Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM

218 posts, read 721,016 times

Advertisements

Kid these days are committing crimes at a younger age all the time. Adult Crime should equal Adult Time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I agree with core17 - however I am very very uncomfortable with the idea of youthful offenders getting out with no further supervision. Yes we are learning about the adolescent brain and that executive functions are not fully intact until age 25.
Yet most teens and young adults are not murderers.Something else is clearly at work.
Does make you wonder if they should be driving cars.though....

Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM

194 posts, read 464,015 times
If anybody has a chace to get rehabilitated it would be a 12 year old. It would be wrong to keep this kid locked up for his whole life, 12 is very young. Whether or not, this kid ever amounts to anything more than a criminal remains to be seen. Unfortunately with the overcrowding and overall ineffeciency of our prison system, his chances are slim! But, it would be wrong to keep this kid lcoked away forever for something he did before he was even a teen! We have full grown men with criminal records who end up serving less than eight years for murder, so this kid's sentence isn't all that lenient in comparison. If the kid decides to break the law when he gets out, then yeah life! But a 12 year old should get a second chance at a life, because I'm sure the first 12 years were'nt much of one to begin with!1

Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
they dont. they are doomed. Here in Florida, we try 15 year olds as adults and sentence them to LWOP. If by some chance they do get out, they have no life left to live. I am not a bleeding heart liberal but these kids need the chances and support before they get into the prison system. A lot of these kids are on the streets by the time they are 10 years old, trying to survive or living with Mom and her abusive boyfriend.....
Like that 13 year old in Florida that they let out with a second chance and he just goes on with his life of crime? I'm not going to look for it on google but feel free to..

Some people are just flat out mean and you cannot change them, yes even at 13!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
I think at age 13, a sentence of approximately eight years for a homicide may be unrealistic. Eight years is a long time for someone in this age group. I can accept an eight year sentence for this offender for this crime because I do not believe in either of the following:

1. "Eye for an eye" as outlined in the Old Testament. As strained as our modern society is I think we do a little better than some people think. This was written before prisons existed.

2. I believe at age 13, you can turn someone around. This even includes someone who commits a homicide.

Look guys, one thing I get tired of because I hear it over and over again in these forums that discuss criminal justice is that the solution for every offender is either a life sentence or the death penalty. Its not very creative and there isn't much point in even having these discussions if its always the same answer.

No one really wants to talk about the cost of keeping all these offenders in jail to satisfy someone's sense of justice. I tell you there are times when I think the people who think we ought to keep everyone of these people in jail forever ought to pay the cost of incarceration. The rest of us who are willing to accept some type of supervised release and structured parole ought to get a little tax break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime