Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

A guy (a convicted felon, I might add...) tries to commit an armed robbery of a grocery store in Indiana, gets shot and killed in the process and now his mommy is suing the grocery store!

The lawyer willing to take this case should be disbarred, any judge willing to hear this case should be removed and the grocery store should be suing this woman for raising an animal.

Good Guys: 1
Bad Guy: 0

Kroger sued over suspect's fatal shooting during robbery attempt | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
If all slimy lawyers were barred how many would be left?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I agree that this is an absurdity. Hopefully the case will get thrown out of court and the plaintiffs’ lawyer uncompensated. This firm should be chastised for disarming its employees thus exposing them to great risk from armed criminals and the manager rewarded for Effective Pest Control actions. [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I can't fault the lawyer, everyone deserves council. However, her legal council should tell her it'll be a tough fight.

She is suing for 75k, which I would think is low in this kind of trial probably shows they are after a quick settlement.

But to say Kroger is at fault for not enforcing their "no firearms policy " at work, is a real legal stretch. I hope Kroger's fights.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
The enormous oversupply of lawyers in the US ensures that some lawyer somewhere is always desperate to take even the most ridiculous case, regardless of the prospects.

On the plus side, we should be grateful to live in a society where the law CAN sometimes be on the side of the average citizen vs the monied interests.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Only in America. I love this country!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
If all slimy lawyers were barred how many would be left?
This kind of post illustrates what I will call the "lawyer-hating mindset". He isn't referring to this situation. He's using an extreme situation to try and bash an entire profession.

(MOD CUT)

What will likely happen in this case is that it will never go to trial. It will likely be dismissed by the court or eventually dropped by plaintiff's counsel. Cases like these are brought by lawyers on a contingency fee arrangement. This is a simple way of saying that the lawyer doesn't get paid unless he wins. He gets a percentage of what he recovers by way of trial or settlement. Companies, rightfully so, are getting tired of people bringing claims like this against them and will ordinarily fight. Not only is the lawyer unlikely to earn a fee, he will incur out-of-pocket expenses for filing fees, deposition expenses etc. This generally is a satisfactory deterrent to keep most frivolous cases out of court.

My principal concern about cases like these is that like the "McDonald's Coffee Cup case" they get a lot of attention and people judge the system by a handful of extreme situations rather than by the thousands of cases that the system resolves without fanfare every week or month. That should be the standard by which success or failure is measured.

Last edited by jasper12; 07-30-2012 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This kind of post illustrates what I will call the "lawyer-hating mindset". He isn't referring to this situation. He's using an extreme situation to try and bash an entire profession.

I would encourage the moderator to consider this post "off topic" and remove it.

What will likely happen in this case is that it will never go to trial. It will likely be dismissed by the court or eventually dropped by plaintiff's counsel. Cases like these are brought by lawyers on a contingency fee arrangement. This is a simple way of saying that the lawyer doesn't get paid unless he wins. He gets a percentage of what he recovers by way of trial or settlement. Companies, rightfully so, are getting tired of people bringing claims like this against them and will ordinarily fight. Not only is the lawyer unlikely to earn a fee, he will incur out-of-pocket expenses for filing fees, deposition expenses etc. This generally is a satisfactory deterrent to keep most frivolous cases out of court.

My principal concern about cases like these is that like the "McDonald's Coffee Cup case" they get a lot of attention and people judge the system by a handful of extreme situations rather than by the thousands of cases that the system resolves without fanfare every week or month. That should be the standard by which success or failure is measured.
No doubt a lawyer

Old 07-27-2012, 01:47 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I would be really interested to know what sort of wording the state laws have that allow this sort of bizarro case to even make it to court.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Good Guys: 1
Bad Guy: 0
Now, I do disagree with that. The bad guy is dead, right? That's a pretty severe penalty, without due process of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime