Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
This Letter From The Stanford Sex Offender's Dad Epitomizes Rape Culture
Only in a rape culture can sexual assault be referred to as "20 minutes of action."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...593f14cb30/amp

Speaks to attitudes about women Turner was raised with.
I don't think it's fair to focus on those 5 words. I read the entire letter. He feels his son is being unfairly convicted. And he apologized for his choice of words. Not that the public would accept it.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
You also think I rape drunk people. When you're smart enough to tell me what I think, I'll let you know.

Far too complex for you to grasp, but emotion over what? Think harder than you have been and you might actually get where I'm going. But if you are going to continue with the usual, why bother? You have nothing of nutritional value to offer.

I don't have a "case", unless you mean I'm not getting through to you, which is not my goal at this point.

I said I would use it, if possible. Where do you practice law, btw?
There's a lot of rational people like me you'll need to convince so you better brush up your skills - I don't think YOU have a law degree either.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
She has plenty of repercussions for her behavior and poor choices. She has to live with what was done to her. But she committed no crime.
Why do you folks insist on arguing she is being accused of a crime?

Quote:
He is responsible for HIS actions.
No one has held her responsible for his actions.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
She made a habit of having blackout sex with strangers she met at parties. How is this episode any different just because it happened outdoors?
I read that she had a few blackouts before, not that she had blackout sex with strangers. Where did you read the latter?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Did you read the police report? If anything poor little Brock got off easy because daddy came to the rescue. Now he is whining because he has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. The tag fits.
How did daddy come to the rescue? What are you talking about?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There's a lot of stuff being "made up". That's what defense lawyers do - make up a bunch of sh|te and hope some of it sticks to create reasonable doubt. Some may be plausible and some not...it can certainly be very creative and a charismatic lawyer can get away with a lot...posters on here, not so much.
I haven't actually made anything up. I am considering all the details and the alternatives. Because, you know, she doesn't actually remember.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Why do you folks insist on arguing she is being accused of a crime?

No one has held her responsible for his actions.
Plenty of posters have said she shares responsibility, and one poster even said that she should be sued. Another poster said she committed a crime of public intoxication. So yes, there have been plenty of accusations leveled at the victim on this thread.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
PassTheChocolate, do you have any legal education or experience? Have you ever worked in a prosecutor's or DA's office, and in a special victims unit or DV unit? Have you ever seen a sexual assault trial in person? Are you aware of how difficult these cases typically are to prosecute, that this one was not much more difficult than the average case? Have you ever worked closely with detectives who investigate these types of crimes? Speak to victims or see them speak about it to investigators?

His appeal doesn't mean anything about the case or sufficiency of the state's evidence. It is nothing unusual or particular. A first appeal is a right, and many appeal just because why not, what do they have to lose?, and if courts will hear it, you can appeal all the way to a state supreme court and in rare cases, SCOTUS. He and thousands and thousands of other convicted defendants appeal their cases for similar reasons. He has been convicted by a jury who obviously saw enough evidence to convict. On appeal, the evidence is viewed in a light most favorable to the prosecution, because it has been reviewed once already by a group of people and there has been a conviction. It is unlikely his case will be overturned on evidence sufficiency. Probably because he is actually guilty. Like 95-99% of convicted people. Brock is mad that he didn't get away with a sexual assault. He is mad that his bad decisions got him in trouble. He has an entitlement issue. Take a number, Brock.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:52 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Quote:
I don't think it's fair to focus on those 5 words. I read the entire letter. He feels his son is being unfairly convicted. And he apologized for his choice of words. Not that the public would accept it.
It may be unfair; these are words he'll be remembered for.
It speaks volumes.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Does anyone know - is there another explanation for her being out there, by the dumpster except that she intended to go home with him and passed out on the way to his room?

Note: not that it makes a difference, but the description of "the dumpster" in his appeal papers describes it differently. Apparently it wasn't a dumpster, but an open 3 sided structure that would normally be used to house a dumpster. Like a very small partially enclosed structure with the opening facing the fraternity house and viewable from the house.

Last edited by ClaraC; 01-13-2018 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime