Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM

204 posts, read 875,448 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I hope this is in the right forum but I was needing some advice on a destination for a weekend getaway. I live in NC and would like to find somewhere to go within a reasonable driving distance (5-8 hrs maybe). Some quick background info on the situation: To make a long story very short, I've been with a girl for almost 3 years; we're technically broken up but are rekindling things. I have the bright idea to plan a getaway for the weekend that should be our 3 year anniversary. It would just be a Fri-Sun stay but I'd like somewhere with some fun stuff to do. We've done the cabins in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and several beach trips so I'd like something different. An area fun but also romantic would be great. Right now the best I'm coming up with is Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. Any other suggestions or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
Charleston and Savannah are both lovely and very romantic. Savannah especially.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Savannah would be an awfully long drive just for a weekend. I'd go with Charleston since you're in NC.

Another idea might be something like this resort: Chateau Elan :: North Atlanta Hotel, Winery, Golf, Spa. Premier Meeting and Wedding Destination. in GA. Not too far from the SC line.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Savannah would be an awfully long drive just for a weekend. I'd go with Charleston since you're in NC.

Another idea might be something like this resort: Chateau Elan :: North Atlanta Hotel, Winery, Golf, Spa. Premier Meeting and Wedding Destination. in GA. Not too far from the SC line.
Honestly Mattie, Savannah is only maybe 45 minutes or so further of a drive than Charleston. From the I-95/I-26 interchange, Savannah is a little under 100 miles while Charleston is about 55 miles.

That said, I'd still go w/Charleston, more to do downtown, shopping is better, and just more to do in general. Both places are nice, but Charleston offers just a bit more IMO.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Honestly Mattie, Savannah is only maybe 45 minutes or so further of a drive than Charleston. From the I-95/I-26 interchange, Savannah is a little under 100 miles while Charleston is about 55 miles.

That said, I'd still go w/Charleston, more to do downtown, shopping is better, and just more to do in general. Both places are nice, but Charleston offers just a bit more IMO.
Yeah I had done a quick google maps directions to each and there was only like a 50 min difference. Both destinations are around 5 hours from where I am which isn't terrible. We always go to Myrtle Beach and it's a little over 4 hours away so I don't think another hour-hour and a half will hurt. However I was kind of getting the same impression about Charleston having a little bit more to offer than Savannah. I've begun to look at hotels there because if it comes down to those two I will probably pick Charleston. I had also thought about a nice winery or something but they can sometimes get pretty pricey.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
8 hours is a pretty long drive for a weekend getaway, I'd cut down your max driving distance. Even if you're going for the upcoming Memorial day weekend so you get an extra day, you'd spend most of the day Saturday driving and after arriving, you'd probably be so tired from driving, you wouldn't want to do anything (if anything site seeing locations are even still open). And then you'd have to leave pretty early on monday to get home at a reasonable time - so you'd really only have one day at your destination. For a weekend, my max drive time is more like 4-5 hours.

Have you exhausted options in your own state? I love the Outer Banks. NC countryside is supposed to be really nice too. I'd love to find a quaint little NC town and stay in a B&B. Like I say, maybe you've already done that kind thing or even live in the country yourself. I love history so I would find this interesting: NC Historic Sites

How far are you from Washington, DC?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
8 hours is a pretty long drive for a weekend getaway, I'd cut down your max driving distance. Even if you're going for the upcoming Memorial day weekend so you get an extra day, you'd spend most of the day Saturday driving and after arriving, you'd probably be so tired from driving, you wouldn't want to do anything (if anything site seeing locations are even still open). And then you'd have to leave pretty early on monday to get home at a reasonable time - so you'd really only have one day at your destination. For a weekend, my max drive time is more like 4-5 hours.

Have you exhausted options in your own state? I love the Outer Banks. NC countryside is supposed to be really nice too. I'd love to find a quaint little NC town and stay in a B&B. Like I say, maybe you've already done that kind thing or even live in the country yourself. I love history so I would find this interesting: NC Historic Sites

How far are you from Washington, DC?
True 8 hours is probably too far so I'm really looking at around 5 hours ideally. We are actually from a quaint little town in NC so I dunno about that option lol but I had thought about the Outer Banks as neither of us have ever been there. We have taken several trips to Myrtle Beach though so I'm not sure about another beach destination unless there was some interesting things to do there. Washington, DC has also crossed my mind as it is 5-6 hours from us. I've been there twice but she has never been.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
My vote is for Savannah. It really is very romantic. I hope to go back there some day.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
If she has never been the DC she might enjoy all there is to see. If you're from a small town DC can be very exciting. If you are considering Memorial Day weekend, Sunday is Rolling Thunder, where you can count on >200,000 motorcycles shutting down the town in support of our military. Something definitely to see.

On the other hand, the Outer Banks would be nice, more romantic, and you could have a moonlight picnic.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:49 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Charleston and Savannah are both lovely and very romantic. Savannah especially.
From NC those are the first two places I thought of too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel