Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times

Advertisements

Open Cases: Why One-Third Of Murders In America Go Unresolved : NPR

When you consider the amount of money that goes into law enforcement and the Technology we have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 08:00 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
I guess it depends on the area.

Take a city that is laden with gangs. No one talks, the gun is often tossed... It's hard to get enough proof to convict. In fact, in many other cases it's difficult to get enough proof to convict. Often all that they have is circumstantial evidence. Or maybe no victim's body.

Also, often they find the murderer but they are not convicted- OJ Simpson comes to mind.

Overall, I think the police do a fine job with homicides.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 AM

529 posts, read 507,857 times
I don't expect most gang, mob, or murders related to those expressly immersed in underground criminal networks (or constant activity to the point it is their lifestyle) to be solved. If you control for those variable in a study, I expect the solvency rate of murders is quite high. Evidently, I imagine everyone would like to say 100% of murders should be solved. However, we live in the real world. So, I expect a clearance rate of three quarters of all murders to be quite could, which I imagine it already is when you remove the less savory...

Old 06-06-2016, 05:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I guess it depends on the area.

Take a city that is laden with gangs. No one talks, the gun is often tossed... It's hard to get enough proof to convict. In fact, in many other cases it's difficult to get enough proof to convict. Often all that they have is circumstantial evidence. Or maybe no victim's body.

Also, often they find the murderer but they are not convicted- OJ Simpson comes to mind.

Overall, I think the police do a fine job with homicides.
I think this is overblown. But let's say that's true, with the amount of money man power and technology that law enforcement has at its disposal should "well no one talks" be a valid excuse for why so many murders go unsolved?

I live in NYC, there are literally cameras everywhere. I can't go over 5 miles above the speed limit without a camera ticket in my mail but none of these cameras catch Any real crimes on tape?

Old 06-07-2016, 11:04 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times

Like the old time Mafia hits. Why investigate? Why waste resources? These gangs are self-policing. Whoever
will get their due payback. Like that rapper in Vegas that was gunned down on the Strip. Still haven't found the shooter. Oh well..........

Overall, I think the police do a fine job with homicides.[/quote]

Old 06-07-2016, 01:31 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I think this is overblown. But let's say that's true, with the amount of money man power and technology that law enforcement has at its disposal should "well no one talks" be a valid excuse for why so many murders go unsolved?

I live in NYC, there are literally cameras everywhere. I can't go over 5 miles above the speed limit without a camera ticket in my mail but none of these cameras catch Any real crimes on tape?
Those cameras aren't designed to catch criminals. Depending on the mode, they are simply for traffic monitoring or enforcement. More police don't equate to higher clearance levels. It is relatively easy to commit a crime and not get caught. If solving crimes was easy and simply a matter of throwing money at it, there wouldn't be unsolved crimes.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:19 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
In overall terms I think our law enforcement agencies do a good job with homicide clearance rates, sure some agencies are better than others but the reality is that we will never be able to solve 100% of crimes, muchless homicides.

What I AM curious to see is what percentage of unsolved cases are from before DNA and other modern techniques (ie: mid-late 1990s onward) vs the immediate past. I would venture a guess that for most agencies, most of their unsolved cases are 15-20 years+ old.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I'd be satisfied with 99%. Of course, I'd also like to see every convicted murdered get a death sentence. You take someones life, you don't deserve to live yourself.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
It's gotten a lot better now with surveillance, DNA, etc. IN the 1980s and before it was easy to get away with murder. Most murders from that era are still unsolved!

Old 06-21-2016, 04:21 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
A 100% ACCURATE clearance rate would work fine for me. None of the West Memphis Three stuff, convicting someone who's been pressured to confess because we don't like his taste in music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime