Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times

Advertisements

Lovette is facing another first-degree murder trial. He was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the Jan. 18, 2008 shooting death of Abhijit Mahato hours after his arrest in the Eve Carson case.

Mahato, 29, a doctoral student at Duke University, was found shot to death inside his apartment a few blocks from Duke's campus.

Suspect Indicted in Duke Grad Student's Death :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 08:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
THe appeal is already in motion--on the grounds the jury was prejudiced by Atwater's testimony.

SOmetimes the evidence is greater than the player...

Old 12-22-2011, 10:00 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Moderator, pls edit my comment and instead of the asterisks, put "creep" which is not even close to being a strong enough label for this criminal. I never dreamed anyone would assume the asterisks were meant to cover a racial slur. In no way do I want to feed any notion of racism by my comment, even by others' false assumption Or delete my post altogether.
This was assumed because there were six (6) asterisks and six asterisks are usually meant to cover up a six letter word. Given that the defendants in this case are African-American, it doesn't take a rocket scientists to assume or conclude which word was being blanked out.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Let's focus on this beautiful young woman, full of promise, no longer with her family. Sad, pointless, random crime.

Why would these young men get a gun, kidnap this girl, and think this was a good idea? Why? How did they get a gun? Did they commit other crimes prior to this?

Life in prison at age 17. That is sad. A life of promise. How could these things be predicted, and prevented? Some sort of intervention at school? Maybe these killers lives should be studied, to see any common/coorelations, and provide intervention to other young men with similar issues, before they destroy their lives, and other lives.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Let's focus on this beautiful young woman, full of promise, no longer with her family. Sad, pointless, random crime.

Why would these young men get a gun, kidnap this girl, and think this was a good idea? Why? How did they get a gun? Did they commit other crimes prior to this?

Life in prison at age 17. That is sad. A life of promise. How could these things be predicted, and prevented? Some sort of intervention at school? Maybe these killers lives should be studied, to see any common/coorelations, and provide intervention to other young men with similar issues, before they destroy their lives, and other lives.
These 2 are "bad seeds" with criminal histories. They were on probation when they committed this crime. Instead of robbing her, they took pleasure in taking their time to torture her and brutally kill her. Eve suffered.

And to the bicoastal guy, you must not be a rocket scientist if you only know one six letter word. Look in the mirror, maybe it's you who has issues. And that's all I'll say on that issue.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
This was assumed because there were six (6) asterisks and six asterisks are usually meant to cover up a six letter word. Given that the defendants in this case are African-American, it doesn't take a rocket scientists to assume or conclude which word was being blanked out.
Um, I think this is the first that I've heard about the defendents race.
My first instinct would have been a word like f****r.

So much for giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
THe appeal is already in motion--on the grounds the jury was prejudiced by Atwater's testimony.

SOmetimes the evidence is greater than the player...
This would have been a great death penalty case and then let the guy plea to life no parole. Case closed, no need to drag her family through years of this garbage.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This would have been a great death penalty case and then let the guy plea to life no parole. Case closed, no need to drag her family through years of this garbage.

I actually believe there are some crimes when even the death penalty just doesn't do enough for justice. This ****** is case in point..

Old 12-23-2011, 04:45 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
According to testimony at the trial, Eve Carson asked Laurence Lovette and Demario Atwater to pray with her before they shot her five times and left her lying in the middle of the street.

The plea deal for Atwater saved him from the death penalty and gave him life in prison without parole ... due to Lovette's age the death penalty wasn't on the table. This is pure evil. Lovette has two murders under his belt and only 17 years old.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post

And to the bicoastal guy, you must not be a rocket scientist if you only know one six letter word. Look in the mirror, maybe it's you who has issues. And that's all I'll say on that issue.
Hey, I just call it like I see it. Yes, there are many six letter words, but given the crime that was committed, the race of the victim, and the race of the two defendants, there are only a couple of negative six letter words that one might feel the need to blank out; and only one seems to fit logically in this situation. Feel free to deny all you want, but don't insult my intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime