Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
"Son" by Jack Olsen. It's about a serial rapist in early 1980s Spokane named Kevin Coe. I don't scare easily, but this book is so vividly written that it creeped me out more than the books I've read about actual murderers. There was a tv movie based on this book starring Elizabeth Montgomery called "Sins of the Mother" (Kevin was a mama's boy, to put it mildly).
I'm a true crime afficianadoand this book was my first thought. I've read probably hundreds but this one resonated.
Jack Olsen is a wonderful true crime writer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie
Many of the books youse have mentioned have stuck with me over the years, but one that really still makes me feel sick just to think about is Darcy O'Brien's Two of a Kind, about the Hillside Stranglers. They were just so depraved and cruel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I just finished this one on my Kindle and it has a similar effect on me.
I looked it up on Amazon and it doesn't seem to be available for Kindle.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Quote:
Many of the books youse have mentioned have stuck with me over the years, but one that really still makes me feel sick just to think about is Darcy O'Brien's Two of a Kind, about the Hillside Stranglers. They were just so depraved and cruel.

I actually read it on my nook. (I go back and forth between them and mixed it up, sorry)

Old 09-01-2013, 11:57 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
The scariest one I ever read was Journey Into Darkness by John Douglas. I'd read his previous book, Mindhunter, but the cases in Journey Into Darkness were so disturbing that I didn't sleep well for the next two nights after I finished it. It's just frightening that there are people like this out there, and some of those who committed these murders have never been caught. I lent it to a friend who began to read it and then said, "I can't read this, I just can't" and gave it to her cop boyfriend.

Journey Into Darkness: John E. Douglas, Mark Olshaker: 9781439199817: Amazon.com: Books

I've also read his book The Cases That Haunt Us, which covers Jon Benet Ramsey (on which the author was a consultant) and Jack The Ripper.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Quote:

It's been re-released under the title The Hillside Stranglers, if that helps.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I got into True Crime stories when I worked at the Women's prison. All the female officers were talking about this one book, "Small Sacrifices". It was an Ann Rule book about Diane Downs. If you haven't read it, this is THE Ann Rule book to read.

I also read 'The Burning Bed', about Francine Hughes who was abused for many years by her husband, Mickey. She set his bed on fire with him in it. This was a Michigan case, in 1977. I met her one time when I worked for the local bank. I support her 100% after reading this book.

But the one Ann Rule book that really opened my mind to a Sociopath or Psychopath was "Dead by Sunset". The perpetrator's name was Brad Cunningham. OMG, I still believe EVERY high school and or college should require this guy's case to be part of a mandatory class about the human mind and how it thinks and works.

Back in the 1980's-1990's I worked at 4 of Michigans correctional facilities. I was aware of every crime that happened when the perpetrator was sentenced to prison. I even went to school with some of the convicts.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:49 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Truman Capote's In Cold Blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I was one of those people in SoCal in the 1980s. In reality, I wasn't and most people weren't scared since the probability that one of us would be a victim was a lot less than getting killed in a car crash.
You must have been in the minority. Everyone I knew was scared during that time until the Night Stalker was arrested.
//www.city-data.com/forum/true-...t-stalker.html

Old 09-05-2013, 04:56 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Well I am just getting started in true crime books (I've only read a handful). I mean, I read all of the OJ Simpson books and I guess that qualifies. But I would say the first one that stayed with me was Helter Skelter. I'm still scared of people just walking into my house.

I have the sample of "Stranger Beside Me" on my kindle but it didn't grab me. I don't think I gave it the attention it deserves. I have Truman Capote's book and also the Night Stalker book in my wish list to get.

I love these threads because I read about all the good books to read. Keep the posts coming!!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,654 times
Anyone who has read Helter Skelter might like the documentary "Six Degrees of Helter Skelter". It's a really well made movie and the host takes you to the locations important to the story with a great narration.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Small Sacrifices by Ann Rule. I will never forget this book. Never.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 09-08-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime