Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Yeah this one is crazy. He felt no remorse, look at his smug look as he walks.

Luckily the jury agreed and only gave him 5 years.

Of probation

Old 12-31-2016, 05:10 PM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
Jean Harris probably. She said she didn't do it. It was an accident. Those were her circumstances but she did a lot of good work when she was in jail.

I also sympathize with Betty Broderick because she was nuts and her husband and his wife poked her with a stick.

She isn't the most sympathetic character but she is the most honest. She killed him and he had it coming.

Like that song from Chicago....He had it coming.

I don't follow many cases because brutality and violence isn't an interest, but a few cases are interesting because of the 'Why?' and 'What were they thinking' factor.

I don't know much about the Andrea Yates story but from what I know, she wasn't supposed to be left alone with the children. This much was known. Her motive was to save her children so they could go to heaven. She did plan it.

I worked at a psych hospital briefly at one time. There was a lady who came for day classes and she did that to her kids, 4 or 5 of them. I didn't know details.

I don't know why there are no men on the list. I know the Scott Peterson story and he didn't want to pay child support so what else was he supposed to do. If everybody had minded their own business then things would have gone as planned. His perfect crime was spoiled by the pesky investigators and his big mouth girlfriend. That was a pity.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Manson was always a liar and his mother wasn't a prostitute. He was born illegitimate but spent sometime with family members when he was young. They said he was always a difficult and troublesome child. A manipulator from a young age.

I read a book recently about his life story called Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn. He interviewed members of Charles Manson's family such as his sister and cousin. His mother was a bit wild but straightened herself out when older. She wasn't a prostitute. Guinn also interviewed childhood friends and his cellmates. It is a very interesting book. A lot of what Manson said about his early years is a fabrication.

https://www.amazon.com/Manson-Life-T.../dp/1451645171
There are literally dozens of sites online to the contrary. So I'm wondering what the source is for this assertion. If it's family members I can see their unwillingness to describe her as a prostitute and rather call her a "bit wild."

I guess she was a "bit wild!" By the time Charlie was four she was in prison. That's one of the reasons he "spent some time" with family members. Kids whose parents are criminals tend to have some behavior problems so at that age it was hardly unexpected.

I'd be more apt to say the system created Charlie since no one would take on the task of a permanent parent.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
I can understand that. The man is sick not a criminal and too bad the nations mental health system is in shambles since then president Reagan destroyed nearly all of it. he belongs in something much different than a prison.
A correction. The movement was initiated by President Kennedy with the Community Health Act. That's what made Reagan's actions possible.

Neither party wants to spend money on mental health.

https://www.thenationalcouncil.org/a...al-health-act/

Old 01-01-2017, 08:21 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
There are literally dozens of sites online to the contrary. So I'm wondering what the source is for this assertion. If it's family members I can see their unwillingness to describe her as a prostitute and rather call her a "bit wild."

I guess she was a "bit wild!" By the time Charlie was four she was in prison. That's one of the reasons he "spent some time" with family members. Kids whose parents are criminals tend to have some behavior problems so at that age it was hardly unexpected.

I'd be more apt to say the system created Charlie since no one would take on the task of a permanent parent.
It's a well researched book and the author spoke to his family members. Charlie spent time with his aunt and uncle and the female cousin in the book spoke about his time with them. They did try to do their best with him but he was always a manipulator and a difficult child. They were quite normal, churchgoing people. His mother was never a prostitute although she did get in trouble for robbing a service station with a ketchup bottle with her brother. She had an unstable life for a few years but she was not a prostitute. Charlie's half-sister was also interviewed. His mother tried to help Charlie when he was older. Charlie's life was no more difficult than a lot of people and he did embellish a lot of things. Charlie is an undoubted liar and this is a very well documented book. The book is a very good read and I would recommend it. A lot of sites on the internet will often copy from other sources and it doesn't mean they are correct. That is a very common thing on the net.

If he had a stable home life from the beginning that might possibly had made the difference but it is not always the case. I've also read about people that have had two loving parents and they still turn out psychopaths. The story of his mother being a prostitute is just not true. A lot of the Manson kids came from good homes as well. I'm not disputing that Charlie had a difficult life but he did have chances to lead a normal life. He just didn't want to do that.

Last edited by Bernie20; 01-01-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 01-01-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
It's a well researched book and the author spoke to his family members. Charlie spent time with his aunt and uncle and the female cousin in the book spoke about his time with them. They did try to do their best with him but he was always a manipulator and a difficult child. They were quite normal, churchgoing people. His mother was never a prostitute although she did get in trouble for robbing a service station with a ketchup bottle with her brother. She had an unstable life for a few years but she was not a prostitute. Charlie's half-sister was also interviewed. His mother tried to help Charlie when he was older. Charlie's life was no more difficult than a lot of people and he did embellish a lot of things. Charlie is an undoubted liar and this is a very well documented book. The book is a very good read and I would recommend it. A lot of sites on the internet will often copy from other sources and it doesn't mean they are correct. That is a very common thing on the net.

If he had a stable home life from the beginning that might possibly had made the difference but it is not always the case. I've also read about people that have had two loving parents and they still turn out psychopaths. The story of his mother being a prostitute is just not true. A lot of the Manson kids came from good homes as well. I'm not disputing that Charlie had a difficult life but he did have chances to lead a normal life. He just didn't want to do that.
Well I have found several sites about the "truth and lies" about Mr. Manson. Everything is questionable on the internet of course.

And the longer time goes the more difficult it is to perceive the truth. It's true that every family member will have his own version.

I have long since decided that he was representative of the "sins of his generation," our national scapegoat, and has been punished accordingly.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:07 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I feel no sympathy for murderers.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:06 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I've seen these women in prison shows where victims of long-term and severe abuse killed their abusers and wind up in prison. Like Betty Broderick.
I mean, come on. Is there no justice, no plea of self-defense here?
Another is an Ohio man who has been convicted of killing his wife after 3 trials: Ryan Widmer. Google and read. This case was also on Dateline or one of those shows. I do not believe that he did it after everything I've seen and read. I believe there is reasonable doubt here and that this man needs to be freed.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well I have found several sites about the "truth and lies" about Mr. Manson. Everything is questionable on the internet of course.

And the longer time goes the more difficult it is to perceive the truth. It's true that every family member will have his own version.

I have long since decided that he was representative of the "sins of his generation," our national scapegoat, and has been punished accordingly.
Yes I agree it is difficult to get the truth especially with someone like Manson who has been the subject of quite a few books. He is definitely an interesting character even if very sinister.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I've seen these women in prison shows where victims of long-term and severe abuse killed their abusers and wind up in prison. Like Betty Broderick.
I mean, come on. Is there no justice, no plea of self-defense here?
Another is an Ohio man who has been convicted of killing his wife after 3 trials: Ryan Widmer. Google and read. This case was also on Dateline or one of those shows. I do not believe that he did it after everything I've seen and read. I believe there is reasonable doubt here and that this man needs to be freed.
Yes I agree that Betty Broderick was pushed to extremes. She was treated terribly by her ex-husband and his new wife. Her husband knew how to push her buttons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime