560,452 times
There are a few cities which are so unique that they have to be seen at least once:

New York City
Washington, DC
New Orleans
Las Vegas
San Francisco
Santa Fe

For natural beauty, I'd recommend:

The Redwood country
The Outer Banks of NC
Yosemite
Yellowstone
Grand Canyon
Texas Hill Country
Northern New Mexico
Big Sur
Mojave Desert

But, overall, I think your suggestion of going north out of SF is a good one. US-101 is a good road and passes through very beautiful country. However, CA-1, the Pacific Coast Highway, is even more remarkable, but not much of a road in many places, especially around Ft. Bragg. It's worth the trip, though. You can pick it up at the northern end of the Golden Gate and it rejoins 101 at Legget.

By the way, PCH passes through Bodega Bay, where "The Birds" was filmed. It's a great little place.

Last edited by stillkit; 11-20-2009 at 03:54 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,729,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
juniper - that's definitely pretty cool, but i'm just thrown off by st croix ... the other 3 seem to be the main 48

now if it was a good excuse to get to the USVI that's fair enough, but it does raise questions about other states like Alaska and Hawaii and other territories like Guam
Ok, Miami or the Keys, they've been there too. Alaska is the dream, though. We actually went to St. Croix to visit relatives for New Year's 2000, so that was the primary excuse. It does market itself as the easternmost point in the US, which is why we counted it:

Point Udall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (apparently there's another one in Guam??)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_U...Virgin_Islands)

To be fair, we didn't hit North, South, or West points, just NW, SW, NE, SE (and E if you count St. Croix again).

Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,253,241 times
cool - wasn't trying to be critical, just curious .... i know some people get really into this type of thing ..... there are some people who travel to find the highest point in any given area, not for me but can be pretty neat reading their tales

Stillkit - Bodega Bay was pretty nice, we actually spent a night there (spent 2 nights in Sonoma and then a night in Bodega Bay, went north up to the redwoods, hit a spa in between the two places and then drove down the PCH into the city)

With that said, sleeping there wasn't the best experience with the foghorn blowing with much frequency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel