Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:16 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
I believe there is, seen something on my internet searches when I found the movie. I only skimmed through the movie/ interview, if I get the time I'll watch the entirety and check on a book also. It was a long time ago and there is some DNA, but it's been unsuccessfully analysed two or three times if I recall correctly, To degraded and small amounts.
Listened to audio posted. About an hour long interesting dialog on case mystery.

The half hr that follows, feedback from listeners on previous topic discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 02:21 PM

39 posts, read 27,265 times
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+scout+murders

Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,155 times
I listened to a podcast about this a few months ago. I had never heard of it until then. I wish they had been able to solve it

Part 1:
https://www.parcast.com/unsolved/201...-scout-murders

Part 2:
https://www.parcast.com/unsolved/201...-scout-murders

Old 10-11-2018, 01:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
This case interested me. I sent my child to Girl Scouts camp (in North Texas) for several years in a row. This year, her and her friend told me a man had stalked them at camp looking in their window. I dismissed it as just campfire talk but my daughter insisted it was true. I had not heard of this case at the time.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
the book was called tent number 8 . I wish I had kept the book but I gave it away to someone who had history with this camp in Oklahoma and apparently their father had something to do with the case but they wanted the book very badly so I traded for another book . But yes the book was very interesting and it was titled tent number 8 .

Old 10-11-2018, 03:39 PM

859 posts, read 705,126 times
-I read this story from the link you provided above, and I checked what mentioned in Wikipedia and googled about about this story and read, I tried to watch the whole documentary about it but unfortunately, I don't get all topics discussed, I hope if they wrote the text on the screen.

-In related with what mentioned in the link. The thing that REALLY surprising/confusing me is how could someone receive a threaten letter with a frank term in killing in such a circumstance (camp) and ignore it or considerate it a "prank"!! If the letter were personal that sent to someone's home. The damage if he ignored, would be on himself. But to be in a camp that hosts a lot of girls, it's a big responsibility. How couldn't feel scared/worried and take the letter seriously. I wonder if that time was soooooooooo much safe so that people were too simple for the extent that "threaten letter" consider a "prank". In fact, even if this was just a prank, they still need to know/investigate who could kidding in this heavy way, in order to just make sure and feel comfortable that nothing bad would happen.

-The second thing is the picture of the tent, tent is not a building, it looks nice with green trees. But unfortunately, I don't think such a place would give a feeling of safe especially at night SINCE there is no locked doors, and easy to break into it. If the girl who was crying for her mama at the same night of the crime wasn't one of the victims, I can understand why she was crying. she's more scared than missing her mom actually. Tent with open door,at night +some voices of insects +other things such as lights release from flashlight as it mentioned, maybe shadow of person/s....etc. It would be creepy. It's OK to make tents for camping only if there is HIGH security surrounding whole the camp in all times.

-This is not just murder crime, it's more than killing, it had a torture. The one who committed it is/are monster/s. I wonder what makes someone has this amount of antagonism/malice and against kids, too!!

There are a a lot of wondering in this story, one of the important wondering is this one:
Quote:
[Two months beforethe murders, during a training session, a counselors' tent was ransacked and a note was left behind in a doughnut box. In the hand-written note, the writer declared that three campers would be murdered. The note was dismissed as a prank and trashed.
-The one who has ability to ransack your tent and steal stuff from it, would have ability to execute his threat as well. 2 months before the crime they received a threaten letter. 2 months are long period relatively.
My main wondering here is what makes the killer/s INFORM the head of the camp (counselors whose responsible in organizing and making decisions) of their intention?Then wait 2 months before executing their threat? And after they executed it, they committed it in an extremely brutal way.
I couldn't analyse this for certain. But one of my thoughts says:
Usually, in reality stories, when someone wants to steal,as example, he doesn't inform others that he's gonna steal them, and when he wants to kill, he doesn't inform them (Unless he has/expect something behind it). This is what I'm wondering about. What's the purpose of informing the head of the camp in their intention of committing crime?

-One of the theories that comes to my mind_but not claim it for certain_ is killer/s had given them a threaten letter in order to force them to LEAVE THE CAMP QUICKLY.
So, that's what makes me wonder of the EXACT content of the letter that a killer had sent to them, what was mentioned literally? Is there something missing?
Even if what's written was just "3 campers would be killed". I understand this Msg EXACTLY as "You have to leave the camp, otherwise, 3 campers would be killed.
It's mentioned in the link that the camp has several activities and the area was once full of frolic and fun. The question, was there much noise that bothering some people who lived around this area at that time, as example?
Did the threaten letter come suddenly without any introductions? or after some incidents that the counselors didn't pay attention to it or dealing with it exactly like dealing with the threaten letter (prank).
did the counselors face some people who were too upset/angry, for instance, and ignored them several times before the crime and didn't take them seriously until those criminals reached to use a threaten letter method? It's just wondering. Because the way the criminals killed the girls are too brutal.

It gives impression that the one who did this was mad and too vengeful/malevolent, as if he lost his mind after waiting 2 months and then put all his anger/malice on those little kids. Obviously, this crime was planned during those 2 months. The criminal has ability to break into their camp, and discover/steal/watch them. At the end, choose the target tent.
The most far tent has the youngest campers, 8,9,10 Y. It's not a good idea in organizing the camp in this way, but it was a good chance for the killer/s at that time.

- This story has full of mistakes that they can prevent it only if they thought better at that time, one of the mistake is, when the counselor woke up from sleeping after hearing strange voices like frog, and decided to investigate. Although,She heard something wrong and unexplained voices, noted something strange when she turned on/off her flash light. but after all she decided to turn back to bed and sleep. We can't blame her to get back, she must have felt uncomfortable/scared. But for others, she didn't think& act perfectly. She might not feel real danger, too.

-Originally, it wasn't a good idea for female to go to investigate ALONE AT NIGHT in that area. Actually, she needs at least 2 men to investigate. Or to contact security/police there, In the worse situation where is no any close men to contact for checking, maybe she can wake up other females counselors and go to investigate as GROUP such as 8,10 of females not just 1, group would be more disturbing to the killer/s.

-There is something important mentioned in the documentary about eyeglasses, I didn't understand the speaker's terms, but from the picture I understand that they found several broken eyeglasses in the crime area, I guess these eyeglasses were stolen.
If these eyeglasses were belonged to the camp's residents, and stolen from them before the crime, it would be another sign, that there is someone has ability to enter their tents easily and steal their stuff. But what makes a killer interested in stealing eyeglasses specifically?
It seems a stupid idea to steal an eyeglasses since everyone is different in his vision's degree and, eyeglasses are designed according to it, although he (killer) interested in stealing eyeglasses?

-What comes to my mind about this is that the killer or one of them, at least had eye vision's problem, he strongly needs to wear eyeglasses, but instead of going to pay for medical checking and design an eyeglasses that fits his vision needs, he keep stealing the others eyeglasses, in order to try it every time, maybe one of them could fit his vision's problem. He MAY have financial issue, too. Then, when he found out later that stolen eyeglasses don't fit his vision's needs, he broke them. And that's MAYBE could explain finding several broken eyeglasses in the crime area.
I can't say this as a certain reason, of course, because still there are other possible reasons such as a desire to annoy campers to force them to leave the camp. Because usually, people who used to wear eyeglasses or extremely need to wear their eyeglasses all the time, it would be too annoying not to find their stuff, it could be a big deal, they might not stand to wait until finishing the trip.

- The last wondering is about the location they set the corpse,(But here I may be misunderstood what's written, I'm not really sure) it's mentioned_according to my understanding that the investigation determined/said 2 of the girls were killed inside their tent, and the last one was outside, and the corpses of the 3 girls were put in sleep bags and thrown far from their tent. My wondering here is, what makes a killer put the corpse in sleep bags and bring them outside their tent in that location/spot mentioned specifically?
When he killed 2 girls inside their tent, (if this were proved) why didn't he/they leave the bodies inside the tent?
What's the purpose of putting the dead girls inside their sleep bags and set them in that location near of the shower?
According to what mentioned in Wikipedia:
Quote:
It was soon discovered that all three girls in tent #8 had been killed. Their bodies had been left on a trail leading to the showers, about 150 yards from their tent at summer camp
I find this difficult to understand, but I noticed something caught my attention here.
According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
At around 6 a.m. on June 13, a camp counselor on her way to the shower found a girl's body in her sleeping bag in the forest.
Let's turn back to the beginning, the beginning of the story started with a "Threaten Letter" that found inside donuts box in the counselors tent. And at the end, the girl's corpse were set near or on the way that leads to shower, and it seems (maybe usually) the first one who go to take a shower is from counselors. I say, MAYBE that's way those criminals set the girls corpse in that spot. Because they know that the counselors would see it first. I understand this way as a msg. As if they want to say:
"Look, we informed you and we did it".
This one makes me wonder if there was any conflicts/problem between the counselors and someone else at that time. Something might be personal turned later to a revenge as example. I might be wrong though.

It's just assumptions, I might be wrong in my thinking in all what mentioned.

May God bless victims souls

Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
-
-In related with what mentioned in the link. The thing that REALLY surprising/confusing me is how could someone receive a threaten letter with a frank term in killing in such a circumstance (camp) and ignore it or considerate it a "prank"!! If the letter were personal that sent to someone's home. The damage if he ignored, would be on himself. But to be in a camp that hosts a lot of girls, it's a big responsibility. How couldn't feel scared/worried and take the letter seriously. I wonder if that time was soooooooooo much safe so that people were too simple for the extent that "threaten letter" consider a "prank". In fact, even if this was just a prank, they still need to know/investigate who could kidding
My thought is that perhaps the handwriting in the letter looked like a child's handwriting, so they thought it was a kid pulling a prank. I don't know. I wonder if a photograph of that letter was available for evidence.

My feeling also is that there was more than one killer. It may have been two people working together.

I want to read the book Tent Number 8 because there are lots of questions I have about all this.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:36 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,474,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think there was a book written about this particular crime I cant remember the name and the book is long gone.

Here's one, and I believe there was another called Camp Scott Killing, or some-such.

https://www.amazon.com/Someone-cry-c.../dp/0803782837

Old 10-13-2018, 07:53 PM

436 posts, read 578,760 times
I went to Camp Waluhili, the Camp Fire girls camp in Oklahoma in the 70s. There was no high security at a camp for children during this era. The cabins and platform tents I stayed in at Camp Waluhili were not locked. The camp (not Camp Scott) was fenced and gated, they probably thought in the 60s and 70s that was all the security that was needed. It was a different time then. We didn't have police or security to go investigate noises in the middle of the night at these camps.

The nature of these girls camps is that in the middle of the night we would sneak off. We had snipe hunts, climbed trees and threw sticks, made hoot owl noises outside of windows, took canoes out on the lake during the moonlight, scared each other while we went to the bathroom making all sorts of noises and racket. It was not unusual for girls to prank each other at camp day and night. In the counselor's defense they probably thought it was the typical middle of the night shenanigans and that if there were truly an issue one of the girls would have raised the alarm. Sleeping was incidental, having fun and being goofy away from home was paramount, the camp was full of shrieks, laughter, giggles, chatter and joyful noises all day and into some of the night. If caught we were threatened with camp expulsion and the next day it would all begin again. It was a wonderful magical innocent time and it is so very sad that it ended.

There is a very comprehensive 6 part article in the Tulsa World in June of 2017 about the Girl Scout murders for anyone who is interested in reading it.
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/year...14bb59320.html

Last edited by RedTexanTea; 10-13-2018 at 08:22 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 04:05 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Yes, I’d say it was a more innocent time.

That was also the year Son of Sam was finally caught after that 76-77 murder spree. Another loss of innocence. And Rodney Alcala, the Dating Game Killer, was in full swing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._United_States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime