Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
503 shot, 107 homicides in Chicago. 45 in February and 5 in March. So far this year there is somebody shot nearly every 3 hours and a homicide every 14 hours, 5 minutes. Wait until it gets warm. The first weekend there are a double digit murders spring has arrived.
This past Saturday and Sunday were quite beautiful and nice in Chicago and no one was murdered in the city. It definitely follows trends with weather, but it's not "sure fire".

Old 03-07-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Chicago PD is on vacation
Yeah the police have definitely pulled back, for better or worse. They were involved with a lot of crap, but there was a LOT of crap going on in those neighborhoods that it was never easy to try and keep it rationally under control.

It's not the city blowing up, it's those same "routine" areas where there was always so much trouble before.

Police Shootings:

2016: 1
2015: 25
2014: 45
2013: 43
2012: 57
2011: 60

Stop and frisk in the city is down over 87% from 2015. Arrests are down by around 50%.

The police slowdown started to ebb the past few weeks finally, and there has been some progress made and front-line responses by the police.

The past 14 days have seen 10 murders, which is (sadly) a marked improvement from when there were around two per day in January and most of February. This past Saturday and Sunday saw no murders. February saw 37% fewer people shot than January.

As long as the crime stays in the areas with around 30% of the population and doesn't start going crazy for the other 70%....you don't hear much of an actual call to arms.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 03-07-2016 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah the police have definitely pulled back, for better or worse. They were involved with a lot of crap, but there was a LOT of crap going on in those neighborhoods that it was never easy to try and keep it rationally under control.

It's not the city blowing up, it's those same "routine" areas where there was always so much trouble before.

Police Shootings:

2016: 1
2015: 25
2014: 45
2013: 43
2012: 57
2011: 60

Stop and frisk in the city is down over 87% from 2015. Arrests are down by around 50%.

The police slowdown started to ebb the past few weeks finally, and there has been some progress made and front-line responses by the police.

The past 14 days have seen 10 murders, which is (sadly) a marked improvement from when there were around two per day in January and most of February. This past Saturday and Sunday saw no murders. February saw 37% fewer people shot than January.

As long as the crime stays in the areas with around 30% of the population and doesn't start going crazy for the other 70%....you don't hear much of an actual call to arms.
The sad part is that I once looked at Chicago to relocate to (from eastern Canada, Chicago weather can be seen as tropical weather...), even though the loop looks safe, the city wide crime rate made me cross that city from my list. Add to that that Chicago is the most segregated large US city so me being black would probably be advised from real estate agents to go to the south side where most of the ****s happen...

Old 03-07-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The sad part is that I once looked at Chicago to relocate to (from eastern Canada, Chicago weather can be seen as tropical weather...), even though the loop looks safe, the city wide crime rate made me cross that city from my list. Add to that that Chicago is the most segregated large US city so me being black would probably be advised from real estate agents to go to the south side where most of the ****s happen...
Well New York City is more segregated than Chicago in the most recent studies. It's segregated but it's not like you are forced to live somewhere or not interact with anyone.

Most of the crime is in specific spots, the downtown area and north side are quite safe.

As a person with a job relocating to the city with money, I doubt any real estate agencies would have tried to get you to move to the south side, they don't care what color you are. Most of the transplants are on the north side or downtown, regardless of color.

The south side neighborhoods are the most segregated by far. The black neighborhoods are the most segregated.

I was just reading that of all the white-majority areas, none of them downtown or on the north lakefront/northwest side are solid white by any means. All those white areas are on average at least 30% or so minority.

White neighborhoods in the city are the most diverse, followed by Hispanic neighborhoods and then black neighborhoods.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well New York City is more segregated than Chicago in the most recent studies. It's segregated but it's not like you are forced to live somewhere or not interact with anyone.

Most of the crime is in specific spots, the downtown area and north side are quite safe.

As a person with a job relocating to the city with money, I doubt any real estate agencies would have tried to get you to move to the south side, they don't care what color you are. Most of the transplants are on the north side or downtown, regardless of color.

The south side neighborhoods are the most segregated by far. The black neighborhoods are the most segregated.

I was just reading that of all the white-majority areas, none of them downtown or on the north lakefront/northwest side are solid white by any means. All those white areas are on average at least 30% or so minority.

White neighborhoods in the city are the most diverse, followed by Hispanic neighborhoods and then black neighborhoods.
I am an online seller (ebay and amazon) so I am my own boss and can live pretty much anywhere as long as I have an internet access.
I wanted to live in the loop because the condos are plain gorgeous but still that bad press Chicago gets..

and besides, I do not really like NYC... Once you see times square, and if you are not into party 2/7, you get used to it pretty quick in your tuna can sized appartment

Old 03-07-2016, 06:27 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Wow! Chicago is Crime City. Don't think I will let my children go to college there. Chicago the next Detroit?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:46 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
The segregation has left a bad taste in my mouth for Chicago.

I lived in Hyde Park for several years on the south side and its only one of a handful of neighborhoods where there is a sizable Black population integrated with other races. Very few Northside neighborhoods have a sizable black professional class living together with other races.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:48 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
St. Louis is at 19

Old 03-08-2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Wow! Chicago is Crime City. Don't think I will let my children go to college there. Chicago the next Detroit?
My though exactly... You can live in a classy neighborhood but you never know who your kids interact with at school/university/outside

Old 03-08-2016, 05:01 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
3/7:

Richmond 14, Norfolk 6...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime