Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:02 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

^Cause of Death by Cyril Wecht is very good. I forgot about that until I saw virgode's post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 07:05 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Phillip Markoff was another murderer who seemed to be normal on the outside (The Craiglist Killer). His fiance truly believed there was a terrible mixup when he was arrested for murder.

I don't know that there is a book about him yet.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The true crime books that are the hardest to digest are the books involving excessive physical abuse of children. I've gotten half-way thru some of these and? "Oh Lord, is it going to get any worse in the next chapter? Can it get any more heart-wrenching?" And? You read on and it gets even worse! And you kick yourself for being curious enough to continue reading it hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel.....snipped......
my thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Wow... I feel the same way. You look at people differently after reading those accounts.

I started to believe a great deal of the problems in the world are due to children who have been abused/abandoned/neglected by their parents. They probably have the lowest self esteem because "If my parents don't care about me I must be really bad"
This bears repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Truman Capote's In Cold Blood.

Probably my first true crime book and made a lasting impression on me. Since we lived way out in the country with no close neighbors, it scared me to death. The movie was excellent.

This one stayed with me for a long time, along with many others.
www.reviewingtheevidence.com | NO ONE CAN HURT HIM ANY MORE, by Carol J. Rothgeb and Scott H. Cupp
Scott Cupp was a hero in my book. I even wrote him an email once as to how much I admired his persistence in bringing this case to trial against almost insurmountable odds. He graciously thanked me and that was it.

AJ's Story: Newspaper Articles

I think I have read all of the above mentioned books by others. Sometimes I have to take a break from all of the murder and mayhem or it overburdens my soul. I owe it to the children to bear witness to their stories though.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
''In Cold Blood'' also gave me nightmares and fears for years.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:12 PM

73 posts, read 222,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
For me it was House of Secrets by Lowell Cauffiel.

I've been reading true crime for twenty plus years and this one just stands out. At first I was almost embarrassed to be a true crime fan. What drew me to it was the investigation and all the things the bad guys did to avoid getting caught, and all the things law enforcement did to catch them. Being true made it that much more interesting. THis book was different because it was so well written AND was not about law enforcement... the crimes were depraved and haunting.

I'd be interested if anyone else had that one book that stayed with them.
Ann rules books can spook you out too. I read all of them. She is, in my opinion, the best true crime writer out there. I read biographies and true crime. Make-believe fiction does not interest me.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times
Fatal Vision. After seeing the movie and reading the book I looked up the newspaper articles on microfilm.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Let's not forget ''Helter Skelter''.

Way beyond freaked me out as a teenager. I might read that one again sometime.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:57 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Let's not forget ''Helter Skelter''.

Way beyond freaked me out as a teenager. I might read that one again sometime.
There are great books mentioned in this thread. Helter Skelter is my No 1 True Crime book. Scary and fascinating with a lot of information on how "The Family" lived and background about the main protagonists.

It grips you from the start. I always remember the opening lines of the book. "It was so quiet, one of the killers would later say, you could almost hear the sound of ice rattling in cocktail shakers in the homes way down the canyon."

It still gives me goosebumps every time I read it.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Phillip Markoff was another murderer who seemed to be normal on the outside (The Craiglist Killer). His fiance truly believed there was a terrible mixup when he was arrested for murder.

I don't know that there is a book about him yet.
Make no mistake, there are books out already! Seven Days of Rage by Paul La Rosa is one; A Date With Death is another by Michele McPhee; then Aaron Patterson and Reagan Martin both have books out called The Craigslist Killer. The problems is that there are so many Craigslist killers now that you have to make sure you have the right book. Even the uncaught beach-burials guy on Long Island is a Craigslist Killer. It's enough to make you wonder how much Excedrin Jim Buckmaster goes thru in a week...

Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
I've got a long list, a lot have already been posted so I'll add:

Amazon.com: Abandoned Prayers: Murder, the Amish, and Little Boy Blue (Audible Audio Edition): Gregg Olsen, Jeffrey Kafer: Books

This precious boy was known as Little Boy Blue, murdered by his Amish father. Another I cant remember the name of off the top of my head, was about a husband and wife who had many, many kids die. No one thought they were being killed, so let them adopt a little boy. The mom then killed him also and was caught. One of the saddest books I've ever read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime