Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I was reading NY Daily News and NY Post articles on the case, but they are so trashy. The New York Times has a much better article:

Mystery Deepens as Staten Island Woman’s Body Is Returned From Turkey
I know, that's why I don't quite buy the claim of the Turkish guy from the bar who said he had sex with her in the bar bathroom--that story appeared in the Post, that bastion of integrity in reporting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is not enough money in the world to tempt me to mess with Turkey and drug smuggling. Anyone see that movie Midnight Express (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
forget about it! Geez, anyone even thinking about drug running should watch that movie.

Hahaha, good point.

There's also a mini-series called The Bangkok Hilton with Nicole Kidman before she was really famous in the US. There's a lot to the story involving her searching for her father, but she meets a man who tricks her into carrying a bag with heroin in a hidden compartment from Goa into Thailand, and she gets caught and is put in this horrible Thai prison and sentenced to death for drug trafficking. It was pretty creepy.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,426,651 times
He may have claimed they had sex in case the police got a positive dna result from the tests they're doing on many possible suspects, himself included - if he said there was no sexual contact and the dna pointed to him, in all probability he'd be the killer - if they really did have sex and his dna was verified, it w/b more understandable imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know, that's why I don't quite buy the claim of the Turkish guy from the bar who said he had sex with her in the bar bathroom--that story appeared in the Post, that bastion of integrity in reporting.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, you are taking things out of context. Flying to Istanbul with side trips to Amsterdam and Munich costs thousands of dollars. Remember that the husband had to borrow money to fly there to look for her and then funds were raised through charity to bring her body home--yet these people, who don't appear to have regular employment, could afford to send the wife on this fancy jaunt in the first place? It doesn't add up. I didn't say you need to own a home to travel, but these people have two kids and live in an apartment--and decide to splurge on a very expensive trip to an exotic location so the wife can take pictures? And she doesn't even have a camera (took pictures with her IPad.) Yes, it COULD be on the up-and-up, and it could be just bad family financial management, but it raises questions, that's all.

I don't know how you are jumping to the Hispanic conclusion. What raised questions about the drugs is someone flying to Istanbul--leaving Istanbul to take a little side trip to Amsterdam and Munich, and then flying back to Istanbul. The locations and the leaving/coming back do raise legit questions about a potential drug trafficking trip, especially since she turned up stuffed in a cave with her head bashed in. Maybe you are just naive, but people DO get offered big money to carry drugs from one location to another. I've read stories of people who have done it--just took the risk once--maybe bringing a package up from Columbia to New York, for example, getting paid $100K, and then never doing it again.

The theory is that these people who don't seem to have a pot to pee in may have made a connection somewhere and agreed to to carry something from Point A to Point B to make some money, and it didn't go well. Maybe it's not true, but you have to be able to see that there's some merit to the theory.
What you say makes sense.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
He may have claimed they had sex in case the police got a positive dna result from the tests they're doing on many possible suspects, himself included - if he said there was no sexual contact and the dna pointed to him, in all probability he'd be the killer - if they really did have sex and his dna was verified, it w/b more understandable imo.
That is a really good point.

There's a thread on this on the NYC forum, and I posted on there that I think we are not going to hear too much about this for the next couple of days. They've flown her body back for the funeral, and the wake and funeral will take place this week. If this was a drug courier story that went bad, the husband definitely knew about it (remember, the guy in Amsterdam where she stayed for her two days there or whatever is supposedly the husband's "friend", too--but it doesn't sound as if either the husband or wife ever actually met the man in person before.) If the FBI has evidence, I'm thinking they will likely wait until after the funeral for the sake of those kids and the woman's parents, who will be raising the kids if Dad gets charged with playing a part. I guess we'll see.

Again, this is just all theoretical on my part. I don't have any additional information, but I do watch the ID Channel a lot!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
It gets weirder-

"Don't cheat... if you are not happy then just leave": Anguished instagram messages of Sarai's husband weeks before she was killed in Turkey

Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM

They only sound particularly "anguished" if you are told they are "anguished". They are just basic statements that can be applied to general situations. The question is: Was this unusual for him to be saying these types of things on a social networking site? It doesn't say he is addressing them to his wife. They were supposed to be Pentecostals--maybe he is preaching.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 AM

Just read on websleuths, where a Turkish guy in Istanbul posts, that the main suspect is now a 46-year-old "garbage man", which sounds like a homeless person who digs through garbage to get recyclables to sell, who may have mugged SS and then tried to rape her and killed her in the process.

In which case it's a random killing and we are all off base!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Groups offer little protection contrary to popular belief. It's better to stay in safe areas whether in groups or not.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
I think so too. He probably sent her or convinced her to do the drug thing. I highly doubt he is gainfully employed too. I guess we will have to wait for the investigation to end.
The husband's a bus driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime