Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:31 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Yes. It is about protecting children. That's it. I'm not terribly worried about the rights of the parents who wish to cloister their children away from society.

I do believe in the protection of the innocent. That is true.

And homeschooling is but one way that some people who are intent on hurting children can do that with less interference. Same goes for "step parents on parade". Children have the right to he sanctity of their own homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
I find that the true home schoolers are not the problem. Those people, as a rule, really do home school their children and I know several families who have done so successfully. They only home schooled because they didn't want their children involved/exposed with some of the negatives in the public schools. They were very involved in outside social activities and their church, etc, so they were not isolated. I know several home schooled children who are now in college, on scholarships for academic excellence and, doing very well.

The problem comes in with children who are being neglected, abused, mistreated, that are suddenly pulled out of school and the authorities are told they are being homeschooled. Of course, it is a lie and a ruse. Unfortunately, for many reasons, it goes no further and the child quite often dies a horrible death. I know of many such cases.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Not giving up my 4th amendment rights to make op feel better.

This problem cannot be legislated away.

It is a cultural one. Good luck with that.

It is why I say I will NEVER leave my son no matter what my wife does or says or I would fight for full custody. I cannot imagine the horror of not knowing what kind of creeps he might be subjected to (not that my wife has poor taste - just saying).
I do not understand how people can just let their kids go live with some stranger.

I blame the boyfriend. I blame the mom and dad more for not creating a stable, loving home for these kids to live in. These tragedies are consequences downstream of a lot of bad decisions.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM

Op gets her wish...more fascism for everyone:

Cafaro supports Teddy's Law

Guilty until proven innocent!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Teddy's law should be nationwide, it could have saved Nubia. Her parents took her out of school, when there were too many questions...
Murder of Nubia Barahona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Children need to have some protection, and hope for help, if they are being abused. We can't find these kids if their families hide them from society, to abuse them.

This law, could make a difference, it could be the most important law, for some child, who has no other chance. It could have saved Teddy.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:35 PM

I don't understand.

Why do we need a law for kids leaving school under suspicious circumstances?
There already is one - teachers have a duty to report any suspicion of abuse or neglect.
Period.
It sounds like everyone knew what was happening and failed to act.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:24 PM

416 posts, read 871,635 times
This may be more-so stemming from my "good, one less person on the planet" mentality, and thus not really interested in the story itself; however, I can't get over the fact the title reads "beated to death." :|

Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
This happens everywhere and every day. I am all for background checks and child service monitoring of children when an unrelated adult enters the picture.

Male or female. married or not.
Unfortunately, this would be a big violation of liberty. While it's true step parents abuse step children, most step parents are completely the opposite and are loving and responsible parents. We all know some of the second group, but very few of us have ever known one of the first.
It would not be right to tar all the good folks with suspicion that should only be reserved for the very few.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Nothing in the Constitution gives parents the right to homeschool their children without any monitoring or interference from the state. If you believe that it does you are simply mistaken.
The constitution mentions nothing about homeschooling, this is true.

Have you ever read the 9th or 10th Amendments?

Apparently not, otherwise you wouldn't have posted such nonsense.

Allow Harrier to educate you.

The 9th Amendment: The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The 10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Those are the third and fourth most important amendments, behind only the 2nd Amendment and the 1st Amendment, respectively.

They are the bedrock of our federalist republic.

Your post = MASSIVE FAIL!!!

"

Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can't think of any reason why any parents who chose to "home school" would care about having thorough background checks for all members of their family or random visits from educational social workers - unless they have something to hide.
Spoken like a true instrument of tyranny.

Do you have the same disdain about the 5th Amendment right to not be a witness against yourself?

Do you really think that just because you are accused of a crime, that you should be considered guilty before being proven innocent?

Do you think that just because you have been labeled a "suspect" that the police have a right to search all your possessions without a warrant and without your consent - which is prohibited per the 4th Amendment?

Are you are willing to give up both of those constitutionally guaranteed rights AND your right to not questioned without the presence of an attorney, just because you think that all cops are honest and that they never railroad to prison or death row people "who have nothing to hide", especially when the evidence proves the exact contrary?

Really?

Last edited by Harrier; 12-31-2013 at 01:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime