Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times

Advertisements

Florida hit by "tsunami" of tax identity fraud

If they don't do something to change the system,
there will not be any money left to keep the country running ! ! !

Florida hit by "tsunami" of tax identity fraud - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Default "Tsunami of Tax Identity Fraud".....

Florida hit by "tsunami" of tax identity fraud - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
While the IRS says it has detected cases in every state except North Dakota and West Virginia, the fraud's epicenter is Florida, and it is mostly concentrated in Miami and Tampa.
I am guessing another perk for "certain" transplants who cannot "make it" in "paradise"?

Unreal...

Old 02-17-2013, 02:01 PM

158 posts, read 227,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Florida hit by "tsunami" of tax identity fraud - Yahoo! Finance

I am guessing another perk for "certain" transplants who cannot "make it" in "paradise"?

Unreal...
At least it is white collar crime?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpajr View Post
That is exactly the problem. The punishment for this type of crime should be stif to discourage these people. If some kids carry in his poket a drug, he could be in jail for a long time. This kid didn't even affect anybody yet. These criminals holding identities of other people should also be sent to prison for years....even before stealing

Unfortunately, it is becoming a risk/reward kind of thing for the cons. You can easily steal thousands of money without a gun and get away with slap in the rist.

The only way people can do is minimize the likelihood of their identity being stolen, which is not easy task.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
"At least it is white collar crime?"

"Bruce Parton was only a few weeks from retirement after 30 years as a mail carrier in sunny Florida.

he was gunned down on his daily mail route in December 2010 by members of an identity theft ring who stole his master key as part of a scheme to claim fraudulent tax refunds."

He was gunned down by a thug. I'd hardly call that "white collar crime".

Good article. There's only one way to end this sort of thing: end the income tax and end the IRS as we know it. Consumption taxes, fees, tariffs, etc. That'll do it. Simpler, easier to administrate and way safer for people, especially the average person. As usual, it's mainly law abiding, working class citizens who agonize over their tax returns, who are at risk. Your hedge fund folks, CEOs, politicians, etc. don't get victimized this way, as a general rule. I mean, no one's going to be filing for a refund under Mitt Romney's or Marco Rubio's or Stevie Cohen's name. I've mentioned this in another forum. In an increasingly globalized world, the income tax has to go the way of the dodo. There simply is no other way. It'll happen eventually, but not before there's more fraud and bloodshed and other horror. My accountant has said that TPTB won't let go of the income tax easily, because it's more about power than it is about $$. He's right. But it has become unworkable in these globalized times. The IRS can shift to a new system and when they have no other choice, they will. It's getting there fast.

Interestingly, one of the thugesses involved in this lives not far up the road from me in Riverview. She holds the dubious title of the "Queen of Tax Fraud". And I think she's only in her 20s. Livin' large. Or was.

OH, BTW, I'm not here to debate the fairness or unfairness of different systems of taxation, so don't bother to start screaming about "regressive" vs. "progressive" taxes. I'm only talking about what's more secure and workable. Beware the clerical personnal at some company or agency where you have to submit your social for a job or for medical services, etc. They have access to your sensitive records and no one gives a rat's patootie.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Lots of white & black stripe jumpsuit crime too since many prisoners seem to be in the business from behind bars..unbelievable!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"At least it is white collar crime?"

"Bruce Parton was only a few weeks from retirement after 30 years as a mail carrier in sunny Florida.

he was gunned down on his daily mail route in December 2010 by members of an identity theft ring who stole his master key as part of a scheme to claim fraudulent tax refunds."

He was gunned down by a thug. I'd hardly call that "white collar crime".

Good article. There's only one way to end this sort of thing: end the income tax and end the IRS as we know it. Consumption taxes, fees, tariffs, etc. That'll do it. Simpler, easier to administrate and way safer for people, especially the average person. As usual, it's mainly law abiding, working class citizens who agonize over their tax returns, who are at risk. Your hedge fund folks, CEOs, politicians, etc. don't get victimized this way, as a general rule. I mean, no one's going to be filing for a refund under Mitt Romney's or Marco Rubio's or Stevie Cohen's name. I've mentioned this in another forum. In an increasingly globalized world, the income tax has to go the way of the dodo. There simply is no other way. It'll happen eventually, but not before there's more fraud and bloodshed and other horror. My accountant has said that TPTB won't let go of the income tax easily, because it's more about power than it is about $$. He's right. But it has become unworkable in these globalized times. The IRS can shift to a new system and when they have no other choice, they will. It's getting there fast.

Interestingly, one of the thugesses involved in this lives not far up the road from me in Riverview. She holds the dubious title of the "Queen of Tax Fraud". And I think she's only in her 20s. Livin' large. Or was.

OH, BTW, I'm not here to debate the fairness or unfairness of different systems of taxation, so don't bother to start screaming about "regressive" vs. "progressive" taxes. I'm only talking about what's more secure and workable. Beware the clerical personnal at some company or agency where you have to submit your social for a job or for medical services, etc. They have access to your sensitive records and no one gives a rat's patootie.
Nah, that is not going to work.

Without going to the merits of the tax system you echoed, which doesn't even pass the smell taste, there is no way also to guarantee what you paid for consumption actually goes to IRS. Nada. A business can simply find a way to pocket the money. Now, if you say no tax at all, that is a different discussion.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM

"We are on the top of a national trend that is causing a hemorrhage of tax dollars," said Wifredo Ferrer, United States Attorney for south Florida. "It's a tsunami of fraud."

"For whatever reason, we always tend to lead the nation when it comes to fraud," he said, noting that his office has been battling massive Medicare fraud in recent years that has since spread to other parts of the country."

Ah, Wilfredo, lemme break it to ya: you're guy in charge. Things come from the top down. Look in the mirror.

"They were holed up in hotels with laptops churning out tax claims," said congresswoman Kathy Castor, who represents the area and is pressing the IRS to get tougher on the fraud.

'taint enuf, Castor. just keep asking "Pretty Please?", right?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Nah, that is not going to work.

Without going to the merits of the tax system you echoed, which doesn't even pass the smell taste, there is no way also to guarantee what you paid for consumption actually goes to IRS. Nada. A business can simply find a way to pocket the money. Now, if you say no tax at all, that is a different discussion.
Smell taste? Good one.

"there is no way also to guarantee what you paid for consumption actually goes to IRS."

Oh, having formerly had a small business, I can SOOOOOO assure you there is, and that it is much easier to collect from a smaller number of businesses than a larger number of taxpayers, nationwide.

"A business can simply find a way to pocket the money."

Some can, and do. Just like people find a way to cheat on taxes. But it's easier to regulate. Way easier. The system is already in place, through the states. Nothing's foolproof, for sure, but some are simpler and more foolproof than others.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Lots of white & black stripe jumpsuit crime too since many prisoners seem to be in the business from behind bars..unbelievable!

Then you have te people working in medical facilities who instead of doing their job are just waiting for a patient to return the paperwork with YOUR SSN on it, that is why I NEVER fill it out and it is never needed.

Last week I had an issue with my laptop and called the warranty department of the brand I have and it was something really easy but I didn't know how to solve it and the questions were very weird;

-Are you married?

-Do you have kids and if so how many?

-What do you do in your free time?

All this when i had to restart my comp. 4 times so when it became so weird i hang up with the friendly lady in India. But then she called back and I stated I didn't have time for all these questions and only needed my issue solved which she then did very fast by taking over control of my comp.! Stupid me, but i trusted the warranty dep. and within secondsit was solved and she told me I had to wait for the supervisor so he could ask me if I was happy with her service. I hang up since that was taking a long time and got anther call from them with a supervisor asking me how she did..

The next morning very early I got a call from abroad from a man with an accent from India asking me to verify my credit card number and I din't need to give the number he would give it. I asked which company he worked for and all he stated is your credit card company fraud dep. So i asked again which bank or credit card company and again no real answer so I told him I would call my credit card company myself and hung up. He called back immediately and stating for me not to hang up and verify my DOB which he also had correct. That was creepy ad I hung up and called the fraud dep. from BoA and all my credit cards were blocked...

The fraud dep. from my laptop brand was informed by me and they acted on it and told me how to check my comp. if it was comprimised and luckily it doesn't seem to since I also have a anti-virus on my comp. That comp. gave me an extended upgraded warranty for my comp. as a gesture due to what I had to deal with which I appreciate and for them doesn't cost much, so both parties happy.

Be very aware of where you give out your personal info and don't provide your SSN to anybody unless it is needed as for example we need it for a background check for rental properties but we tell people unless you sure you want to rent don't just give it to anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime