Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times

Advertisements

Police say NJ man kept girlfriend locked in room

I read about this type of thing happening every once in a while,
and it makes me wonder how may other people are treated this way ! ! !

Police say NJ man kept girlfriend locked in room - Yahoo! News

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Police say NJ man kept girlfriend locked in room

I read about this type of thing happening every once in a while,
and it makes me wonder how may other people are treated this way ! ! !

Police say NJ man kept girlfriend locked in room - Yahoo! News

I read about this on the way to work today. Scary how someone could be enslaved like that in a private residence for years possibly.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM

115 posts, read 174,750 times
I wonder if the woman had some type of medical illness that caused her (not necessarily) to comply, but not want to escape the situation. Or whether she was accustomed to not having freedom.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:49 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I once read that, in Japan, with the voters blessing, the police are allowed to make one unannounced inspection of someone's house, once a year.

I know, I know, that invasion of privacy wouldn't sail in this country, but.....but.....but......can we at least take it into consideration, for the sake of those being kept imprisoned in houses around this country?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Even if he allowed her to go out, she could never escape, knowing that there are corrupt police who are paid off by such gangs. Wasn't the Paterson police force reorganized by the federal government years ago, because of corruption?

They should really get after these gangs under Rico laws. Just showing gang signs should be enough to pull people in.

The gangs certainly qualify as terrorists, don't they? They operate around the world, don't they?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I once read that, in Japan, with the voters blessing, the police are allowed to make one unannounced inspection of someone's house, once a year.

I know, I know, that invasion of privacy wouldn't sail in this country, but.....but.....but......can we at least take it into consideration, for the sake of those being kept imprisoned in houses around this country?
Sure. And can they inspect your teenage daughter's underwear, too? I mean, just to make sure she hasn't been raped?

Are you nuts!?!?!?

No, the problem here is family, friends, and neighbors who ignore their suspicions or are, for some reason, too afraid or apathetic to say or do the right thing.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:

Absolutely not! Why should I have my house, "inspected" once a year because a few people in this world are sick POS? I do not do criminal acts and I will not be treated like a suspect.

As was said above, friends, neighbors, family, etc should be paying a little more attention to wth is going on around them.

As for the story: That was one of the worst written articles I've seen...well, no, unfortunately, too many articles are like this anymore. Just add it to the stack of, "Horribly written articles".

As for why the lady didn't try to escape...who is to say she didn't try at one point? I'm sure the retaliation was harsh. Or he threatened her if she tried, or threatened her family, or kept her so drugged up she didn't know what day it was or where she was. I'm just disgusted that the inept reporter called her his, "girlfriend". Idiot.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 08-20-2012 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Added a word.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:

The Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures and clearly means that a home or dwelling cannot be searched unless there is a warrant issued by a judge and if that warrant is based on probable cause.

Maybe you were taking this into account when you referred to "invasion of privacy". However, the point is that its a constitutional requirement. If you want things differently, you are going to have to persuade people to ratify a constitutional amendment. Remember that requires not only a congressional vote, but ratification by 3/4's of the states.

Its simply not doable. Above and beyond that, unless you want to live in a police state, its a poor idea. I'm well aware of the cost. This kind of law would have stopped the Jaycie Duggard situation. However, we balanced those kinds of problems against liberty for our citizens when we enacted the Fourth Amendment. Liberty won out over protecting a few people.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,683,776 times
Quote:

Hellz no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime